The Trailer Build Guide - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Ticket Magnet

Name:  IMG_1515[1].jpg
Views: 811
Size:  144.0 KBIt has been awhile since I started this project and not a lot of progress has been made except that I know pretty much exactly where I am headed and am on course to end up with something I am happy with.
Name:  IMG_1516[1].jpg
Views: 1619
Size:  145.8 KB
First - it took f o r e v e r to get the correct wheel and tire combo so now I have 15" rims instead of the 17 inchers. Overall I lowered the trailer about 2 1/2."
Name:  IMG_1517[1].jpg
Views: 674
Size:  115.7 KB
Then I routed out a groove for the E-Track so that the deck of the trailer will stay flat in case I want to build sides and use it to haul a big load of something like dirt. I hve no plans to use it for that, but I am building it with pockets so I can put sides on it if I so choose. If you look close at one of the pics, you can see the groove the track goes into. The E-Track will straddle two boards with the gap between the boards allowing unwated debris to fall through to the ground instead of packing in and needing frequesnt cleaning.

Now it is at the shop for welding. I am having the tongue redone - the old one was crap; a side post installed to replace the post munted in the center of the tongue so I can tilt it completely up out of danger from dragging or high centering; lowering the side rails and fenders as close to 9 1/2" as possible so the doors can be operated. I may end up adding a 2x6 under the tires at the point where the doors get to the fenders to raise the car just enough to not hit.
Name:  IMG_1518[1].jpg
Views: 2866
Size:  149.7 KB
The sied bars were reomved and new LOWER sides will be fabricated with pockets and stuff
Name:  IMG_1519[1].jpg
Views: 614
Size:  141.1 KB
More to come but for now that is where I am at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 07:22 PM
The Enforcer

Why not make the fenders removable?

San
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Ticket Magnet

That's a good idea. I'll look at that. Thanks!

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 11:06 AM

Nice job Mike! Does that mean you will bring the Elise down to join us for some events next year?

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Ticket Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeongeneral View Post
Nice job Mike! Does that mean you will bring the Elise down to join us for some events next year?
I am counting on it!

Old Man - I considered the removable fender option. Upon further consideration, probably the best way to put it is that I want options that one person could comfortably perform and double axle fenders would probably be too heavy for me to perform on a regular basis and like it. Insead I think we have changed a few things and gained a little here and there and we'll be fine. But I do appreciate your sage advice.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 04:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4Racin View Post
I am counting on it!

Old Man - I considered the removable fender option. Upon further consideration, probably the best way to put it is that I want options that one person could comfortably perform and double axle fenders would probably be too heavy for me to perform on a regular basis and like it. Insead I think we have changed a few things and gained a little here and there and we'll be fine. But I do appreciate your sage advice.
Just to add to this conversation, if the fenders were hinged from the front or the back, you could have that "removable" feature...depending on what you were looking for. Or better yet...hinge it from both ends and have a removable pins...then you would have options.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Ticket Magnet

So here is the latest. The guys are doing a bang-up job on the trailer.

Name:  IMG_1583[1].jpg
Views: 559
Size:  131.9 KB

The ramps are one of the coolest things they have created. They are sooo light and fit perfect!

Name:  IMG_1580[1].jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  172.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1581[1].jpg
Views: 962
Size:  148.5 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Transporters, Trailers, Towing & Tie-downs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in