LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/)
-   Cars for sale (not Lotus) (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f162/)
-   -   1970 VW Bug - Mid Engine 400hp (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f162/1970-vw-bug-mid-engine-400hp-468352/)

Bugzilla 04-26-2019 12:50 PM

1970 VW Bug - Mid Engine 400hp

3 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone. After owning my Bug for nearly 6 years, its time to sell it. It just doesnt get used as much as it should and I dont have much free time now that I have a kid. Here are some details on it. I am going to uncover it, pull it out of the garage and take some better pictures over the weekend.

1970 VW Beetle

Body
- Fiberglass wide fenders - adds 6" to the overall width - made by Creative Car Craft
- Fiberglass trunk lid - Creative Car Craft
- Ron Lummus Racing wing
- Modified stock hood
- Original doors - comes with factory 2 piece windows and aftermarket 1 piece windows
- TR Motorsports C1 wheels 15x8 and 15x7.5 weight is around 13lbs
- Nitto NT01 tires 225/40 and 205/45 - 95% of tread left

Engine Chevy Ecotec 2.4L destroked to 2.3L
- Eaton blower making 10 psi
- Intercooled - ZZP dual pass kit
- JE Pistons 9.5:1 Coated tops and skirts
- Eagle H-beam rods
- CNC ported head
- Oversized inconel valves
- ZZP valve springs
- Comp cams
- Adjustable cam gears
- 2.2L crank
- 400hp and 8200rpm
- Lot of other engine goodies

Transmission
- Getrag F23 5 speed (FWD style)
- Spec stage 4 clutch (it actually has a very soft pedal)
- Solid hub 6 puck disk
- Exedy Chromoly flywheel
- Driveshaft Shop 600hp axles

Suspension
- Mazda Miata spindles
- Custom a-arms at all 4 corners - 1"x.095" chromoly tubing
- Heim joints everywhere - no rubber bushings or ball joints
- Wilwood 6 piston calipers up front
- 11" 2 piece Wilwood rotors up front
- Wilwood 4 piston calipers in rear
- 10" 1 piece sport rotors in the rear
- Wilwood Spec 37 pads
- QA1 double adjustable coilovers
- Couple of extra front and rear springs
- 3 piece front sway bar - 1-1/4" hollow
- Billet aluminum manual rack and pinion

Interior
- Livorsi Vantage View can bus gauges - reads all info from ecu
- Empi brake and clutch master cylinders
- Procar fixed back bucket seats
- 100% flat aluminum floor
- Carbon fiber engine hatch with clear viewing panel
- Fully insulated engine compartment
- 6 point roll cage
- 4 point harnesses from Crow
- Grant steering wheel with quick release
- TMI door panels with billet aluminum window cranks

Misc
- MEFI 4B ECU
- Custom made engine wiring harness
- Front mounted all aluminum radiator from AFCO (stainless steel tubes run through the chassis)
- Car has a flat bottom. Nothing sticks down past the frame
- All fittings and hose are AN style with braided stainless steel lines
- All bolts are grade 10
- Brake and clutch lines are stainless steel hard lines with braided stainless hoses
- Cabin mounted brake proportioning valve
- Custom gas tank with built in sump
- Equal length header ceramic coated
- 3" stainless exhaust with 2 Magnaflow mufflers - all connections are with v-band clamps
- Custom made front splitter. Fully adjustable and functional

Thats all the basic stuff. The car is just about 100% custom built besides the main portion of the body. I built it to go racing. Well sadly after years of owning it, I have only made it to 3 auto-x events (got one 1st place finish). Its an absolute blast to drive and turns heads everywhere. Currently the side windows are out but I will be putting them back in before the car sells. It has a race car paint job, not a show car paint job. The rear body panel cracked pulling it off the trailer (my spotter didnt tell me it was going to hit the cement) and I have plans to get that fixed before it sells as well. All minor stuff really. The car has a little bit over 500 miles on the build. Title in hand. Registration was just renewed. Currently registered in AZ but the car is located in Southern CA (Inland Empire). It is 100% legal to drive on the streets. Besides what I mentioned before, the car has no issues and is ready to be driven. Trades will be considered. Asking way less then what I have in it @ $22k obo. For those of you who dont have enough post to PM, you can email me at [email protected]. Here are some pictures to get started. More will be added over the weekend.

Bugzilla 04-26-2019 12:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)
And some more...

Ls1Rx7 04-27-2019 07:02 AM

What was the purpose of the build? I think you alluded to it when you mentioned autox but was it built to fit a certain class. Or is it a dual purpose car?

Bugzilla 04-27-2019 02:23 PM

It was built to be primarily an auto-x vehicle and to compete in the Optima series. Can easily be set up for road course duties if needed. It was not built for a certain class, more just to be fast and fun. But when I did compete, it was in the unlimited class, meaning zero limitations. I also wanted it to be tame enough to drive to work and around town. It cruises just fine down the highway @ 75 mph.

shay2nak 04-27-2019 02:41 PM

Cool! GLWS

Bugzilla 04-30-2019 02:38 PM

Thanks Shay2nak.

Well more pictures didnt happen this weekend. You can thank the rain for that. If I can get home before its dark sometime this week, pictures will happen. If not, it may be over the weekend but I doubt it as I have a track event in my Evo.

Ls1Rx7 05-01-2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugzilla (Post 5943504)
Thanks Shay2nak.

Well more pictures didnt happen this weekend. You can thank the rain for that. If I can get home before its dark sometime this week, pictures will happen. If not, it may be over the weekend but I doubt it as I have a track event in my Evo.

I would be creating as much content about this car as possible and posting in the FS thread. It's so custom it's nearly impossible for anyone to understand what they're really buying.

Bugzilla 05-02-2019 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ls1Rx7 (Post 5943822)
I would be creating as much content about this car as possible and posting in the FS thread. It's so custom it's nearly impossible for anyone to understand what they're really buying.

I will update my first post with some more info. Thanks for the suggestion. But even at that, you really wont understand what it is until you see it in person and go for a ride in it. To keep it simple, its the shell of a Bug on a custom full tube frame. Think of it like an Ariel Atom with a Bug body on it haha.

Bugzilla 05-02-2019 06:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More pictures. Not sure if you can see the carbon gauge faces or not. Last picture is of it running on a cold start.

Bugzilla 06-12-2019 03:08 PM

Pulling this off the market for now. I sold the engine out of it. Will probably be back on the market in a few months with a different engine and air conditioning added in.

Ls1Rx7 06-12-2019 05:17 PM

This thing really is cool. I just wish it was built from a kit or off some basic architecture to reference so you know what you're gettting into

Bugzilla 06-14-2019 05:36 PM

In a way it's based off a Miata, well suspension wise at least. But ya, other then that it's all custom! There really aren't any good kits available for stock bugs so I had to improvise. Plus I wanted a full tube frame. No kits for that...