The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

2-11 Project

8K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Catsailr27 
#1 ·
I have been a checking out LT for the last 4 years and have gained a lot of valuable information over that time … so thought it was about time I put a bit of information back .
Purcahsed my 2-11 approx 4 years ago in used condition with 3000km / 1850 miles on the clock . It was in almost perfect condition and since then I have systematically gone about changing just about everything.
It started with an innocent email to Phil enquiring about a little more power and ended up as a full blown project.
The project has taken almost 2 years to get to this stage and as per pictures below it has just completed an easy test day to check all parts and systems / leaks etc .

A full test with the body on is schedled in a couple of weeks , so will post more pictures and data then.
Have also posted a copy of the Dyno results … on a Dyna Pack ..so its 367 WHP running on E50.

The driving experience compared to OEM is best described as “Night and Day” Engine makes power everywhere and I havent really pushed it that hard at present …. A bit difficult with no body Shell !!
Very pleased with the way the initail test went and all pressures and temps are well within bounds .
The IAT temps have improved since the inclusion of the OEM intercooler and running E50 .

Car weight is 718 KG/ 1576lb with Body work / 40L of Fuel and all oils and water / no driver

And just for the record want to give a big shout out to Phil and the team at BOE who has been very helpful and patient throughout the process . It has been a big learning curve for me plus add in that I am based in Christchurch, New Zealand you start to get an idea of the issues involved.
Also to the team at Elise Parts in the UK .. great parts that fit like they are supposed to , great service and delivery … a big thanks to Geary and Ian.
The local guys here at NZEFI have also been fantastic , going the extra mile to get this car tuned
Happy to answer any questions

ENGINE & GEARBOX
BOE Race engine 10.5:1 / Standard Rod length
JCR Ported head
BOE REV 400 SC
BOE Dry Sump with Peterson Pump and tank
Laminova Oil cooler
2ubular Exhaust system
Aeroflow Fittings and Braided Hose
BOE Fastworks Software
Quaife Sequential with Geartronics Flat shift
Exedy Clutch

ELECTRONICS
Motec C127 Dash with I/O upgrade and Race logging kit
Motec E888 CAN expansion Unit
Cartek Battery Isolator

FUEL SYSTEM
Pro Alloy 60L Alloy Tank
BOE Fuel Swirl Pot
Upgraded Fuel pumps for Ethanol & HP – InTank Lift Pump / Swirl Pot Pressure Pump
Aeroflow Braided PTFE Ehanol Hoses
Aeroflow Fuel Filters Pre and Post Swirl Pot

COOLING / ENGINE
Pro Alloy 3 pass Radiator
BOE pressurized Header Tank
EP Silicone Hoses

COOLING / SC
BOE Frount Mount Heat Exchanger HEX
OEM Air to Air Intercooler converted to Water / Air – extra Heat guards over exhaust
2 x Davies Craig EWP80 water pumps
BOE Header Tank with Sensor
Aeroflow Silicone hose

WHEELS / TYRES / BRAKES
Lotus Sport Wheels [2 sets]
Dunlop Slicks – Soft Compound 200/580 16 & 235/610 17
BOE Wheel Studs
EP 15mm Spacers
AP Big Brake Kit / 308mm Rotors / Performance Friction Pads
OEM front Brakes on Rear /Performance Friction Pads.

SUSPENSION / UPRIGHTS / STEERING
Quantum 2 way Adjustable shocks / 850lb Rear – 750 lb Front
Elise Parts [EP] GT uprights
OEM wishbones with Sector 111 Monoballs
Sector 111 steering Arms
EP Quick Rack
Simply Sports Toe Link Kit
EP Anti Roll Bar

OTHER
Lifeline Fire Extinguisher / Plumbed in
Full Roll Cage
Tillet B7 FIA Carbon Seat
6 Point Scroth Enduro Seatbelts
Sector 111 SYS 6 pack
Magic Racing [Japan ] Carbon Mirrors

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Looking amazing Barry! Considering you do all of the hard work yourself it's a real credit to you. Hopefully I'll be home in the next few weeks to come see it again (and steal the keys) most likely buy more parts off you and do more work on my car! Congrats mate see you soon

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
FANTASTIC! Great attention to detail!!!

-Phil

#11 ·
#10 ·
Great build... congrats! Good job you changed the gearbox to cope with the power.
And its good to have a gearbox that is a pleasure and fun to use ...

Could you explain how the REV 400 / front mounted radiator / rear mounted modified intercooler works please?
Basically I am trying to lower the IAT temps . After doing a bit of research and several chats with the owner of Davies Craig pumps the best line of thought was not only to cool the water as much as possible but also force as much water as possible through the pipes > more water = more cooling. I know there is bit of debate about this .....
The systems is now plumbed up
Charge Cooler > Header Tank > DC80 pump> BOE Front Hex > DC80 pump> OEM IC now converted to Water /air > Charge cooler .
I have temp sensor both pre and post the CC.
Initial results look promising but have not driven at 100% for prolonged period so need to do more testing .
Previously with just the BOE Hex and DC80 I was registering IAT temps around 68C /154F after 3 laps . Ambient was 20C / 68F
The BOE Hex is performing well at this , as uncooled the IAT temps are around 120C / 248F ...so the BOE Hex is almost taking out nearly half of the heat .
After adding in the extra pump and the OEM IC Initial runs / not 100% hard running / Ambient 27C /80F ... the IAT temps after 4 laps 54C /129F and climbed to 58C/136F after 6 laps ... Keeping in mind ambient was 7C higher ... this looks to be a good preliminary result but more testing required.

Sensors Pre and post the CC show quite low water temps .
Lap 3
Pre 31.8C
Post 34.9C

Lap 7
Pre 33.5C
Post 37.9C
Appears to level off in temp at this point but more testing required .
Keep in mind Ambient was 27C / 80F

I have just purchased a flow meter so will look to test the actual flow with 1 & 2 pumps ... also aware that there are some very high volume BMW Peirburg pumps that would significantly increase water flow . So plenty to go on with.

#16 ·
Great 2-11 project mate!
I have also a 2-11 but its nearly stock...

Can you tell me a little bit more about the Quaife Sequential with Geartronics Flatshift.
I know the Quaife setup but how did you integrate the Geartronics flatshift controller?
Is it wired to the ecu to cut the ignition on upshifts? Does it also support automatic rev matching on downshifts?

Kind regards,
Marco from Germany

#17 ·
Great 2-11 project mate!:bow:
I have also a 2-11 but its nearly stock...

Can you tell me a little bit more about the Quaife Sequential with Geartronics Flatshift.
I know the Quaife setup but how did you integrate the Geartronics flatshift controller?
Is it wired to the ecu to cut the ignition on upshifts? Does it also support automatic rev matching on downshifts?

Kind regards,
Marco from Germany

#19 · (Edited)
Hi Marco
I have used Geartronics parts to run the flat shift. This is a closed loop system which is preferable.
The GT GCU [ gear control unit] is standalone [ it can be used with the ECU in some cases] part and does not integrate with the ECU . It takes signals from the Gear Knob load cell sensor , gear position sensor on the gearbox , and also taps into the ignition wire to provide the cut .
It also supplies the signal to the Gear Indicator.
GT supply software to run the system which is fairly straight forward.
You can purchase a throttle blipper for down shifts , but I have not bothered and just use the clutch which works fine . My understanding is that "manual " type" blippers are bit "course".
Downshift blipping is best run by the ECU and you require DBW , which the 2-11 has .
For Example the Motec M1 http://www.motec.com/m1package-gprppaddleshift/gprpoverview/
has full control up & down
Have a look here for Geartronics info on Flatshift http://www.geartronics.co.uk/flatshift.htm

In hindsight I would have been better , taking into account the Cost of the Flat shift hardware / software and having to purchase an E888 Expansion box to run the extra sensors I have on the car to have gone with the Motec M1 ECU and this could have controlled everything.
It would have still been more expensive but Motec parts are all designed to work together ... plug and play ...sort of ..
Plus you get to run everything through the Motec i2 software ... which is head and shoulders above the others .. in my opinion !
I see Motec now have there own Paddleshift Hardware ... so maybe that might be the next upgrade ?

#22 ·
Hi .. good to hear from you .. yes that thread does go back awhile .
I have now sold the 2-11 and currently only have my race Elige .
I am currently overseas until November .. but happy to answer any questions you have .
Let me know your email contact or ask questions here .. whatever works for you .

#24 ·
Thanks for the reply Barry.

Can you please PM me... I believe I'm too new to start a conversation. (can't start a PM).
You should be good it's three days and ten posts.