2015 Exige V6 Cup R Sequential Transmission Issue - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 06:24 PM

I think that the standard abs system is especially a problem when you run slick tyres as it s not calibrated for them and you will start to feel the abs kick in when you would still have grip because of the slick tyres but Jack will explain it better as I did not drive one

Jack when you can please let me know the model of the tilton clutch fitted and if there is a carbon clutch available for the xtrac

With the newer tilton clutch did you notice a difference when starting in first gear at low rpm or is it the same as before?

A carbon clutch should be a little less on off compared to a normal racing clutch

I also didn t notice that you have the forged rims are those the same as sold by komotec and I think there are two different offset available one that is the same as the oem exige 380 and another one that will make the rims stay a little more out which ones do you have and did you feel a difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cph View Post
As for my ABS, a change is needed if you are running slicks ….. I just pulled the trigger on the Bosch Motorsport ABS and what an improvement.

Jack , could you expand a little on what the Bosch Motorsport ABS brakes are like compered to OEM ...
What have you found to be the biggest difference ?
Lap times any better ?

Cheers
Barry[/QUOTE]

Barry, day and night difference. The stock Bosch ABS was designed to work well with R-compound tires of the same OD as is fitted standard. In fact, ironically, this newer Bosch ABS system as compared to the older Kelsey-Hayes system on our 2-11 is far worse once you go to slicks, in part because of it's greater degree of sophistication and resultant programming.

Running the Yoko slicks (more grip and different overall diameters), the stock ABS system is overly intrusive and in a bad way. If you try to threshold brake, the ABS intervenes, your braking power disappears completely and the only way to get the brakes back is to release the brake pedal and re-apply. The ABS system just thinks you are out of control. That can be very challenging and dangerous when you are traveling at 130+ mph and are trying to brake late and hard. As a result, you need to adapt/change your braking technique to that which is opposite of what is proper for a track driving/racing …. easy on the brakes at first, gradually increasing brake pressure thereafter. This prevents you from getting the benefit of aero upon initial braking, getting proper weight transfer, trailing off the brakes to aide in turn-in and overall faster cornering speeds.

The Motorsport ABS has 9 settings which you can dial-in for differing track conditions. You set up the system by inputing data about your car, like tire diameter, corner weights, etc. (There is also a switch to turn off ABS completely if you so desire.) You can now threshold brake relying on the ABS to prevent lock-up and when the ABS activates, the brakes still work -- no drama -- you feel the ABS, but the reduction in brake pressure is just enough to prevent lock-up. In fact, I've been told that if I'm not getting into ABS with this Motorsport system, I am not getting its full benefit and more braking potential exists. I can see why the Motorsport ABS was banned in certain racing series in the past --- it's like cheating.

Yes, it does contribute to better lap times once you "unlearn" the bad habits you needed to use to make the stock system work.

Hope this made sense.

Photo below of the magic "knob" …….
Attached Images

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

Last edited by Jack; 09-03-2017 at 12:08 PM.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxi_z View Post
I think that the standard abs system is especially a problem when you run slick tyres as it s not calibrated for them and you will start to feel the abs kick in when you would still have grip because of the slick tyres but Jack will explain it better as I did not drive one

Jack when you can please let me know the model of the tilton clutch fitted and if there is a carbon clutch available for the xtrac

With the newer tilton clutch did you notice a difference when starting in first gear at low rpm or is it the same as before?

A carbon clutch should be a little less on off compared to a normal racing clutch

I also didn t notice that you have the forged rims are those the same as sold by komotec and I think there are two different offset available one that is the same as the oem exige 380 and another one that will make the rims stay a little more out which ones do you have and did you feel a difference?
@Maxi_z -- I'd contact VSA with regard to the exact Tilton clutch they are using/recommending …. [email protected]

Starting off in 1st gear is no more difficult than with the stock AP clutch ….. both about the same and, at least for me, doesn't require excessive RPM's or "dumping" the clutch to avoid stalling. I assume that is what you are referencing/curious about. That's not the story for the Evora GT4 using the same clutch. I've been told that is because, in part, the Exige V6 has more clutch travel than the GT4, so a slow release of the clutch with little or no gas will get the car to move out w/o stalling (assuming the clutch hasn't been warped or have high/low spots due to abuse).

As for wheels, I'm running the Komotec version of the Rimstock forged wheel which do have a more aggressive offset (ET) in front (same width as stock). For the rear wheel, the Komotec version has the same ET as Lotus stock but is 1/2" wider, effectively pushing the rear wheel out the same 6.3mm as the front forged Komotec wheel (again as compared to stock). I can only compare the stock cast rims (stock Lotus ET and width) that came with my CupR to the forged Komotec version, and I like the Komotec forged wheels better and believe that I did feel a difference over stock in the handling department.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 10:32 PM
cph

Garage
Barry, day and night difference. The stock Bosch ABS was designed to work well with R-compound tires of the same OD as is fitted standard. In fact, ironically, this newer Bosch ABS system as compared to the older Kelsey-Hayes system on our 2-11 is far worse once you go to slicks, in part because of it's greater degree of sophistication and resultant programming.

Running the Yoko slicks (more grip and different overall diameters), the stock ABS system is overly intrusive and in a bad way. If you try to threshold brake, the ABS intervenes, your braking power disappears completely and the only way to get the brakes back is to release the brake pedal and re-apply. The ABS system just thinks you are out of control. That can be very challenging and dangerous when you are traveling at 130+ mph and are trying to brake late and hard. As a result, you need to adapt/change your braking technique to that which is opposite of what is proper for a track driving/racing …. easy on the brakes at first, gradually increasing brake pressure thereafter. This prevents you from getting the benefit of aero upon initial braking, getting proper weight transfer, trailing off the brakes to aide in turn-in and overall faster cornering speeds.

The Motorsport ABS has 9 settings which you can dial-in for differing track conditions. You set up the system by inputing data about your car, like tire diameter, corner weights, etc. (There is also a switch to turn off ABS completely if you so desire.) You can now threshold brake relying on the ABS to prevent lock-up and when the ABS activates, the brakes still work -- no drama -- you feel the ABS, but the reduction in brake pressure is just enough to prevent lock-up. In fact, I've been told that if I'm not getting into ABS with this Motorsport system, I am not getting its full benefit and more braking potential exists. I can see why the Motorsport ABS was banned in certain racing series in the past --- it's like cheating.

Yes, it does contribute to better lap times once you "unlearn" the bad habits you needed to use to make the stock system work.

Hope this made sense.

Photo below of the magic "knob" …….[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jack
I have purchased the Bosch ABS for my K20 Exige build but have yet to try it so keen to see what you think.
Hopefully I will be on the track in a few months , car went on the Dyno for initial tune last week , so looking forward to getting some the track soon.

Th local Porsche guys rave about the Bosch ABS but haver not spoken to anyone that has installed in a Lotus ... so good to see you are rating it.

2-11 : BOE Built Engine / Rev 400 SC / Quaife Sequential / Dry Sump / Fastworks Tune SOLD
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...roject-339234/

ELISE : K20 / TVS 1320 / EP sequential / Dry Sumped / Motec M1

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...ealand-439105/

JUNO SSE K20 NA
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooey View Post
I'm having a little trouble with the sequentail transmission in my 2015 Exige V6 Cup R. I'm hoping to find some insight on this board as to what is causing the issue and if it's been seen before. Or a referral to someone who 'truly' knows Lotus's sequential transmission setup; Xtrac transmission with Shifttec GCU paddle shift control and actuation.

The car and transmission have been running great. Used for HPDE's with a little under 2000 miles now. I've recently run into the issue of the factory Xtrac transmission downshifting from 4th to 3rd, or 3rd to 2nd, on its own, without being told to do so. Obviously, this is unnerving when driving hard at high RPM's.
There is a similar problem on my exige v6 cup r

Sometimes when donshifting it would downshift two gears when I only pressed the paddle once and also when driving slowly and coasting ie in second gear at low rpm it will go in neutral by itself.

The xtrac was already rebuilt once and the car only have around 4000 miles with just trackdays

I don t know if it s some problem with the shiftec system or with the oem lotus parts as paddles or wiring of neutral button but any advice is good to know

Thanks
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:17 AM

Dario,

Sent you a PM.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 03:33 PM

I m still looking to solve a similar problem on my xtrac gearbox where it would downshift two gears with only one paddle request sometimes.
I was thinking about electronic problem but when it downshift the two gears the noise maide by the compressed air shift system is only one time so maybe it s something wrong in the gearbox itself.
Some Lotus Tuner that also race in the Lotus Cup Europe suggested that it could be some grooved selector part that is damaged.
Anyone know if in some way a sequential gearbox can downshift two gears if maybe there is some problem in the shifting system as too much air pressure or not correct actuator adjustment?
Or the only thing making that should be from the gearbox itself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus "Track" and Racing Cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in