Advice/directions for Arch Louvre grills? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Elise Driver

Advice/directions for Arch Louvre grills?

I would like to reduce lift in the wheel arches by cutting vents into the front and rear clams, like on this car, but I can't find any information/instructions, has anyone done this? I think it looks better (and much cheaper) than Reverie's Arch Louvre Full Set
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 04:36 PM
The Enforcer

I'd advise you not to chop up your clams, but to each his own.

San
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
I'd advise you not to chop up your clams, but to each his own.

San
Why? It's just fiberglass. Structural integrity won't be compromised by this.

Jason

06' Fed Elise

My frame, rear subframe, steering rack, A-arms, front crash structure, suspension uprights, and fuel tank are stock.

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 04:44 PM
The Enforcer

While the pic above looks better than the Reverie ducts, I still think it looks homemade, like an afterthought. An irreversible mod like this will also diminish the value of the vehicle in my opinion. The OP asked for advice, I gave mine.

San
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 04:46 PM
glb

OP, under what circumstances do you experience lift?

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
OP, under what circumstances do you experience lift?
I would think that there would be lift there at any speed that can produce lift.

Jason

06' Fed Elise

My frame, rear subframe, steering rack, A-arms, front crash structure, suspension uprights, and fuel tank are stock.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
While the pic above looks better than the Reverie ducts, I still think it looks homemade, like an afterthought. An irreversible mod like this will also diminish the value of the vehicle in my opinion. The OP asked for advice, I gave mine.

San
I can't speak for the OP, but as I read the original post, I don't see any request for advice about whether or not to create arch louvers, just on how to do it.

Jason

06' Fed Elise

post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 04:55 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondew View Post
I would think that there would be lift there at any speed that can produce lift.
Look at Elise and Exige track cars. Do you see any vents in the tops of the clams? I don't.

San
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Elise Driver

Quote:
Look at Elise and Exige track cars. Do you see any vents in the tops of the clams? I don't.
I don't either, which I don't understand, because everyone is trying to squeeze out every last bit of performance and this mod looks good and works! Why else would it be on the world's fastest car, Koenigsegg Agera R?

Last edited by Aedo; 09-02-2014 at 05:41 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 05:09 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeray View Post
Quote:
I don't either, which I don't understand, because everyone is trying to squeeze out every last bit of performance and this mod looks good and works! Why else would it be on the world's fastest car, Koenigsegg Agera R?
It may be an issue on a particular car that can attain a very high speed. I think you're trying to address an issue that quite honestly you don't have.

San

Last edited by Aedo; 09-02-2014 at 05:41 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 05:29 PM

San, as much as I really enjoy your blunt yet factual replies to many of the topics on here, I'll have to side with jasondrew. If the OP wants to destroy his clams, he can go ahead and do so. As far as the "question" of is there any lift at speed? There is, but does the effect of said lift influence the car enough to run slower lap times? Maybe(doubtful), and that money is better spent on instruction to get faster lap times.

I too love to mod cars while I should be modding the driver. He want's to spend that hard earned money, so let him.

'05 CO Elise Mods: Yes
'01 NFR S2000 Mods: No
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 05:34 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty View Post
San, as much as I really enjoy your blunt yet factual replies to many of the topics on here, I'll have to side with jasondrew. If the OP wants to destroy his clams, he can go ahead and do so. As far as the "question" of is there any lift at speed? There is, but does the effect of said lift influence the car enough to run slower lap times? Maybe(doubtful), and that money is better spent on instruction to get faster lap times.

I too love to mod cars while I should be modding the driver. He want's to spend that hard earned money, so let him.
The OP can do whatever he wants. Trust me, I wasn't blunt in this thread.

San
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Elise Driver

Worst case scenario, it doesn't help improve downforce (even though a respectable company like Reverie say it does "positive vent design draws out*air that enters wheel wells*uses aero effect to exhaust airgain downforce without adding drag) But can it hurt anything, other than the wheel liners need to be removed?
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 06:00 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Worst case scenario, it doesn't help improve downforce (even though a respectable company like Reverie say it does "positive vent design draws out*air that enters wheel wells*uses aero effect to exhaust airgain downforce without adding drag) But can it hurt anything, other than the wheel liners need to be removed?
I think the only thing it will hurt is possibly resale value later. I think the Reverie vents are hideous (that's blunt). I think the pics you posted look OK.

San
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Elise Driver

Great, so I am right back where I started?! Does anyone know any one who has this mod that can get me a template or some instructions from Reverie?
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 06:36 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Great, so I am right back where I started?! Does anyone know any one who has this mod that can get me a template or some instructions from Reverie?
http://www.reverie.ltd.uk/Downloads/...R01SB0296).pdf

Those really won't help much as you're cutting vents into the fiberglass, but they're better than nothing.

San
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 06:44 PM
JWA

FWIW, I'd think that the last word in Exige aero would be the Adrian Newey Exige: 2008 Red Bull Lotus Exige GTR/ GT3 for sale, at least in the abstract. I'm certain that there's a lot more going on under the skin, but he did put various vents in the fenders, on the top and sides.

Not that I recommend cutting up an otherwise clean Elise/Exige unless you've already done a bunch of other un-reversible mods.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 06:47 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
FWIW, I'd think that the last word in Exige aero would be the Adrian Newey Exige: 2008 Red Bull Lotus Exige GTR/ GT3 for sale, at least in the abstract. I'm certain that there's a lot more going on under the skin, but he did put various vents in the fenders, on the top and sides.
I don't see any in the locations the OP is talking about (top of clams relative to wheel wells).

San
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 07:28 PM
JWA

Quote:
I don't see any in the locations the OP is talking about (top of clams relative to wheel wells).

San
There are smaller ones back a bit, closer to the windshield.
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 07:35 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
There are smaller ones back a bit, closer to the windshield.
Yup, now I see 'em.

San
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus "Track" and Racing Cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in