Avon/Cooper Slicks - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jack
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Mountain Motorsport Ranch, NV
Posts: 4,646
Avon/Cooper Slicks

Looking forward to comparing these tires to the Yoko slicks .......
Attached Images
   
VisualEchos likes this.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
Jack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 06:51 AM
Registered User
 
kfennell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,958
What compound are they? Did you buy them in the US? I was told that they make a compound much softer then the A7, but that they aren't available here so it made the cost too crazy.

Have you ever run the A7 vs your yoko slicks? Do you know how they compare?

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
kfennell is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Mountain Motorsport Ranch, NV
Posts: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
What compound are they? Did you buy them in the US? I was told that they make a compound much softer then the A7, but that they aren't available here so it made the cost too crazy.

Have you ever run the A7 vs your yoko slicks? Do you know how they compare?
Mediums and purchased in the US. They were shipped here from the Uk for testing as Lotus Cup was thinking of using Avon/Cooper as their "spec" tire but things didn't work out. I took a few sets off their hands for a very reasonable price. More could be obtained but it would take a serious commitment from potential users to get to critical mass on numbers to make it cost effective and to get the Avon/Cooper distributor interested in importing.

As for a comparison between Hoosiers and Yokos -- the latter are noticeably better, at least on my 211 and Hoosier doesn't have correct sizing for the V6. Yokos for the S2 platform are in very short supply (less than 5 complete sets available last time I checked) and are going completely away in the 16" size. I will need to find an alternative....Hankook slicks may be the way to go.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
Jack is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 08:13 AM
Registered User
 
VisualEchos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,126
Let me know when you're done using those, I've been looking for a set for my Cup wheels for photography. They are the same ones/sizes used on the GT3, and quite a bit wider in the rear than the Yoko's.


2006 Exige
VisualEchos is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Mountain Motorsport Ranch, NV
Posts: 4,646
I will but I don't think you want them....they are not really much wider than the Yokos, only slightly more than .1"

My rears are not the 250/620R17---those are more like 1" wider.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
Jack is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 12:08 PM
Registered User
 
kfennell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Mediums and purchased in the US. They were shipped here from the Uk for testing as Lotus Cup was thinking of using Avon/Cooper as their "spec" tire but things didn't work out. I took a few sets off their hands for a very reasonable price. More could be obtained but it would take a serious commitment from potential users to get to critical mass on numbers to make it cost effective and to get the Avon/Cooper distributor interested in importing.

As for a comparison between Hoosiers and Yokos -- the latter are noticeably better, at least on my 211 and Hoosier doesn't have correct sizing for the V6. Yokos for the S2 platform are in very short supply (less than 5 complete sets available last time I checked) and are going completely away in the 16" size. I will need to find an alternative....Hankook slicks may be the way to go.
What roughly is the lap time difference on the 211 from an A7 to a yoko slick?

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
kfennell is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Mountain Motorsport Ranch, NV
Posts: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
What roughly is the lap time difference on the 211 from an A7 to a yoko slick?
Kevin,

Not based on scientific A/B testing.....so it's a guesstimate of ~ .5 (to maybe 1) second faster. The Yokos just felt better than the Hoosiers to me, if that makes any sense.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
Jack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus "Track" and Racing Cars

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome