Dreams From a Father - A Question of Shocks - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By oldmansan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Dreams From a Father - A Question of Shocks

As detailed in other threads I would like to get to a 1/2 dozen track events with my son next year with my 2007 Exige S with Bilstein Track Pack. I've removed the front clam to perform a host of modifications and upgrades that should make the car extremely reliable on the track and street next year. I've run into a clearance issue with the front wheel well and slicks. The car is slightly lowered from stock and retains the desired rake front to rear.

The bump stops on the bottom of the front stock shafts are missing which appears to allow about 2 inches more downward travel. My original intention was to raise the car to avoid the clearance issue but I don't think I could raise it enough. It's currently rubbing during straight line braking on the track.

I don't want to purchase new shocks. Is there a way for me to replace these bump stops or have the shocks rebuilt to fix this? I'm not looking to set a track record but just want to enjoy some safe seat time with my son before he goes off to college. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 01:30 PM
He's on fire!

Surprised no one has replied. I'm not sure who repairs the track pack shocks, my advice would be to contact a lotus dealer (or see if you can find a Bilstein rep via google) to find out where in the US they can be serviced, and if that includes renewing the bump stops. I'm thinking if your bump stops are that bad, the shocks may benefit from a standard servicing anyway.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotusxs View Post
Is there a way for me to replace these bump stops or have the shocks rebuilt to fix this? I'm not looking to set a track record but just want to enjoy some safe seat time with my son before he goes off to college. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
https://performanceshock.com/

Contact these guys. They've serviced shocks from forum members, including myself. I have the track pack adjustables as well. Fortunately for me, they are local

Good luck!!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 02:05 PM
Supporting Vendors

Pretty funny, I just wrote a blog about this very issue the other day.
Sector111's Tasty Innovations Blog: Tech Tip: Suspension Bump Stops Will Degrade!

Bilstein USA in Poway, Ca should be able to take care of those. You should definitely do a full rebuild. Shock performance tends to degrade slowly over time making it hard to tell when it should be done.

Link to their service > Service

Of course, you could also put that money toward a set of Nitrons Singles
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

I think you are right on the shocks being in tough shape when the bump stops are gone. Thank you Dexige and Sector for the direction. I wish I could justify the Nitron upgrade but I'm not there yet. I can't imagine the front tires would come into contact anymore when the bumpstops are replaced. Maybe I won't have to raise the car after all!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 05:59 PM
2006 Exige

Garage
Quote:
I can't imagine the front tires would come into contact anymore when the bumpstops are replaced.
Don't be so sure about that. The rubbing is common among tracked Eliges. And you said you are running slicks, right?

You really need to bump up the spring rate. I'd try to find a way to get some budget springs/dampers.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

I'll research with Bilstein and performance shock what they offer for spring rates. Yes I'm on slicks that don't seem oversized but it doesn't rub on the track with the AO48s. I currently have the stock spring rates front and rear.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 06:50 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
I'll research with Bilstein and performance shock what they offer for spring rates. Yes I'm on slicks that don't seem oversized but it doesn't rub on the track with the AO48s. I currently have the stock spring rates front and rear.
I wouldn't spend much (if anything) on the Bilsteins.

San
fzust and XHILR8N! like this.

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
I wouldn't spend much (if anything) on the Bilsteins.

San
I know, I know. You are right.

This car is one I plan to keep long term. In hind sight, I would have purchased a Salvage Exige so I felt more comfortable making changes but I received an amazing deal on this one. My state doesn't do inspections so I could have a full track Exige that was street legal. With the horsepower wars going on it's not conceivable that my ~10 year old Lotus is always going to be faster than my DD. When the engine goes I'll probably take it to BOE to make it competitive. My Daily driver is only 1 second slower on a 2.5 mile course so it's not about time but safety with my son. I would guess that my next DD would be equal to or faster than the Exige as it sits today.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 10:20 AM
Elise Guru

Quote:
I know, I know. You are right.

This car is one I plan to keep long term. In hind sight, I would have purchased a Salvage Exige so I felt more comfortable making changes but I received an amazing deal on this one. My state doesn't do inspections so I could have a full track Exige that was street legal. With the horsepower wars going on it's not conceivable that my ~10 year old Lotus is always going to be faster than my DD. When the engine goes I'll probably take it to BOE to make it competitive. My Daily driver is only 1 second slower on a 2.5 mile course so it's not about time but safety with my son. I would guess that my next DD would be equal to or faster than the Exige as it sits today.
The track pack springs are variable rate and IMHO too soft initially, which is why people struggle with them. Fortunately the shocks are so locked down and horrible, they generally help you over look the soft springs! At a minimum, I would put a set of the LSS springs on those shocks. However, I wouldn't waste the money, rather put the money aside for better shocks some day.

As far as changes go, the shocks are completely bolt-in so the change is completely reversible as opposed to the wear marks from the tires!

Cheers!

Fred

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 01:16 PM

Even lowering the front a little on the "track pack" will result in rubbing through the liners at the track and especially
if you have added more than stock level downforce. With stiffer springs you can run more downforce at a lower ride
height and avoid as much if any rubbing over stock height/aero/track pack setup.

Just get a set of Penske doubles with a proper corner balance . . . it's the best mod other than supercharging out there.

2006 Elise ST (someone else has it now . . . )
2008 Exige S240 ST
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 05:58 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepe View Post
Even lowering the front a little on the "track pack" will result in rubbing through the liners at the track and especially
if you have added more than stock level downforce. With stiffer springs you can run more downforce at a lower ride
height and avoid as much if any rubbing over stock height/aero/track pack setup.

Just get a set of Penske doubles with a proper corner balance . . . it's the best mod other than supercharging out there.
Very good advice.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus "Track" and Racing Cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in