2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:01 AM

Beautiful. I hope the new federalized cars will be as nice as the current generation that we don't get to play with.
chiarov likes this.

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:33 AM

Jack, let me know if you need a spare motor or trans for your cup R I have one on parting out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:34 PM
cph

Garage
Great looking car ... but I think I prefer the 2-11 red colour scheme !
Whats the spec of the V6 ?
Performance compared to the 2-11 ?

Have you still got the Radical ?

2-11 : BOE Built Engine / Rev 400 SC / Quaife Sequential / Dry Sump / Fastworks Tune SOLD
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...roject-339234/

ELISE : K20 / TVS 1320 / EP sequential / Dry Sumped / Motec M1

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...ealand-439105/

JUNO SSE K20 NA
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:38 PM
He's on fire!

Looks fantastic.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 04:17 AM

Man, it seems like I'm the only one that doesn't like the way this car looks. But no matter, the performance is certainly awesome, and I'm sure pure joy to drive!

2006 Exige
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 04:48 AM
Arch. Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
Man, it seems like I'm the only one that doesn't like the way this car looks. But no matter, the performance is certainly awesome, and I'm sure pure joy to drive!
You are not alone, and that frumpy rear is lackluster at best IMHO...
shay2nak, sleepe and VisualEchos like this.

"This car is more fun than the entire french air force crashing into a firework factory." - Jeremy Clarkson

2005 BRP ELISE:
Sport Pack, Hard Top, Black Mesh Grills, Cup Air Box, TitanQR, Difflow diffuser, Larini Club Sport Exaust, Rear Panel Delete, RTD Brace w/Nitron Toe Pins, Mono-ball bushings, PRORAD, Reverie CF Side Scoops & CF Splitter, CF door pulls, Odyssey PC680. Filled seams including a custom one piece front paint protection film.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cph View Post
Great looking car ... but I think I prefer the 2-11 red colour scheme !
Whats the spec of the V6 ?
Performance compared to the 2-11 ?

Have you still got the Radical ?
CPH,

Radical was sold in 2014.

I like my 2-11 color scheme as well -- had it redone in Ferrari Corsa Scuderia red, same color used on Ferrari's F1 car. But, decided to go with a different color when ordering the V6 Exige.

The CupR is basically stock (engine-drivetrain-powerwise) -- it does have the X-Trac sequential. We will most probably be adding headers and a tune in the near future now that BOE has cracked the newer EFI ECUs …. maybe a few other "power" options that VSA has up its sleeve. All other changes from stock include the usual …. improve the car's hot weather capability by going with a better radiator option; change out the instrument cluster to something one can read and that data-logs (AIM MXS) plus additional sensors to monitor the important stuff; install a track re-packable muffler, simplify and add lightness -- dropped ~150 pounds; and some other changes for ergonomics and the like.

As for performance compared to the 2-11, they are very close even though the 211 has a BOE-built motor/tune and the V6 is stock. HP/Weight ratio favors the 2-11 currently, nevertheless the V6 can hold it's own. 2-11= ~5.5hp/lb: CupR= ~7hp/lb

You might be interested in viewing the video I made back in Oct/2016 comparing the two running the same track on the same day and turning virtually identical times, albeit the V6 was on more heat-cycled tires. Since then on several occasions, I've bested my previous PB laps turned in the 2-11 driving the V6. Of course, I still love the 2-Eleven, have had it for 9 years (since acquiring it new in 2008) and hope to have it for another 9 years, if I can still drive it at the ripe old age of 79.

shay2nak and VisualEchos like this.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:31 AM

Jack, do the new cars still have plastic-tanked radiators?

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TachItUp View Post
Jack, do the new cars still have plastic-tanked radiators?
Not the CupR, it came with a Lotus triple-pass all aluminum radiator, no plastic end caps.

In fact, I have it lying around with 2 fans…..anybody want to buy it? -- as close to new as possible w/o being new.

I can't speak to the street version, but if i was guessing, I'd guess it still has the plastic. This car was built by Lotus' Motorsport Division, back when it existed as a separate entity.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
In fact, I have it lying around with 2 fans…..anybody want to buy it? -- as close to new as possible w/o being new.
Sure, PM me some pix and we'll settle on a price .

2006 Exige
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
Sure, PM me some pix and we'll settle on a price .
Here you go ….. photos of Lotus Motorsport triple-pass all aluminum radiator (with fans) which is available for sale.
Attached Images

VisualEchos likes this.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR

Last edited by Jack; 04-12-2017 at 01:42 PM.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 01:45 PM
cph

Garage
Great Video and looks like you are having fun... well how could you not with those two cars.
I hope I can cut laps like that at 70 ...inspirational.
I thought the performance between the two would be similar but think you will find that when you release a more HP and together with the Sequential you will realise 2-3 seconds difference ... be keen to see how it goes.
The difference in my 2-11 .. from OEM to BOE Engine / 1320 / Sequential is around 4 seconds. Last time out I went 1.2 seconds quicker than previous best , but this was more from an in depth study of the data. Recently converted over to Motec i2 software and this has proved seriously helpful in lowering lap times.
Next purchase is the Motec video system so that I can pinpoint braking points and lines etc.

If you dont mind me asking , how did you find the Radical experience ?

2-11 : BOE Built Engine / Rev 400 SC / Quaife Sequential / Dry Sump / Fastworks Tune SOLD

JUNO SSE K20 NA
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cph View Post
Great Video and looks like you are having fun... well how could you not with those two cars.
I hope I can cut laps like that at 70 ...inspirational.
I thought the performance between the two would be similar but think you will find that when you release a more HP and together with the Sequential you will realise 2-3 seconds difference ... be keen to see how it goes.
The difference in my 2-11 .. from OEM to BOE Engine / 1320 / Sequential is around 4 seconds. Last time out I went 1.2 seconds quicker than previous best , but this was more from an in depth study of the data. Recently converted over to Motec i2 software and this has proved seriously helpful in lowering lap times.
Next purchase is the Motec video system so that I can pinpoint braking points and lines etc.

If you dont mind me asking , how did you find the Radical experience ?
Thanks, both cars are a blast to drive and help me pass the days during retirement.

I think you are correct about the CupR potential. Since that video, I've widened the gap between the two in favor of the V6, w/o a power increase. The sequential is a cheater transmission. One of the issues currently holding me back with the V6 is the Bosch abs system which came stock. It was not designed/programmed by Lotus for use with slicks but rather R-compounds. As a result, the abs is too intrusive and I can not fully exploit the excellent brakes on the car. We are considering going with a Bosch Motorsport ABS computer or a Pilbeam pedal-box or both. Life is too short to remain "stock".

The Radical was FUN....it really helped me wrap my head around trusting aero and I think improved my driving in the 2-11 back when they shared garage space. The one downside of the 1500 Radical was the running costs. Depending upon what items you included for your cost calculation and whether you followed Radical's recommendations religiously, it conservatively cost ~$300/hour to run and probably more if I really wanted to know the true figure. It was like owning an airplane. LOL

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
We are considering going with a Bosch Motorsport ABS computer or a Pilbeam pedal-box or both.
Jack,

I installed the Pilbeam pedal-box in the Exige and removed the ABS. He didn't get the sizing correct for the masters so I had to buy another one. I also ended up replacing the stock calipers, I had 4 pot front and 2 pot rear with 308mm front and 288 rear, with Wilwood calipers. I now can get the brake balance the way I like it it which is biased to the rear.

Later,
Eldon
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 05:05 PM
cph

Garage
Hi Jack
I have installed the Bosch ABS M4 Motorsport into my Elise , picture attached .
Have not had it running yet but recently drove a 997 Porsche with it installed and its fantastic , almost like cheating [ which some think it is ]
Nothing like the 2-11 ABS or other road orientated systems, comes in very differently easy to tune [rotary Dial ] if you need less or more.
I got the M4 Clubsport kit part No: F 02U V01 289 49 easy to install with the loom supplied but be aware that the wiring is far longer than required in the Lotus . If doing again I would have ordered a custom loom made to measure .. Bosch offer this as an option.
You will also need a the MSA Box / Cable to talk to the ABS and adjust settings etc . Part No F 02U V00 327 03

I also installed the Pilbeam pedal box but that has been made somewhat redundant by the ABS . It will be helpful to get the brakes initially setup and working correctly, and from there the ABS should take full control .
Speaking with the owner of the Porsche he advised that once brake balance was ok they have not used adjusted the pedal box since.
I am running EP 4 pots up front with 330mm discs and AP 4 pots at the back with 308mm discs

One thing to be aware of is that the Bosch ABS require separate "hardlines" to be run from the Master Cylinders to the ABS control unit and then an indepentant hard line to each wheel.
They make specific mention of this in the manual.
No problem to do at the front but the rear needs a to be fully re-plumbed with separate lines to accomodate this.

Interesting Re The Radical , I have heard the same comments , great cars but not cheap to run.
I have friends that own Juno cars with K20 Honda engines and just running track days they find them very economical. Lap at around the same pace as the Radical 1500.
Attached Images

Jack likes this.

JUNO SSE K20 NA
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 05:26 PM

I've calibrated a few of the M4 ABS for Pirelli World Challenge; those things are seriously awesome and can work magic. The biggest advantages with a good ABS are twofold - the consistent braking will give you more confidence which can give better speed than what you gain from the braking alone, and you can push all four wheels to the max rather than backing off the brakes when the least gripping wheel starts to lock.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Jack likes this.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 05:58 PM
cph

Garage
[QUOTE=cyow5;5368561]I've calibrated a few of the M4 ABS for Pirelli World Challenge; those things are seriously awesome and can work magic. The biggest advantages with a good ABS are twofold - the consistent braking will give you more confidence which can give better speed than what you gain from the braking alone, and you can push all four wheels to the max rather than backing off the brakes when the least gripping wheel starts to lock.

Do you know how the drivers treated the pedal ? By that I mean did they just stomp on the brakes and let the ABS take control ...or did they still feel the brakes into the corner but became more confident over time that the brakes would sort out any locking issues and let them go in deeper.
I ask because I have heard of both methods been employed.
I found that driving the ABS M4 equipped Porsche that I started off driving normally and then grew in confidence to go in later and later .. but did not feel the need just to stomp the pedals.

JUNO SSE K20 NA
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 03:41 AM

[quote=cph;5368585]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
I've calibrated a few of the M4 ABS for Pirelli World Challenge; those things are seriously awesome and can work magic. The biggest advantages with a good ABS are twofold - the consistent braking will give you more confidence which can give better speed than what you gain from the braking alone, and you can push all four wheels to the max rather than backing off the brakes when the least gripping wheel starts to lock.

Do you know how the drivers treated the pedal ? By that I mean did they just stomp on the brakes and let the ABS take control ...or did they still feel the brakes into the corner but became more confident over time that the brakes would sort out any locking issues and let them go in deeper.
I ask because I have heard of both methods been employed.
I found that driving the ABS M4 equipped Porsche that I started off driving normally and then grew in confidence to go in later and later .. but did not feel the need just to stomp the pedals.
From what I saw, so many drivers had it so ingrained to threshold brake that they never truly broke that habit and I can't blame them. The ABS in theory should handle the threshold braking well enough that the driver just brakes to the carpet and hangs on, but that depends on the setup and the calibration. When doing track testing, it was easier the more consistent the driver was, so braking to the carpet made the calibration easier if nothing else. As the engineer, it was easy to say "just brake and trust the ABS", but without being the jockey, that always comes with a caveat, haha.
Jack likes this.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info @cph and @cyow5 -- much appreciated.

Do you guys have an opinion on whether the Pilbeam pedal-box alone would be a good way to go?

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus "Track" and Racing Cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in