First time tracking - what should i know? - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the advice! Super helpful stuff here.

After doing some thinking, I'm going to go for a ride along for my first ever track day to get a feel for it before I end up tracking my car. Love my car more than anything else I own... too much to risk anything happening to it. When I feel more comfortable, I'll re-consider tracking my car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 04:50 PM

I just signed up for this event. Looks like a good place to start. Contact John if you have any questions.
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...en-gate-732008

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Lotus Elise likes this.
post #43 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandobot89 View Post

After doing some thinking, I'm going to go for a ride along for my first ever track day to get a feel for it before I end up tracking my car. Love my car more than anything else I own... too much to risk anything happening to it. When I feel more comfortable, I'll re-consider tracking my car.
Maybe start with an autocross. Near zero chance you'll hurt anything and you can still have the opportunity to grow as a driver.

Plug - if you're not already a Golden Gate Lotus Club member, then join. The club has a ton of events including a Lotus Autocross series (last event for 2017 is Nov 4th) and Lotus Track Days (2nd to last one for 2017 is next Monday 10/23 at Laguna. Sold out, but you can come out and spectate and grab a ride or two).

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

Lotus events in California - www.gglotus.org

post #44 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
What!! Gunpilot still exists??
Yes he is still around. New job, DE instructor, track junkie still, new beach house in Florida. Not a lot of time! I worked nights only for 6 years on my last job so spent a lot of time on here winding down and having some cold ones in the wee hours.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #45 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 12:19 PM

I've done a few HPDEs in the past, but at the end of the month will be my first with the Elise.
One consideration I was just thinking about was fuel.

I'm going to a tiny track in the middle of no where. I'm not sure they'll have a gas station at this one, or one nearby.
We're getting 6 20 minute sessions and I have 2 5 gal gas cans, that I was going to fill with 100 octane, or maybe some mix of 93/100 octane, but I'm still not sure that's enough gas actually for 6 sessions.

Thinking of filling the tow rig with 93 at the closest gas station and just transferring gas over as needed and filling the 2 5 gal jugs with 100 octane. That should do it right?
I figure I'll be doing around 100 miles of racing, at 8-10 mpg with the Rev400 at race speed (correct me if this estimate is wrong) I'll consume 10-15 gallons pretty easily, and I need to keep the tank half full.

Just an odd thing I hadn't thought of until this thread.
post #46 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 01:25 PM

Garage
I did about 120 miles on 1 tank and about 3 gallons, but I am NA and stock.
post #47 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 01:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandobot89 View Post

Schedule an event with HOD at Thunderhill (I suggest the 3-mile to start). Starts in the AM with car control, then track time in the PM with instruction in-car. It's a decent haul from the Bay Area, but this is the best way to pop your cherry
forkmeupscotty likes this.
post #48 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 01:44 PM

When it's your turn go on track, how long does it normally take to warm up the car (oil/water) before you can go all out. I know we are supposed to wait until the fluid temps are up, oil would take the longest, but I have read somewhere that could take up to 15-20 minutes.

Boe REV 300 Supercharger.
Boe DMC Ultimate header.
Boe Clam Hinge.
Boe Pro Alloy Radiator.
Boe TOC wet sump oil pan.
Boe Fuel surge tank.
Boe Oil catch can.
Boe HP fixed rotors with Ferodo DS 2500 pads.
BWR Larini Group B Muffler.
BWR Street/Track Anti roll bar.
Mocal rear mounted oil cooler.
V2 steering arms,
Nitron Singles 425/550.
InoKinetic DS rear toe links.
post #49 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRG53 View Post
When it's your turn go on track, how long does it normally take to warm up the car (oil/water) before you can go all out. I know we are supposed to wait until the fluid temps are up, oil would take the longest, but I have read somewhere that could take up to 15-20 minutes.
What I do is start the car before the driver's meeting and let it run. This helps heat soak the motor and all the fluids. After the driver's meeting, we have a Yellow warmup period on the track. This helps warmup the drive-line, tires and driver. After that, the car is usually on-track and only sets for about 20-30 minutes. After lunch, I will start the car 5 - 10 minutes early, while I'm buckling in and waiting to get back on track.

Later,
Eldon
SS Lotus Elise and CRG53 like this.

Last edited by eldonz; 10-19-2017 at 02:35 PM.
post #50 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1Rx7 View Post
I'm going to a tiny track in the middle of no where.
Where are you headed to? Palmer, Club Motorsports, Thompson and Canaan all have gas stations within a few miles.

Quote:
The car won't let you get on the high lift cam until the water temperature is up to normal. In my car, that takes about 15 minutes at idle. Even when the water temps are up to normal, it still takes several more minutes of driving before the oil temperatures are up anywhere near normal. Remember that we have 1.8 liters trying to heat 7 qts (or more) of oil. We are over-cooled for most situations. I typically take it easy(er) in the early laps of the early sessions. Heat soak as the day goes on lessens the pre-session warm ups.
post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengineer91 View Post
Where are you headed to? Palmer, Club Motorsports, Thompson and Canaan all have gas stations within a few miles.
He's referring to Canaan. But good to know there's places nearby.

2007 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise
post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 08:59 PM
glb

Based on what a couple of engine builders said, wait 20 minutes after coolant is up to full temp before engaging cam change.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 12:04 PM
craigyirush

The Lotus Club of So Cal is having a tech session for newbies followed by a track day at Streets of Willow (in November and December respectively).

IIRC, the OP is on the east coast, but for anyone on here who's in So Cal and wants to start tracking their car, it'll be a good intro.

I got an e-mail about it, but I am sure they've posted on here already.

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 08:31 PM

BTW I figured I'd piggy back off this thread as I'm preparing for my first track day as well with the Elise.
Need a judgement on this though.

I wanted to get the V2 arms installed so the car would turn in properly. It's understeering currently.Got them installed but got a chance to take look at the brake pads and there's plenty of meat left for daily use but I wanted to get the forum's opinion on if I've got enough meat on them for the 6 20 minute sessions I'm going to be doing in a week.

I've heard the Rc5's wear pretty well, but have no idea what to expect from them both in pad life and of fade resistance at the track. Input is welcome here. Track is a small 1.3 mile track that you could probably do the entire thing in third. I have a Rev400. I don't know how hard these car really are on consumables so looking for more experienced opinions.

Take a look, do I need to replace these before the event? They look thinner in person than the photos

Last edited by Ls1Rx7; 10-20-2017 at 09:06 PM.
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 10:55 PM

[QUOTE=Ls1Rx7;5596074]BTW I figured I'd piggy back off this thread as I'm preparing for my first track day as well with the Elise.
Need a judgement on this though.

Totally, that will last a while. start getting concerned when you have 3-4mm.
Ls1Rx7 likes this.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 05:24 AM

Unless you're at COTA or RA you'll be fine.

Also if you REALLY want to fix the front understeer you need to machine the upright, just the V2 arms aren't enough.
Ls1Rx7 likes this.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 05:49 AM

You'll be fine with that. Have fun.
BTW, with a good alignment and corner balance the car should turn in fine, although the V2's are a good addition.

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus "Track" and Racing Cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in