I need help with a cv boot problem. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

I need help with a cv boot problem.

I need help! I have a 2-11 that I use for track days. I can't keep one of the cv joint boots from coming off. It must be building pressure inside. Could this be from heat? If so, how do you shield it? If not heat, what could cause it?

I even took the whole axle assembly off my Exige which had which worked fine on the track for five years and it popped after two sessions at Mid-Ohio.

It's the inside boot on the passenger side. Anybody else have this problem?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 05:18 PM

I found that the OEM grease leaks out of boot when on track with slicks. I never had a issue once I moved to high temp CV grease. Red Line 80402 Synthetic Grease

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Current 2007 Exige S TOURING PACK, TRACK PACK, LSD, Aspen White, BOE Torque300, Tank,2bular muffler, Larini header/Decat, RLS Intercooler, Intercooler Vent Ducts/tubes PENSKE SINGLE-ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS, CUPdiscs-Front ULTRAdisc rear, Lotus AP 4 Pot Calipers, Fidanza lightweight flywheel, ACT HDSS Clutch......way too much to list..

Past 2014 Arial Atom
Past Lotus- 2005 Elise, BOE REV400TVS,Nikasil SB, Arias pistons,....et cetera-track monster
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Thank you, qz5gxt! I did try the Red Line product - which didn't leak, but it just built up pressure until it popped the boot off.

I never had this problem with my Exige which was only slightly slower. Why do you think the slicks are a contributing factor? I know I must be missing something here.

Thanks again for the help and your thoughts!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 09:10 PM

I use redline also and still get leaks on the drivers side in the summer. Quick fix.....8-10 wraps of suran wrap and zip ties. Works good. Learned this trick watching IMSA teams do the same.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 03:33 PM

Hi Rickard,

I feel your pain! Last year I also had successive blow outs of axle boots on my 2-Eleven. Always the left outside boot. Quite the mess each time. I tried rebuilding and went as far as ordering one from a well known Lotus racing supplier. No luck. It blew out during the first session. Then I found Krugspeed in Mamaroneck, NY. He's a Lotus racer shop, not a parts supplier. His business is servicing customer cars and racing his own. The owner doesn't usually do this work and have customers do their own installs, but made an exception given my tale of woe. They rebuilt my axle with their racing parts and it has been flawless for over 1,000 track miles. It wasn't cheap but considering the flawless track miles since, it was well worth the cost Call Alex at 561-706-3967 and tell him Lotushack sent you. I have no affiliation, I'm just a happy customer. Hope this info helps keeps you on track!!!

Stay Tuned!
David

Stay Tuned!
David
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 04:32 PM

I have started to have problems with the inside passenger side, too. It seems to be related to MPH. It didn't start till I started going faster. Tried clamping it tighter but it still pucked grease. Was going to try a different clamp style.

Later,
Eldon
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 08:13 PM
Plug Whisperer

This is common and some of tricks have been mentioned...

The stock grease is now old to begin with, so it's time to change it--- no different than engine oil...

1) Do NOT simply repack. You need to disassemble the joints and clean all the old stuff out. The outers are simple knock offs. Easy. The carrier bearing is simple circlip. Easier.

2) When repacking, only fill the "caged" area. you should not be lubricating the boot area. Takes a fair bit of grease...

3) Use Redline CV-2 or if you're really pushing it, Krytox 215/217. The latter is $250 grease... For affordable grease, I find the CV-2 to be better than the rest and MUCH better than OE grease.

4) We carry a good quality boot in the event you need new (on our website)....

5) Take heavy duty Reynolds plastic wrap to the track. If you boil the grease, it will keep on boiling until it's replaced per above. Wrap the boot area with the plastic wrap in the opposite direction of the axle rotation to keep the wrap tight on the axle... 10-15 wraps should be fine...

Hope that helps,

Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus "Track" and Racing Cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in