NJ Superbike racer wants to race 4 wheels - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

NJ Superbike racer wants to race 4 wheels

Hey guys, I also posted this in the NE region section but maybe a better fit here?

I've been racing superbikes competitively for the past few years and have been reasonably successful doing it but after ending last season with a 2 month stint in a wheelchair it has pushed me to really consider whether the risks of every race weekend are worth the continued pursuit.

I'm finally back in race shape but being off the track since last Sept has left me really itching for something to fill the void. I'm going to head down to NJMP this month for a track day but I know the only way to kick one addiction is to replace it with another; which brings me here!

I've always loved the punch that the little Elise packs in a street car and with the prices I'm thinking that maybe an older Elise might be the perfect transition car?

Because of racing bikes I'm aware of the ancillary costs and demands that come along with the track so I'm not coming into this blind but I could really use some guidance on this whole 4 wheel thing!

Are there SCCA clases that the Elise works well in? Saw a bunch of racing in Cali, anything east of the Mississippi? Will I even fit in one!? (6'3 34" inseam)

I'm in central/western NJ just off RT 78. Look forward to meeting you guys!

-Michael
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 01:00 PM

I've been hunting for a class to race in as well. It looks like NASA ST3 (super touring) might be a good fit, but the rule set seems to favor heavier cars. I'd be racing at 250 hp / 2400 lbs against Vettes with 360 hp / 3500 lbs. I'm not sure if SCCA has the same/similar class.

My local series has a very similar class, but there are very few cars in it. I'm contemplating selling my Lotus and buying a BMW in order to guarantee I'll have somebody to actually race against.

https://www.nasaproracing.com/rules
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 02:43 PM

Hit up Alex at Krugspeed racing in NY [email protected]. He races several Lotus in SCCA he can help you decide where best to fit a car. I have a few Lotus Race cars for sale too if you need one. I have 2 really nicely prepped cars, 1 07 Exige and 1 2006 Elise. both have cages, fire systems Ohlins dampers and lots of other race car stuff. PM or email me if you need any help. [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus "Track" and Racing Cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in