Racing Seats - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Racing Seats

Hey LT how is everyone? So I am looking at purchasing a race seat, I am stuck between Tecnocraft T3 Carbon Fiber Seat and the Sparco Profi Spg and wanted to hear from you all on which seats your using and why you like it. Thanks.

Straights roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers - Colin Mcrae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 08:27 PM

I think you mean Recaro (not Sparco) Profi SPG? In any case...

Technocraft:
- Lighter, easier to get into, and allows for full adjustment of seat back and forth on a runner.
- Can retain 3 point belt

Recaro:
- An FIA approved racing seat with much more lateral support, but not all drivers will fit into it
- The seat itself also barely fits into the car...you may not be able to position it very far forward (due to the side sills) if you are short and may need to remove the center console over the shifter
- The Recaro may need to be placed on a fixed mount, rather than a slider
- Harness holes are small and somewhat low for taller drivers, definitely sit in before purchasing

'05 Lotus Elise: RS134 Monolites, Nitron Singles, Monoballs, V2 arms, RTD2 brace, Innovative motor mounts, V2 tank, GPan, Larini 8", TransCables, LumosHID, GiroDisc, Ferodo DS2500, etc.
'16 Porsche Cayman GT4
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 06:22 AM

Additionally, the Recaro will sit higher than stock even if mounted on the floor. I had one from another build and decided I couldn't do the tall seating position and sold it.

I would really like a stock seat with seat and back bolsters the same depth as a race seat. It would be fun to modify a stock seat.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
I think you mean Recaro (not Sparco) Profi SPG? In any case...

Technocraft:
- Lighter, easier to get into, and allows for full adjustment of seat back and forth on a runner.
- Can retain 3 point belt

Recaro:
- An FIA approved racing seat with much more lateral support, but not all drivers will fit into it
- The seat itself also barely fits into the car...you may not be able to position it very far forward (due to the side sills) if you are short and may need to remove the center console over the shifter
- The Recaro may need to be placed on a fixed mount, rather than a slider
- Harness holes are small and somewhat low for taller drivers, definitely sit in before purchasing

Correct the Recaro, sorry for the typo. I am about 5"11 and have a 33 inch waist, do you think I would fit comfortably in the Recaro Profi SPG? I know they are mounted, but my fear is if I can't slide them forward enough I won't like the distance too the pedals and wheel, do you foresee this being an issue in your experience?

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno01 View Post
Hey LT how is everyone? So I am looking at purchasing a race seat, I am stuck between Tecnocraft T3 Carbon Fiber Seat and the Sparco Profi Spg and wanted to hear from you all on which seats your using and why you like it. Thanks.
I have these seats for sale, https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f95/...s-sale-402241/

I have chased most of the issues that you are referring to. These seats were extremely comfortable without any padding. They provided the side support I was looking for. The problem was that I could not get them adjusted so that my wife could sit in the seat comfortably without extra padding.

If you are interested, let me know. I am sure we can work out some type of deal.

Later,
Eldon
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Correct the Recaro, sorry for the typo. I am about 5"11 and have a 33 inch waist, do you think I would fit comfortably in the Recaro Profi SPG? I know they are mounted, but my fear is if I can't slide them forward enough I won't like the distance too the pedals and wheel, do you foresee this being an issue in your experience?
I haven't had them in my car, but from sitting in Profi SPGs in other cars, you should fit, but it will be tight. I am a 32 - 33" waist depending on how many cheeseburgers I've eaten that month. This level of tightness of great for the track, but not so much for driving to the track. If you are 5'11", I'd be pretty concerned about the shoulder harness holes in the seat being too low for you, especially if you intend to wear a HANS device. On that basis, I'd rule this seat out.

If you want HANS comparability and relative ease of mounting, I would go with either the OEM HANS seat from Lotus (very expensive) or something from Tillet (about same price as Recaro SPG). It is important for the shoulder harness holes to be large and to be close together. Seats like the OEM Exige seat do not satisfy this, nor do other seats that follow the same design.

Note how close together the harness holes are in the OEM HANS seat:

'05 Lotus Elise: RS134 Monolites, Nitron Singles, Monoballs, V2 arms, RTD2 brace, Innovative motor mounts, V2 tank, GPan, Larini 8", TransCables, LumosHID, GiroDisc, Ferodo DS2500, etc.
'16 Porsche Cayman GT4
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 11:16 AM

Have you seen these? I have these .. and you can design your own image. AND ... you can get 5% off. (see my sig)

https://gregsraceparts.squarespace.c...ltech-v1-seats

2005 SY Lotus Elise Supercharged
(Build date: Sept. 13, 2004 #484)
16th of 115 US 05 same color\trim\options.
Signed by Elisa Artioli
Handmade in England- Perfected by me.
Sponsored by: Difflow Diffusers- GRP (Discount Code: "Keleent" for a discount at checkout )
Follow me on IG:
www.instagram.com/keleent
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldonz View Post
I have these seats for sale, https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f95/...s-sale-402241/

I have chased most of the issues that you are referring to. These seats were extremely comfortable without any padding. They provided the side support I was looking for. The problem was that I could not get them adjusted so that my wife could sit in the seat comfortably without extra padding.

If you are interested, let me know. I am sure we can work out some type of deal.

Later,
Eldon
I will absolutely check them out and keep you posted, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
I haven't had them in my car, but from sitting in Profi SPGs in other cars, you should fit, but it will be tight. I am a 32 - 33" waist depending on how many cheeseburgers I've eaten that month. This level of tightness of great for the track, but not so much for driving to the track. If you are 5'11", I'd be pretty concerned about the shoulder harness holes in the seat being too low for you, especially if you intend to wear a HANS device. On that basis, I'd rule this seat out.

If you want HANS comparability and relative ease of mounting, I would go with either the OEM HANS seat from Lotus (very expensive) or something from Tillet (about same price as Recaro SPG). It is important for the shoulder harness holes to be large and to be close together. Seats like the OEM Exige seat do not satisfy this, nor do other seats that follow the same design.

Note how close together the harness holes are in the OEM HANS seat:

Appreciate all the info and insight. Do you personally have any experience with the Tillett B6F, or anyone you know? Those have now caught my eye more then the b5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klint View Post
Have you seen these? I have these .. and you can design your own image. AND ... you can get 5% off. (see my sig)

https://gregsraceparts.squarespace.c...ltech-v1-seats

I did not see these, again allow me to check them out, thank you!

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Appreciate all the info and insight. Do you personally have any experience with the Tillett B6F, or anyone you know? Those have now caught my eye more then the b5.
I mounted the B6F for the driver and the B5 for the passenger. If you want to mount the B6F on the adjustable driver's rail, be prepared to remove some of the material from the bottom of the seat. If you do not, you will not be able to pull the handle up to move the seat. You will also have to remove material from the front sides of the seat in order to clear the center console and the left tunnel unless you purchase the seat that has this done already. You will also have to mark and drill the mounts since the mount is generic. So, to mount the B6F for the driver, expect to send more than a couple of hours.

If you have any other questions about these, let me know.

Later,
Eldon
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I mounted the B6F for the driver and the B5 for the passenger. If you want to mount the B6F on the adjustable driver's rail, be prepared to remove some of the material from the bottom of the seat. If you do not, you will not be able to pull the handle up to move the seat. You will also have to remove material from the front sides of the seat in order to clear the center console and the left tunnel unless you purchase the seat that has this done already. You will also have to mark and drill the mounts since the mount is generic. So, to mount the B6F for the driver, expect to send more than a couple of hours.

If you have any other questions about these, let me know.

Later,
Eldon

Did you enjoy your B6F seats, what did you like/ dislike? Is there another seat you preferred?

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Did you enjoy your B6F seats, what did you like/ dislike? Is there another seat you preferred?
I am use to full containment seats and was looking for something that had better leg and hip support. The B5 did not look much better than OEM and the B6F looked much better. I opted for the B5 for the passenger side because my wife usually has an instructor at the track and the B5 allows for greater differences in body style and size.

As I said, if you want the B6F to be mounted on the sliding rail, be prepared to grind on the bottom of the seat. After mounting the seat, the only thing I did not like is that I am higher than before. My wife likes this because she is shorter than I am so now she does not have to sit on a pillow. I would say that the seat has put me about an inch higher over OEM.

The seat is comfortable but it is a little narrow through the rib cage area. I am broad shouldered so it does create some pressure areas that take a little getting use to. I do drive the car on the street and it does make getting in and out different but not bad. The sides of the seat are still lower than the door sill but you are not just going to slide into the seat. You have to get inline and drop in. The belts I had made for the other seats need to be reworked for these seats. The adjusters are in the wrong places and need to be moved to a more convenient location.

It would be nice to find a seat with more shoulder support but that is not going to happen since there is not enough cockpit space if you want two seats in the car. The B6F and B5 do compliment each other and the CF finish does make the seats look nice. I did not buy the full CF seat since I was not able to sit them before purchasing.

Take care,
Eldon
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I am use to full containment seats and was looking for something that had better leg and hip support. The B5 did not look much better than OEM and the B6F looked much better. I opted for the B5 for the passenger side because my wife usually has an instructor at the track and the B5 allows for greater differences in body style and size.

As I said, if you want the B6F to be mounted on the sliding rail, be prepared to grind on the bottom of the seat. After mounting the seat, the only thing I did not like is that I am higher than before. My wife likes this because she is shorter than I am so now she does not have to sit on a pillow. I would say that the seat has put me about an inch higher over OEM.

The seat is comfortable but it is a little narrow through the rib cage area. I am broad shouldered so it does create some pressure areas that take a little getting use to. I do drive the car on the street and it does make getting in and out different but not bad. The sides of the seat are still lower than the door sill but you are not just going to slide into the seat. You have to get inline and drop in. The belts I had made for the other seats need to be reworked for these seats. The adjusters are in the wrong places and need to be moved to a more convenient location.

It would be nice to find a seat with more shoulder support but that is not going to happen since there is not enough cockpit space if you want two seats in the car. The B6F and B5 do compliment each other and the CF finish does make the seats look nice. I did not buy the full CF seat since I was not able to sit them before purchasing.

Take care,
Eldon
Eldon I to continue appreciate the information!

So today I called Tecnocraft and spoke to Leo about options. He said the T2 is build more for racing then the T3 and the sizes based on the chart are very similar. He said it was not HANS compatible, though other websites say it is? Has anyone sat in the T2's or can verify if they fit?

Here's the link for the seating chart comparisons.

http://oi64.tinypic.com/2ilgb3m.jpg

Last edited by nuno01; 03-01-2017 at 09:01 AM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 10:20 AM
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
If you guys are worried about HANS clearance you can try the new Schroth SHR Flex. I used one all last year and it worked great for me, no clearance issues w/ it's design.

https://www.schrothracing.com/compet...x/shr-flex-hnr

Nick____________
2005 Elise - Chrome Orange (SOLD)
2004 Porsche 911 GT3
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickshu View Post
If you guys are worried about HANS clearance you can try the new Schroth SHR Flex. I used one all last year and it worked great for me, no clearance issues w/ it's design.

https://www.schrothracing.com/compet...x/shr-flex-hnr
Nick I appreciate the help, I will need a HANS so I will gladly check that one out, bigger issue is finding out the right seat.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 11:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
I put that seat in my car and absolutely love it. I'm nearly the same size as you, 32" waist and 6'. Spent a lot of time making brackets that gave me enough headroom to actually fit with a helmet, and the final result was about 1/2" of clearance between my helmet and the hardtop(with lower cushions removed). The seat fits me perfect, and is supportive in all the right spots, yet very comfy with all the padding in and doesn't fatigue me really at all. Way better than non probax elise seats, but that's a pretty low bar.

I would not consider one though unless you test sit in one first, and can do your own welding/fabrication, or pay someone else to do it and redo it again. It took me 3 attempts at making brackets until I was happy with the position.

If I were to do it again, I'd strongly consider just settling with a pair of Exige seats. No messing around and it bolts right in, and holds even my skinny butt good enough on the track. I spent way too much on this seat, making it fit, and then I bought a single exige seat for a passenger seat for the harness holes.

'05 Lotus Elise Touring Hardtop-REV400+Track mods
'94 Mazda RX-7 Twin Turbo-Reliability mods
'09 Dodge Viper VOIX edition-no mods
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 12:53 AM

Is it for the track? or is it for the street?
If it's for the track, it's a safety gear...
Buy from those who have experiences in passing FIA/SFI certifications...

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

http://www.youtube.com/forkmeupscotty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus "Track" and Racing Cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in