LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 01:22 PM

The R888 runs wide, but the R888R doesn't relatively speaking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaExige View Post
I have R888ís in 195/50ZR16 and 245/40ZR17 mounted on cup wheels on my 2008 Exige S240.
Does this induce understeer? I would think a larger contact patch in the rear would increase understeer if the front rubber is not increased in turn.

Increased grip in the rear reduces front grip (if front tires not changes)...right?

2006 Elise ST (someone else has it now . . . )
2008 Exige S240 ST
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 07:31 AM
boxerman

On astock NA elise I run R888r stock sizes, 195 up front and I think the rears are 225.
As others here have said if youre runnign 888's for track they should be 888'r, otherwise whats the point.

At a recent autocross my NA elise was the fastest of the loti there except for someone running yoko slicks in a 211. Even then the time difference was only 1/2 sec.

In an autocross I never felt any lack of rear grip, if anything there was understeer, had the same issue running yoko slicks on a full track, and there the fronts were 205. The reason is simple, I'm running a stock street trackpack setup on this car. More negative front camber would cure any understeer. Wider tires are not the way to go, they will just mask steering feedback and you run the risk of rubbing. Lotus actualy knew what they were doing when they came up with the tire sizes.

As others have advised, adjust the aligment first before you need think of changing tire sizes, and def get the R's if youre goinnto the track.

As an example of camber, on my exige v6 track car we started at -1.9 front and it understered, now at -2.4 same tires its the rear that cant cope. Yes lots of negative camber affects street driving in that the car wants to turn in more, and if youre not on track the inside of the tire will wear quicker than desired. But somwhere there is a happy medium, and I would start witht he 195 up front first and find the balance of the car.

What are your current camber and toe settings?

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 07:39 AM
boxerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepe View Post
Does this induce understeer? I would think a larger contact patch in the rear would increase understeer if the front rubber is not increased in turn.

Increased grip in the rear reduces front grip (if front tires not changes)...right?
Increased grip at the rear does not decrease front grip, front grip remains the same as it was before, however the limits at the rear "may" become higher therefore the increased rear grip will lead to understeer becoming more dominant at the limit because the available front grip has not been increased to match the rear..

However more tire does not becessarily mean more grip. Tire compound, tire pressures alignmnet all affect grip. Ie unbtill youre using all the tire(how you drive and alignemt), more tire does little.
One could even say if the tire is too wide youre unlikely to get the necesary heat into the tire to get it to operate optimaly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus "Track" and Racing Cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in