Track Car - Exige V6 CupR or other? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Question Track Car - Exige V6 CupR or other?

Greetings! I am looking for some guidance and suggestions..... I currently run a Alfa Romeo 4C on track (no racing), but would like to take the next step and get a dedicated track car. I'm just starting on this path, so I have time... My goal is primary safety (Roll cage, fire suppression, etc), track designed components, and repair-ability when something invariably happens. The 4C has been fantastic on track and enjoy every minute with the car on track (chassis stiffness, power/weight, balance, etc). It has proven to have excellent reliability (contrary to popular belief), and low operating costs. However, it requires too much modification to take that next step in safety and race components, and repair/replacement of the body panels is terribly expensive ($6k/panel).

Here is a list of some of the items I think I want...
1) Factory build/designed roll cage - I haven't been too impressed most other cages.
2) Sequential preferably with paddle shift.
3) Race orientated brakes & adjustable brake bias
4) Track orientated ABS/Traction control system

Something like the Exige CupR, Miata Cup, Porsche Clubsport are on the list. Budget is sub $100k. A used Exige CupR would work quite nicely, however, there are very few in the US. How are the R's on track, reliability, hot weather operation (Texas), recommended modifications, operating costs?? I looked at a Radical RXC, but used prices + tire costs for my use become a tad too expensive for my tastes.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 11:16 AM

I own a 2014 Cup R. Great car. The trans are the weak link. Don't waste your money on the seq box. It's a big bump up. FIA roll cage, No Brake Bias (You could put a proportioning valve in but would mess up the abs), AP Calipers and AP Pads, Has race oriented traction control. I have found sport actually works pretty good. Race is basically turned off. IT has dual adjustable Ohlins. I've never had any temp issues and I run it in Fl. If you get one, toss the Pirelli's, Nitto or Proxes that most people put on them and put the Hoosiers. Much better grip.

Again, the trans is the weak point, imho. I had mine rebuild by monkey wrench with racing internals and it seems to be bullet proof now. The original trans had an issue with popping out of 1st which is odd because you never use 1st. Had a bent shift fork.

Cup R's are hard to come by in the US. There are quite a few cups out there though.

You could get a cup for 65-70. There is one brand new cup r out there. He wants 115 for it. You probably could get it for 100K.
You'll never get a clubsport for 100K.

A Miata club is not going to be anywhere near as fast as a Cup R or Clubsport. Different class of car. Fun, reliable and cheap to run. Just not in the same league as a Cup R.
Not sure of your experience level but Miata's make great DE cars. You learn to be VERY deliberate as you can't right foot your way out of anything.
They're cheap to run and reliable. Not a bad choice but won't have the thrill of a Clubsport or Cup R. It also won't be as expensive to run.

Good luck on your choice. If I can ever answer any questions, let me know. I think Jack has one as well.

Jimmy Hanrahan

Jim Hanrahan
2016 Lotus Evora 400
2014 Exige V6 Cup R
2010 Caterham R500 Superlight SV
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 11:25 AM

https://www.wirewheel.com/2007-Lotus...-for-sale.html and you'll have $100 to spare!

https://www.wirewheel.com/RACING-CARS.html for even more options

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 11:52 AM

I'll sell you my car for under $100k (I would use the money to buy a Wolf). Come for a ride at MSRH the 25th, 26th and 27th. $170-$400 an hour to run and It is nationally competitive in Nasa TT2. Which means 1:36ish MSRH, low 2:20s Cota etc.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 12:52 PM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPyro2k View Post
repair/replacement of the body panels is terribly expensive ($6k/panel).
Front and rear clams for Elise/Exige are very expensive and often scarce.

I wouldn't use one on track much for that reason.

Get a Miata and add supercharger, turbo, etc. Much cheaper to fix.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 01:59 PM
He's on fire!

DrPryo hasn't logged in since the week he made this post. But I think the answer to this question is always miata, and maybe boxter or 944

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
DrPryo hasn't logged in since the week he made this post. But I think the answer to this question is always miata, and maybe boxter or 944

I didn't even know there was a way to see that activity neat.

I assume he will get an email tonight though.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 04:59 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
I didn't even know there was a way to see that activity neat.

I assume he will get an email tonight though.
Not with the default settings, unless someone PMs him/her.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Pardon the delayed response, work has gotten the better of me lately. I appreciates everyone's comments about the Lotus. It is a delicate balance to my engineering mind between capital costs, operating costs, and safety. The main reason I would like the paddle shift sequential, is that I have really fallen in love with the dual clutch of the Alfa. So much easier for me to focus on all of the other aspects on the track when I can simply "pull a paddle". Lazy,yes, but enjoyable none the less. Thanks for the clamshell costs & sequential issue notes.

It is hard to say "No" to a modified Miata Cup car with the Sequential and Supercharger. It gets me close to the power to weight ratio that I would find enjoyable even if it is front engined

I would say I'm an "Advanced Beginner" track driver. @kfennell - Just for reference, I typically do about 1:55 on street tires in the Alfa @ MSR Houston (when I'm not held up by traffic). I'm still learning, but I'm not after ultimate lowest lap times. Just better, safer driver on track. Plus I love the 100% focus aspect... As for cars, I would definitely buy a Radical SR3 or Wolf, however, my preferred HPDE does not allow those cars except in the instructor group. This is why I'm looking at the Ginetta G55, Porsche Clubsport, MX-5 Cup, Lotus Cup R, etc...

Thanks again everyone....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

One other aspect is that I have tried to contact Lotus Cup USA and the local Lotus dealer to see about buying the Cup R. Sadly, I haven't gotten much of a response from either. Plus, there is a used Miata with sequencial and supercharger for sale at $75k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus "Track" and Racing Cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in