Track Days in NY - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kaivangulden
  • 1 Post By Kaivangulden

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Track Days in NY

Hey fellow Track Day enthusiasts!! My names Kai and I run private Track Day events at a local track in NY called New York Safety Track. It's a very fun venue for Lotus cars and favors driver skill over Hp monster cars. I cap the events at 45 cars so there isn't any traffic and everyone can get clean laps. The format I run is 7 driving sessions for the day at approx. 15-20 min each. If anyone wants more detailed information let me know. Last season in August, we had over 13 Lotus cars at our open make and model day! You can email me for info at [email protected] or check out my website www.GotTrackLI.com
carbuff likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 05:01 PM
Parts Finder

Garage
I’m interested. I’ll check out the site and email you.

Past favorites

99 Esprit
02 Eurovan Weekender
62 Falcon 450hp under 2000lbs
(My first power to weight car)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaivangulden View Post
Hey fellow Track Day enthusiasts!! My names Kai and I run private Track Day events at a local track in NY called New York Safety Track. It's a very fun venue for Lotus cars and favors driver skill over Hp monster cars. I cap the events at 45 cars so there isn't any traffic and everyone can get clean laps. The format I run is 7 driving sessions for the day at approx. 15-20 min each. If anyone wants more detailed information let me know. Last season in August, we had over 13 Lotus cars at our open make and model day! You can email me for info at [email protected] or check out my website www.GotTrackLI.com
Your site is very nice but it does not cover the logistics that a well run track day requires. I could not find anywhere about coaching, run levels, etc. Not knowing these fundamentals, I would not attend one of your track days.

Later,
Eldon

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 05:26 PM
Parts Finder

Garage
What’s the refund policy. I’d love to do the June 21st event, planning on my billed being done in May.....but delays can happen. I’m trying to register for a event at the Glen in July so if I can do June and August with you it will be great start.

Past favorites

99 Esprit
02 Eurovan Weekender
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 05:28 PM
Parts Finder

Garage
Your site is very nice but it does not cover the logistics that a well run track day requires. I could not find anywhere about coaching, run levels, etc. Not knowing these fundamentals, I would not attend one of your track days.

Later,
Eldon[/QUOTE]

The rules listed first time drivers to track would be required to have a ride along coach for the first run. To teach then then line and verify their skill level.

Past favorites

99 Esprit
02 Eurovan Weekender
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:39 AM
Race & Pamper

A bit far away for me
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 04:27 PM

Saved your site... Not sure on what dates I will be available yet, but I live a little over an hour north and have always wanted to try out that track.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 07:42 AM
Parts Finder

Garage
Signed up for June 21st

Past favorites

99 Esprit
02 Eurovan Weekender
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Hey Eldon. Coaching and instruction varies heavily based on who attends. Because these events are open to all skill levels, we assess drivers and then make recommendations for which run groups they should belong to. For beginners (brand new to track and track days) we have mandatory track walk in the morning, mandatory classroom session before first run. The first 4 20 min driving sessions are then lead follow laps (4 to a group and rotating each session who is behind lead car, modeled after Ron Fellows program). An instructor certified by us with knowledge of the venue rides shotgun and helps to assist the beginners with hitting species, braking zones, etc. Then comes catered lunch! We do one more classroom session and after that it is free runs with an instructor (no more lead follow) for the rest of the day. We try to run these events as cost effective and safely as possible hence the number of cars being extremely low and the instruction being free of charge! Although, I don't think you'd likely want to ever do the long drive from NC up to NY, I appreciate the feedback! If one day you feel our program is worthy enough we'd be happy to have you!
carbuff likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaivangulden View Post
Hey Eldon. Coaching and instruction varies heavily based on who attends. Because these events are open to all skill levels, we assess drivers and then make recommendations for which run groups they should belong to. For beginners (brand new to track and track days) we have mandatory track walk in the morning, mandatory classroom session before first run. The first 4 20 min driving sessions are then lead follow laps (4 to a group and rotating each session who is behind lead car, modeled after Ron Fellows program). An instructor certified by us with knowledge of the venue rides shotgun and helps to assist the beginners with hitting species, braking zones, etc. Then comes catered lunch! We do one more classroom session and after that it is free runs with an instructor (no more lead follow) for the rest of the day. We try to run these events as cost effective and safely as possible hence the number of cars being extremely low and the instruction being free of charge! Although, I don't think you'd likely want to ever do the long drive from NC up to NY, I appreciate the feedback! If one day you feel our program is worthy enough we'd be happy to have you!
Now, I wish I could have found this information, easily, on your web site. If I missed it then I am sorry. I believe this should jump off the page for any type of track day web site.

I was a little harsh in my statement but we, my wife and I, have been to a couple of events that were not structured very well. My wife is a novice and she really likes having a good instructor to learn a new track. She has had some bad experiences with what she calls "Social Track Day Clubs". I am a certified instructor and have raced for years, so it does not bother me that much.

As far as getting to NY to try out this track, we travel all over to experience tracks. We have been to Palmer Motorsports Park to Watkins Glenn to Pitt to Indianapolis to NCM to Barber to COTA. This year I have it on my schedule to visit Spring Mountain Motorsports Park in Nevada. My only question is, does the facility have room for an 80 ft. tow rig? The only other catch is that we normally only run two day events because of the travel time.

Take care and Good Luck with your adventure,
Eldon
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldonz View Post
Now, I wish I could have found this information, easily, on your web site. If I missed it then I am sorry. I believe this should jump off the page for any type of track day web site.

I was a little harsh in my statement but we, my wife and I, have been to a couple of events that were not structured very well. My wife is a novice and she really likes having a good instructor to learn a new track. She has had some bad experiences with what she calls "Social Track Day Clubs". I am a certified instructor and have raced for years, so it does not bother me that much.

As far as getting to NY to try out this track, we travel all over to experience tracks. We have been to Palmer Motorsports Park to Watkins Glenn to Pitt to Indianapolis to NCM to Barber to COTA. This year I have it on my schedule to visit Spring Mountain Motorsports Park in Nevada. My only question is, does the facility have room for an 80 ft. tow rig? The only other catch is that we normally only run two day events because of the travel time.

Take care and Good Luck with your adventure,
Eldon
I share your wife's view (and a bad experience myself with one of those "social track day clubs"), so, no, I don't think you were too harsh at all. Requiring novice drivers to have an instructor (and then making sure one is provided) should be front and center or the event should be clearly marked for intermediate+ only.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus "Track" and Racing Cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in