Track Prep/ Alignment recommendation Please - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 02:25 PM
He's on fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHALED View Post
Can someone answer my concern about the oil starvation : Does the OEM Accusump help, or I still need an oil plan ?
Someone might have an answer but there aren't many accusump equipped lotus running around on tracks, so probably hard to have someone confirm.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 03:27 PM
Sold my Exige S

Quote:
My main concern is the tires rubbing against the liner under hard cornering.
Consider 15/16 inch wheels instead of the stock 16/17. Little or no rubbing and less unsprung weight. I went this route when I did open lapping days.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 04:59 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Can someone answer my concern about the oil starvation : Does the OEM Accusump help, or I still need an oil plan ?
We data logged the Accusump and found that it kicked in too late. I would highly recommend a baffled oil pan like our gPAN3

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 05:12 PM
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
Throw them in a fire? Is that a damping setting? I dont think it matters much.
Its early, but this is a contender for "Post of the Year"
Mr.C likes this.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 05:12 PM
German Reimport

Quote:
I have clocked somewhere between 10k to 15K miles on track with R-compound tires and have yet to install a baffled oil pan.
Maybe I'm just driving too slow, and maybe I'm pushing my luck while a baffled pan would be cheap insurance.
Just saying.

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 08:45 PM
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
I have clocked somewhere between 10k to 15K miles on track with R-compound tires and have yet to install a baffled oil pan.
Maybe I'm just driving too slow, and maybe I'm pushing my luck while a baffled pan would be cheap insurance.
Just saying.
I've spun a rod-bearing from oil starve on a stock pan(yeah, I know, no excuses!.....Cobbler's Children).... I've run the Accusump, it helps for sure, but there is some delay. Certainly better than not, but having proper oil control around the pickup is the better way to do it.

https://www.blackwatchracing.com/product-p/1017.htm

To the OP, Alignment is a good place to start. See how it feels for balance and adjust from there. Let us know when you are ready to take the next step with some BWR Penske dampers.

Cheers!

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 12:18 AM

Alignment settings are honestly very much a personal preference thing. I have settings that are rather more aggressive than most other Lotus track guys, but I feel my car still understeers. Meanwhile, someone else that's very experienced that I compared notes with has a less aggressive alignment, but feels the car is oversteering too much.

For track, I'd start with the following:

1) Toe-link (the OE Lotus brace is okay, but I'd still prefer something stouter)
2) Brake pads (the stock pads are kind of terrible)
3) Oil pan (it would be no. 2, but you have an Accusump)
4) Racing seat (the stock Lotus seats are kind of terrible under cornering)

I'd skip the Hoosiers and go with something less aggressive to start; perhaps a semi-slick tire or whatever the equivalent of the US super200s you have over there. A less grippy tire will help you learn faster as you won't be covering up your mistakes with grip, but of course you won't be as fast off the bat.

I'd also like to go to a 15 inch front wheel, but I don't think that's an option for the S260s with the upgraded front brakes. If you wanted to, you could "downgrade" to the 11.3" AP Racing 2 pot fronts. It allows fitment of 15" wheels, there's still plenty of heat capacity, AND the resulting better brake bias will actually improve your braking performance.

2011 Lotus Elise SC Final Edition 15 of 15 - Ardent Red
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
Just saying.
R compound tires and slicks are different. The Slicks apply more g forces than r compound tires
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 06:22 AM
Race & Pamper

@KHALED you must upgrade your oil pan. The accusump is just a waste of your trunk space and extra weight. That's the first thing I uninstalled from my S260.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubera View Post
@KHALED you must upgrade your oil pan. The accusump is just a waste of your trunk space and extra weight. That's the first thing I uninstalled from my S260.
Ok point taken. Will probably get a Moroso Baffled Oil Pan from Hangar 111. From what I read it's one of the best and currently on sale , about $500
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 04:32 PM
He's on fire!

If you're going to get a pan there's things you should consider. That moroso oil pan, as far as I know, doesn't have any clearance for the rear passenger lower control arm bolt, which means if you ever have to remove that arm, its going to be a pain in the ass. It is very possible you'll find yourself removing that component eventually as the suspension bushings will need to be serviced. I think you've got a couple options.

1. Get the moroso oil pan and punt
2. Get the moroso oil pan, and buy a reusable gasket from BOE so that in the event you do have to remove the pan, its not a pain in the ass scraping off the old gasket
3. Get a pain with relief cut into it such that you can remove the control arm without having to remove the pan - i think both recommended pans in this thread have that feature.

PS.- I had an older pan no longer offered that didn't have clearance for the suspension bolts, and although I managed to find a way to not remove the pan, it was still a right pain in the ass (and I don't have the moroso so not sure if you could apply the same trick)

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for warning me about the clearance for the controller arm bolt.
I'll follow your advice and go with one of the recommend pans.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 04:27 AM

BOE makes a good oil pan. I have one and have had no issue
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 05:18 AM
Race & Pamper

post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

24H Dubai Race:

There was a team from Lotus PB Racing, Italy participating at the24 Hankook race last weekend in Dubai. They were running two Elise CupR cars.

They had the cars setup with -2.0 Camber, not more. They said anything more will kill the tiers in no time.
They had square 17 tires front and rear. Couldn't understand why thu! The Italian mechanic I spoke to didn't speak English.
235/650R17 in the rear
215/615R17 in the front

I wonder if the square tiers setup was done for handling, or is that a regulation thing?
Attached Images

Falsey likes this.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 08:50 AM
He's on fire!

what works for a endurance race team will likely not work for you, at the level you are at. Start with those inokinetic specs and go from there.

having the same diameter rim is not the same as a square setup. 17's up front is not the lightest or the fastest, but you might do it for

1. Aesthetics (not likely on race team)
2. larger brake package required bigger wheels
3. Desired/required tires not available in 15" or 16" sizes

also, i'm pretty sure kfennell, who has some nice trophies himself, runs more than -2.0* camber.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus "Track" and Racing Cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in