• 1 Post By Grunschev
  • 1 Post By cph
  • 2 Post By Jack
  • 2 Post By Lotusxs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ultimate Track Thread

Hello Lotus forums how's everyone doing? So as many of us are preparing for the upcoming race season I had the idea to start a thread of everyone's top five favorite tracks. My hope is that it would be a catalyst for those of us with more experience to educate the less experienced and as an opportunity to for us all to be exposed to potentially new tracks.
It's very simple, please list your top five favorite tracks that you have driven and whatever your top choice is please articulate why you enjoyed that track the most, undulation, blind turns, double apex's etc..

Look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!

Straights roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers - Colin Mcrae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 03:01 PM

COTA 5x

Its clear why it's the best I think, its a purpose designed F1 track, super smooth, nice runoffs, challenging.

If I had to rank the rest of the tracks I've been to

MSRH
TWS
Harris Hill
MSRC (it was raining though)

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 03:12 PM

Garage
Daytona - Come on, it's Daytona!! Just a great track but it was the first time I realized that I could die doing this so I bought a HANS device and have used it ever since. Driving on banking is really cool!
Sebring - Come on, it's Sebring! Another great track with a combination of high speed and low speed turns. Scary at night in the rain.
VIR - Done several of the VIR "courses" and love them all. My fav is full course, really challenging. Makes some people ill due to the elevation changes and constant turning.
Barber - Probably the most beautiful track I've been to and very, very challenging.
Road America - My home track now, just a spectacular venue and a great track. That said it is a high HP track so expect to be passed, a lot, on the long straights (in a Lotus).
Road Atlanta - My old home track, I estimate I've done 1K+ laps on RA. Just love the hills, turns, great all around track.

Looking to do COTA, Laguna Seca and Nurbergring this year or next.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 03:28 PM
RBH

Well here are some of my favorites....

1. Watkins Glen (NASCAR configuration) - It is shorter but very fast & fun
  2. Road America - Between 10 and 13 - Wait as long as you can before braking at turn 12
  3. Watkins Glen (road course configuration) It is not a typo - it just flows well
  4. COTA - F1 must go track
  5. Mid Ohio - Between 2 and 9 - The Ss
  6. NJMP Thunderbolt - Just a fun track

Do it once. Do it right.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 11:01 AM
cph

Garage
New Zealand Tracks ....
1. Ruapuna / Christchurch Maps - Mike Pero Motorsport Park
2. Taupo Circuits - Bruce McLaren Motorsport Park New Zealands premier driver training and motorsport facility, race track.
3. Levels / Timaru South Canterbury Car Club - Levels Raceway
4. Hampton Downs / Auckland https://hamptondowns.com
5. Highlands / Central Otago Highlands Motorsport, Innovation & Technology Park - Cromwell, Otago, New Zealand

2-11 : BOE Built Engine / Rev 400 SC / Quaife Sequential / Dry Sump / Fastworks Tune SOLD
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...roject-339234/

ELISE : K20 / TVS 1320 / EP sequential / Dry Sumped / Motec M1

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...ealand-439105/

JUNO SSE K20 NA

Last edited by cph; 01-19-2017 at 11:02 AM. Reason: spelling
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 11:17 AM

From tracks I've been on:

1)Palmer Motorsports Park
Incredible elevation changes and views, challenging, lots of granite walls (lol&#128556, brand new, so super smooth.
2) Road Atlanta
Fast track, need to trust your line and your car coming down into the front straight, favors higher hp cars, Chateau Elan down the road for families.
3) Barber Motorsports Park
As noted, beautiful. Nice layout and fond memories of doing a complete 360 at turn 12 as a passenger in a race prepped Porsche GT3 during testing. Every sphincter in my body was fully constricted.
4) NewHampshire Motor Speedway
If you like being on a hybrid NASCAR course and aren't afraid of concrete walls everywhere you look. The track is the one I have the most experience on and keeps you on your toes. Make a mistake and the track will make you pay.
5) Thompson Motorsports
Short track, ideal for lower hp cars like our Eliges. Lots of fun and recently re-opened with excellent grip from the special mix in the pavement.
I've been on a couple others, but I've had at least a couple of days on each of the above.

Would love to try Laguna Seca, COTA, Watkins Glen, Road America and Spring Mountain.

Good thread 👊🏻

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 12:00 PM

Great thread.... And not in any specific order...

- Lime Rock Park (awesome!!)

- Watkins Glen (If you haven't driven it - should be on your track bucket list);

- Calabogie - terrific track, and will go to again this upcoming season)

- Thompson Motorsports (exactly what LotusCC said ^^^)

- Palmer Motorsports Park (Whiskey Hill) - just awesome, and this year might have some surprise changes in store as well )

- New Hampshire Motor Speedway (N & S chicanes)

Actually - come to think about it - my favorite track is the one I'm at on that day..??

John D.

'07 Exige S
& a few P'cars..
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John D. View Post
Great thread.... And not in any specific order...

- Lime Rock Park (awesome!!)

- Watkins Glen (If you haven't driven it - should be on your track bucket list);

- Calabogie - terrific track, and will go to again this upcoming season)

- Thompson Motorsports (exactly what LotusCC said ^^^)

- Palmer Motorsports Park (Whiskey Hill) - just awesome, and this year might have some surprise changes in store as well )

- New Hampshire Motor Speedway (N & S chicanes)

Actually - come to think about it - my favorite track is the one I'm at on that day..??

John D.
Thank you, and agreed any track I am driving is my favorite. Blessed to be able to enjoy such a sport.

In regards to my post I think my top five starts with Laguna Seca, cant appropriately articulate how magical that track is, between the history, beauty and undulation, it's unlike anything else I have experienced thus far.

Second would be Gratton, undulation is excellent, a lot of large sweepers, blind turns and overall just really balanced.

Third would be Waterford Hills, not very long, but incredibly technical. It's a drivers track for sure, no real forgiveness to amateurs.

Fourth would be Gingerman, good balance, nothing fancy.

Five is yet to come, this year I am going to Mid-Ohio, Autobahn and VIR. I am really freaking excited to start practicing and enjoying my lotus, haven't tracked it yet. It will also be fun to see how it compares to my C6Z06! This winter can't end soon enough.

Straights roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers - Colin Mcrae
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 01:43 PM

I'm with John, any track that I'm on is FUN with very few exceptions.

In my old age though, I have become lazy and have been avoiding doing the towing thing -- so Spring Mountain is my favorite. The fact that I'm 5 minutes away helps, especially given the numerous configurations we have. We can run all year-round.

One of the more recent configs we've run …...
Attached Images

Mr. Oz and ERDoc74 like this.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 03:02 PM

High Plains Raceway
----
Laguna Seca
Oregon Raceway Park
Thunderhill
Road America

Tough question. HPR is my favorite, because it's my local track and I've done something like 16 days there. I've done multiple days at three other local tracks (Pikes Peak International Raceway, Pueblo Motorsports Park, and the Colorado State Patrol training facility). I don't like PPIR at all, only did it a second time because it was LOG.

I've visited 7 other tracks, six in the Elise and one (Road America) in a ChumpCar. All these were single visits. How can you reasonably rank favorites after a single visit?!? Laguna Seca gets Best of the Rest but a lot of that has to do with the history of the place. I found it pretty easy to learn. Thunderhill and ORP are quite challenging and have lots of runoff, two features I like. ORP has more elevation change, so it gets a higher rank for me. Road America beats out the others, again, due to its history.

The Ridge would be sixth in this list.
Portland International has all of two feet of elevation changes.
Sonoma has too many concrete walls too close to the track.

This year I'm hoping to add COTA to the list. And I'm not ruling out a visit to Buttonwillow this year as well, if I can swing the WCLM. And the Colorado Exotic Car Association is having a day at La Junta this year.
ERDoc74 likes this.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 07:18 PM
cph

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post

In my old age though, I have become lazy and have been avoiding doing the towing thing -- so Spring Mountain is my favorite. The fact that I'm 5 minutes away helps, especially given the numerous configurations we have. We can run all year-round.

Wow ..5 mins from the track ,plenty of configs , and you run all year round ... I am truly envious !!
ERDoc74 likes this.

2-11 : BOE Built Engine / Rev 400 SC / Quaife Sequential / Dry Sump / Fastworks Tune SOLD
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...roject-339234/

ELISE : K20 / TVS 1320 / EP sequential / Dry Sumped / Motec M1

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...ealand-439105/

JUNO SSE K20 NA
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cph View Post
Wow ..5 mins from the track ,plenty of configs , and you run all year round ... I am truly envious !!
@cph -- Barry,

I have no life, so I spend most of my free time at the track.

I'm envious of your fantastic 2-11 build -- great job!

Just for giggles ….. here's a recent video of the Exige V6 on the track config pictured above …..

ERDoc74 and John D. like this.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 05:16 PM

Raceway Park of the Midlands - my Favorite because it's closest. Best Track I've been to is Miller Motorsports Park in Utah before Larry passed. A good story to tell about a guy who spent millions to support a hobby and the people he loved. Best track to conduct an event at has to be Raceway Park of the Midlands in Hastings, Nebraska. George the owner is the best possible host. Putnam Park in Indianapolis has to be the most fun "safe" track around. I guess you can tell I'm from the Midwest of the USA!
darkSol and ERDoc74 like this.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 08:48 PM

Mosport -- Grand Prix track, elevation changes, good flow.
Road America -- High speed, low speed, elevation changes, technical.
Sebring -- Bumpy, technical, fun.
Grattan -- Technical, fun, elevation changes.
Mallory Park (England) -- Basically two ovals offset, much disliked but I loved the challenge of trying to do two of the turns flat in the Mallock I tested.

To Do List -- VIR, NCM, Nurburgring, Spa

As mentioned by others, my favorite track is the one I am on at the time.

2008 Solar Yellow Exige S240 (Torque 300)
1991 Elan M100
2015 Cayman GTS
2016 Ford Flex--Tow Vehicle
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 08:30 PM

I am with my adopted brother Jack. Spring Mountain for sure. 52 different configurations right now and soon to add 6+ more miles of track making it the longest track in the world.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 05:59 PM

Watkins Glenn - Flows well, great speed
Mt Tremblant - Great speed, blind 2, several technical areas
Mosport - Great speed, a scary 4

I guess I like fast tracks however I also like

Palmer - lots of technical turns and elevation change, the fastest straight I have ever been on
New Hampshire Motor Speedway - 15 minutes from the house, not fast but very technical

This may change, this year Club Motorsports opens in New Hampshire. It looks both fast and technical, 2.5 miles with a 250 foot elevation change.

Howard
2005 Elise AP LSS hardtop
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 03:52 PM

Lime Rock is my home track and of course I love it there. Taking the uphill with the arco barrier a couple feet away from you and of course going into the downhill, nothing quite like it. Have to agree on Palmer. Elevation changes are wild. Cliffs jutting out all over the place. I just wish they would pave the whole freakin paddock. My car always looks like it's been through a sandstorm by the time I leave. Hope to also try Club Motorsport this year in New Hampshire. Track looks amazing!
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 10:07 PM

1) Nurburgring - Nordschleife
What can you say about the 'Ring? In a word, Challenging! 73 turns. 975 feet elevation change. Weather. Fast. Famous (infamous?) turns/sections; Karussell, Hohe Acht, Adenauer Forst, Lauda Links, Flugplatz, Kallenhard - Breidscheid, Pfanzgarten. ~13 miles / lap. Thrilling. Difficult. Requires massive concentration and patience. To quote Sir Jackie Stewart, the "Grüne Hölle."

2) Zolder
3) Nurburgring - Grand Prix Strecke
4) Sachsenring
5) Hockenheimring

Ron Schramm

'62 Seven S2
'77 S1 Esprit
'84 Turbo Esprit
'14 Evora
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post

How did I know you were going to say this?

Dan
08 2-Eleven Launch Edition

You must be fast cause you were haulin azz when I passed you!!
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oz View Post
How did I know you were going to say this?
Dan, you know me all to well ….. Hope to see you out at SMMR in the late Spring ---- you promised.
Attached Images

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus "Track" and Racing Cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in