What is the best transmission? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

What is the best transmission?

I have a built Elise for track only with 340whp/239 ftlbs of torque. What is the best most reliable transmission money can buy? I would not be opposed to having to do a rebuild every 40 hours. Sequential, Kaaz, BWR? I donít think my technique is all bad. I ran the car for many years with non intercooled sc for many years with no gearbox issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

This post has the correct data.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:34 AM
cph

Garage
https://www.eliseparts.com/products/...ntial-gearbox/

If you want a sequential ...
Otherwise the new Blackwatcch gear kit looks good .

2-11 : BOE Built Engine / Rev 400 SC / Quaife Sequential / Dry Sump / Fastworks Tune SOLD
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...roject-339234/

ELISE : K20 / TVS 1320 / EP sequential / Dry Sumped / Motec M1

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...ealand-439105/

JUNO SSE K20 NA

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 04:59 AM

Garage
Assuming you drive the car on the street, sequential is out.

Other options are rebuild C64 with Jubu 3/4 gears; purchase BWR gearset; or swap to the 5-speed E153 transmission. Lots of people have gone with BWR and the boxes have gotten very good reviews. I made the swap about a year ago and have been happy with the box and the gearing as well. It's an expensive upgrade, but my motto is to "do it once, do it right." If you're looking for a 40-hour rebuild cycle and want to stick with the C64 this is absolutely your best bet.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater View Post
Assuming you drive the car on the street, sequential is out.

Other options are rebuild C64 with Jubu 3/4 gears; purchase BWR gearset; or swap to the 5-speed E153 transmission. Lots of people have gone with BWR and the boxes have gotten very good reviews. I made the swap about a year ago and have been happy with the box and the gearing as well. It's an expensive upgrade, but my motto is to "do it once, do it right." If you're looking for a 40-hour rebuild cycle and want to stick with the C64 this is absolutely your best bet.
Why is a sequential out for street?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 07:34 AM
Elise Guru

Sequential is out for the street because of gear whine and dog lash. There are 4 dogs allowing about 75 degrees of forward and back rotation before any engagement. Very hurky jerky on the street. I've done it, it is doable, but it a race car on the street.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 07:38 AM

Well, first sentence of his post does say "track only" so...
XHILR8N! and acslater like this.

2007 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 07:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstomp06 View Post
Well, first sentence of his post does say "track only" so...
Yea but I mean... who actually reads posts on here?
gstomp06 likes this.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Phil told me sequential requires a dry sump. Not sure why. I didnít get into any detail. My car is technically street legal where I live, but I only use it for the track. The gearbox from eliseparts looks awesome.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyo View Post
Phil told me sequential requires a dry sump. Not sure why. I didnít get into any detail. My car is technically street legal where I live, but I only use it for the track. The gearbox from eliseparts looks awesome.
What I have been told, by Phil, is a sequential does not give the motor any time to drop RPM and the oil pump gears will not survive.

Later,
Eldon
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 06:36 AM

I think black watch they make the best for street and track IMO. BWR Gear Set

They make gear set for stock trans that is good

Last edited by lotus90; 04-20-2018 at 07:27 AM.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 08:52 AM

damn that bwr set looks like art work I guess for the price as well but get what you pay for
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 09:49 AM

Is the box they put in the Cup cars (not sequential) crap? What doe those run?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whohasmylogin View Post
Is the box they put in the Cup cars (not sequential) crap? What doe those run?
They are nothing special are they? Remember the cup cars run roughly stock power and not that much tire so they aren't nearly as hard on the transmission as a 300+ whp car with slicks.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 04:46 PM

I know they have a "short ratio" gear set but don't really know what else. The stock trans in the elise have known issues and are not great at all if you push the HP much -- that is my understanding after reading all of these posts. I am curious because I want to do some endurance events and people I have talked to said the trans is the weak link.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I know they have a "short ratio" gear set but don't really know what else. The stock trans in the elise have known issues and are not great at all if you push the HP much -- that is my understanding after reading all of these posts. I am curious because I want to do some endurance events and people I have talked to said the trans is the weak link.
If endurance events = roughly stock power and street tires then you are probably fine and just want to consider an upgraded clutch.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
The stock trans in the elise have known issues and are not great at all if you push the HP much -- that is my understanding after reading all of these posts.
This is simply not true. The stock Elise/Exige trans/clutch will last indefinitely at 250 bhp if driven correctly on street tires and a few track days a year. The problem starts at closer to 300 bhp with people that can't drive properly or are beating on the car at the track with slicks regularly. Then you have the hot-dogs with 300 at the wheels chiming in about stock trans. Idiots.

2006 Exige
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
This is simply not true. The stock Elise/Exige trans/clutch will last indefinitely at 250 bhp if driven correctly on street tires and a few track days a year. The problem starts at closer to 300 bhp with people that can't drive properly or are beating on the car at the track with slicks regularly. Then you have the hot-dogs with 300 at the wheels chiming in about stock trans. Idiots.
I have read more posts since my previous post and it seems the the stock trans is good to ~290HP in street applicatons. I'm planning to run endurance races so I am mostly interested in the most cost effective upgrade for my use. Considering I will have 4 different guys of varying skills drive the car with hard up/down shifts I would rather be prepared by swapping it out with something stronger. Thanks for all the thoughts/comments!
VisualEchos likes this.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
I have read more posts since my previous post and it seems the the stock trans is good to ~290HP in street applicatons. I'm planning to run endurance races so I am mostly interested in the most cost effective upgrade for my use. Considering I will have 4 different guys of varying skills drive the car with hard up/down shifts I would rather be prepared by swapping it out with something stronger. Thanks for all the thoughts/comments!
I think that, even with stock power, if you're competing and having different drivers, it's very prudent to have the trans gone through.

From my reading, Blackwatch has some great solutions.

2006 Exige
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I endurance race. The best advice I have for you is to develop your drivers as a priority over developing the car. It's team preparedness that wins an endurance race. You don't win an endurance race by shifting fast or hard. It takes drivers a while to develop skill shifting, even when they think they're already there. Shifting is more like trigger pull or a golf swing than than riding a bike. Little things that go unnoticed for a while can add up to DNFs and repair bills. Something like lifting the clutch pedal a fraction of a second before having the gear engaged will damage/wear the synchronizer hubs and blocking rings. You can review the video to check for things like that. But if you know all that, then by all means, build up the trans!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus "Track" and Racing Cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in