What did you do to your track car today / track day prep / track season prep. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

What did you do to your track car today / track day prep / track season prep.

Curious what other people do to prepare their track car for the season, next track day and general maintenance due to the demand we place on our cars.

Evora and Exige have a "what did you do" page so I figured what the hell. Im curious to see if I am doing enough, to little or overdoing it. What techniques are used to prepare our cars, what you found etc.......

Feel free to post pictures, checklists you may use, anything related to track cars.

You never know what you are missing or not doing.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 02:54 PM

i decided to check if there was anymore damage from my off the last time i was on track.

found a bent wishbone and a cracked steering rack.

For maintenance i would recommend a full nut and bolt check of all the suspension components, then the usual wear and tear checks on brakes and tyres
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 02:57 PM

I like the S111 checklist from here https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...thread-109039/ , because it lists the torque for each suspension bolt in one handy place where I can check it off and make sure I didn't forget a side. I check all of the suspension torques while I swap out my street wheels before heading to the track. This also gives me the opportunity to catch stuff like that scary bent control arm!

So far I do an oil change and brake bleed every 2 track days and a full brake fluid flush twice a year, more if the fluid looks bad. I'm generally too light on the brakes so my pads, rotors, and fluid don't seem to take abuse the way some (faster) drivers' do.

I haven't done the transmission fluid since last year so I will probably do it again before it warms up this year.

After last track day I had some toe wear (feathering) on my front tires, so I'm going to get another alignment done. I suspect the alignment I did after installing my DSBrace wasn't as good as it should have been, plus my drive to and from the track involves AWFUL construction bumps so I think an alignment once a year isn't unreasonable.

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

So it was 73 deg. today and im sick of winter, have done 1 Chumpcar race this year and eagerly awaiting track season. So far have signed up for Sebring in Mar. and Barber in April.

Decided to pull the pans off the Exige and do some inspecting, plus it seems like they always need cleaning. Checked what I could see of the exhaust system not wrapped. Checked the serpentine belt. Checked the CV boots for wear. Checked for oil leaks. Checked all coolant lines for chafing and weak points. Also General condition and security (nut and bolt).

Oil Pressure gauge quit halfway thru last DE of year. Found that problem!

Plugs have 1 DE on them, I replace copper every 3. Oil and filter have 1 track day and 3 Autox, I replace every 2 DE's. Gearbox lube has 1 DE and I replace every 3. Catch cans were emptied, got about a tablespoon.

Installed a Charge Bug too! Looks like a mess going to my battery but I have the Battery Tender, Coolshirt, Charge Bug and Terminals. The coolshirt and tender are fused so you see all of that too!

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 03:30 PM

Garage
Great idea for a thread. Might get me motivated too.

I walked by, looked at the bits of car and tools I laid near her at season's end. Figured it would make sense to have the wheels/tires rebalanced. They pick up so much rubber it throws them off balance quickly.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHILR8N! View Post
Great idea for a thread. Might get me motivated too.
Figured I would post something better than my usual goofball **** Bob. Been working my tail off lately and have not had much motivation to do anything either. Felt nice to get some tools in my hands for once it was actually relaxing and kept my mind off work........

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 08:17 PM

You might want to move that oil pressure transducer off the engine and on to the firewall (connected by a 1/4" braided line), the way you've got it there are two, possibly three failure modes. You've experienced one (broken wire), the next is sensor failure due to vibration, the third is fatigue and breakage of the sensor base.
I've experienced #1 and #2 , then I relocated it. If it were one of those very small bodied solid state sensors it would be a different story but those canister type are trouble in that location.

00' S1 Exige
17' Jaguar F-Type R
94' S4 Esprit (SOLD)
14' Evora S (SOLD)
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Bump.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 04:49 AM

I built and installed a new gearbox with one extra gear .

00' S1 Exige
17' Jaguar F-Type R
94' S4 Esprit (SOLD)
14' Evora S (SOLD)
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 05:59 AM

Garage
while my elise isnt a dedicated track car, i do track the car ~4-6 times a year.

Planning on working on replacing the radiator with a PRORad, stainless steel brake lines, and blower motor resistor mod with Corvus this weekend.

Going to be replacing pads with R4-S as well as doing the clutchstop mod later in a few weeks

Lotus Elise '05 Graphite Grey; Miles: 41,xxx
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 06:07 AM
Saffron Yellow is Lighter

I just bought a REV400 and all the extra goodies. Clam comes off next week!
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelr View Post
I built and installed a new gearbox with one extra gear .

Thanks for the post.................And I hate you!

I am in transmission hell at the moment!

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 10:20 AM

Garage
Oh, its going to take like 5 seconds, but bought sirlotus skid plates

Lotus Elise '05 Graphite Grey; Miles: 41,xxx
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 11:07 AM

Simple trick but I like to mark nuts (No, the Lotus ones!) with varnish (here red) for peace of mind during next time I just check things around on my suspension parts. There are special products out there... I have heard using nail varnish works well. If you want to have a finer mark (like on toe lock nuts - not present on the image below) you can get at the hobby store a special sharpie called "oil based paint"... it has a white body and when you shake it you will hear a ball moving inside the pen body... works really well on metal.

Other than that I try to adjust my intervals for engine and transmission oil in number of DE days... Have engine around 6 to 8 days or 3 to 4 week ends (but not happy about not being able to change the volume trapped in oil lines and coolers... working on a solution for that... will share when it works - idea is to push new oil in thus flushing the old oil but tricky to undo the lines from oil filter base and also not introduce air in the lines). For the transmission fluid I did not like the amount of grey stuff contained in the fluid last I changed after 6 week ends... will change this time after 3 and see if looks better.

Another trick... I have the stock drilled brake disks and I have noticed the holes easily get clogged with pads dust so when I swap my track to street wheels I take a look and quickly use my shop vac to unclog the holes... feel like it takes less time to do it than it would to assess whether it is worth doing or not... I know these holes help with eliminating gases produced during braking and keep pads surfaces "neater"... just feels right to keep them unclogged.

This is all I have for now
Attached Images

post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 06:53 PM

BOE Blkack series motor, Dry sump, Quaife overhaul, all should be ready by May
Mobius0034 likes this.

2008 Lotus 211, 2011 Boxster Spyder, 2014 Range Rover Sport, 2013 Range Rover Evoque, 2016 Alfa 4C (on order)
>previous 22011 Aston Vantage V12, Carbon Edition, Porsche Cayman R, 2010 Audi R8 V10, 2012 Audi TT RS, 2009 Aston Martin Vantage,2008 Boxster S, 2010 Audi S4, 2011 Range Rover Sport
post #16 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 08:47 PM
cph

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpenquinn View Post
BOE Blkack series motor, Dry sump, Quaife overhaul, all should be ready by May
Just done the same .. but added in the REV400 ... its unbelievvvvvvvable !!!
Night and day to the OEM ... you will love it .
I still have few HP to claim ... when I can get the right fuel... so thats a bit scary as its bloody quick now .

2-11 : BOE Built Engine / Rev 400 SC / Quaife Sequential / Dry Sump / Fastworks Tune SOLD
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...roject-339234/

ELISE : K20 / TVS 1320 / EP sequential / Dry Sumped / Motec M1

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...ealand-439105/

JUNO SSE K20 NA
post #17 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 04:44 PM

I'm seriously considering the "Long Rod" version. Decision will be made Monday:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/...2zz-ge-293897/

2008 Lotus 211, 2011 Boxster Spyder, 2014 Range Rover Sport, 2013 Range Rover Evoque, 2016 Alfa 4C (on order)
>previous 22011 Aston Vantage V12, Carbon Edition, Porsche Cayman R, 2010 Audi R8 V10, 2012 Audi TT RS, 2009 Aston Martin Vantage,2008 Boxster S, 2010 Audi S4, 2011 Range Rover Sport
post #18 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 04:17 PM

Garage
Do you do anything special with tire pressure at the beginning of a track day? Do you leave them on regular OEM recommended pressure or do you deflate them a bit? I have my first track day with my Evora S scheduled on next week. Thanks.

2014 Lotus Evora S | MT | Chrome Orange/Gloss Black on Ebony 2+2 | Larini Exhaust
2013 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe | Auto | Imola Red on Black Nappa | M Package
2013 Audi TT Roadster | DCT | Oolong Grey on Madras Brown
2012 MB CLS63 AMG Kleemann Tuning | MCT | Black on Black - Gone
2010 MB C63 AMG Kleemann Tuning | Auto | Black on Black - Gone
2008 BMW 550i | MT | Deep Sea Blue on Beige - Gone
post #19 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 04:22 PM
RBH

What did you do to your track car today? Got back home from WGI last night. Parked the car in the garage. Everything looks good. Looking for my next FIX Any suggestions?

Do it once. Do it right.
post #20 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 05:02 PM

What did you do to your track car today / track day prep / track season prep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cph View Post
Just done the same .. but added in the REV400 ... its unbelievvvvvvvable !!!

Night and day to the OEM ... you will love it .

I still have few HP to claim ... when I can get the right fuel... so thats a bit scary as its bloody quick now .

I can vouch for this car being bloody quick! A decent driver helps though doesn't it Barry

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2005 Elise 111R, 2litre, 315hp, FF275 Turbo kit 6lbs. Soon to be 400+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus "Track" and Racing Cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in