'00 A/C Recharging Port Location - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

'00 A/C Recharging Port Location

Does anyone know the location of '00 Esprit's A/C recharging port? I read the DIY on Lotus Esprit World and it seems the low-side recharging port on a S4 is located on the bottom of the car and involves removing the undertray.

However, I noticed a Evaporator Service Valve on my Esprit on it's located near near the front of the engine bay by the rear window of the passenger compartment. The valve's color is light green.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 07:32 AM

I've never checked a 00 model like yours but typically the service port is under the car as in the LEW write-up. If the service port you are referring to is in the low side compressor line then it should work.

Jim
1995 S4s
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchop View Post
Does anyone know the location of '00 Esprit's A/C recharging port? I read the DIY on Lotus Esprit World and it seems the low-side recharging port on a S4 is located on the bottom of the car and involves removing the undertray.

However, I noticed a Evaporator Service Valve on my Esprit on it's located near near the front of the engine bay by the rear window of the passenger compartment. The valve's color is light green.
The A/C charging ports on the 2000 V8 are underneath by the front of the engine, center and right side. Note that many V8 cars suffer from bad manifold pipes (they crack and leak, especially the alloy ones) and frequent compressor failures. Note there is no undertray on the V8 in the rear.

The green valve in the engine compartment (top left side) is for the evaporative emissions, nothing to do with A/C.

Regards, KM
2000 Esprit V8
2008 Elise SC

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 12:41 PM

Don't know about the V-8's, but the ports are probably near the compressor at the front right of the engine. That's where my 1991 SE's were.

You will need to remove the engine tray. Interetingly, my mechanic found that his lift blocked the bolts for the tray, so he had to unbolt it FIRST while the lift was in the down posiition, and then raise the car, and reverse the same procedure AFTER filling the system with R 12.

It was also a "two person job" as his helper watched the sight glass at the front of the car while he re-filled the system. Mine took four 12 oz cans, as it was empty. We will see in a while if I have a leak...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

thanks all. yes the port is underneath towards the center/passenger side. it turned out that one of the lines from the compressor was rubbing against the heat line which caused it to melt and leak R134.

There could also be a compressor leak how tough of a job is it to swap the compressor out?

Btw, I noticed the compressor is a typical delphi automotive part.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchop View Post
thanks all. yes the port is underneath towards the center/passenger side. it turned out that one of the lines from the compressor was rubbing against the heat line which caused it to melt and leak R134.

There could also be a compressor leak how tough of a job is it to swap the compressor out?

Btw, I noticed the compressor is a typical delphi automotive part.
My A/C compressor was replaced twice under warranty and the compressor manifold piping was replaced 3 times under warranty. As of a 4 years ago the compressor crapped out again. The dual condensers up front are also Delphi

In any case, not a fun job... which is why mine is still dead (plus I have two other cars and I've spent very little time in the US for the past few years). You'll need support the engine and remove the left motor mount and turbo plumbing to get access to the compressor.

Lotus charges close to $1K just for the compressor plus a fair number of hours for labor. Here's a link that another V8 buddy found... and as a result I have two compressors sitting at the house now, meaning two to replace once I get some free time.

New AC Compressor 1994 - 1998 Buick Chevy Oldsmobile Pontiac

I've not been able to verify that it fits but it's probably the correct part.

Regards, KM
2000 Esprit V8
2008 Elise SC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in