02 Inferno Red Esprit from NC/CA - Anyone know it? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation 02 Inferno Red Esprit from NC/CA - Anyone know it?

I am considering buying this car:

2002 Used Lotus Esprit at Norm Baker Motor Co. in Las Vegas, NV | Lotus, IID 4722565

Was in NC most of its life, before the owner took it to California. Anyone know it? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance gang!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 03:04 PM

Beautiful car...two things:

1. It's missing the two-piece front fiberglass splitter / lip (not necessary, but thought you should know that they should come with the car).

2. The front tires are feathering. The inside edge of both front tires are worn bald -- ask for an alignment service and a fresh pair of front tires before taking delivery.

Good luck -- she's a beaut!

Spool 'em up!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Birds of a feather....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Esprit V8 View Post
Beautiful car...two things:

1. It's missing the two-piece front fiberglass splitter / lip (not necessary, but thought you should know that they should come with the car).

2. The front tires are feathering. The inside edge of both front tires are worn bald -- ask for an alignment service and a fresh pair of front tires before taking delivery.

Good luck -- she's a beaut!
Appreciate the input...noticed the same two things :-)

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 05:37 AM
BCC

Great looking car. I was watching it on ebay 10 days ago, it had a 'buy it now' price of 43,995, and the auction ended with 0 bids. It looks like he's relisted currently for the same amount, still with no takers. Let us know if you get it!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 01:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 111ltwt View Post
Appreciate the input...noticed the same two things :-)
The car has the front spoiler below the lower valance. This part was made frm a rubber like material to allow it to be more forgiving than fiberglass as Lotus thought this piece might come into contact with the curb from time to time. On the 2002 cars it was two pieces that never quite fit right in the middle. This car looks to have the one piece unti that I believe was on the 2004 final edition.

The car looks very nice but the tire wear indicates a problem that really should be addressed. Also check to see if the car has the Glass sunroof in addition to the fiberglass unit that is shown.

Good luck with the car...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 03:20 PM

Nice car...see mine yet?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
The car has the front spoiler below the lower valance. This part was made frm a rubber like material to allow it to be more forgiving than fiberglass as Lotus thought this piece might come into contact with the curb from time to time. On the 2002 cars it was two pieces that never quite fit right in the middle. This car looks to have the one piece unti that I believe was on the 2004 final edition.

The car looks very nice but the tire wear indicates a problem that really should be addressed. Also check to see if the car has the Glass sunroof in addition to the fiberglass unit that is shown.

Good luck with the car...
Still negotiating....

I agree re the front tire wear. Seems like just a bunch of nagative camber was dialed in. Anyone disagree?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 10:25 AM

Garage
I would agree and its an easy thing to have checked and fixed.

I really like your choice of stripes on the Elise...We have a silver 2005 and plan to stripe it with a dark metallic silver and red...

Check to see if the timing belts were ever changed and if not get it done as soon as you get the car. Lotus will do the first belt change w/o charge and it important to make certain you find a reliable shop that knows the Esprit. I got my 2002 Esprit with 3700 miles on it and went right to the dealer we bought the Elise from to have the belts done. Big mistake, the "Lotus" mechanic mis-timed the car and bent 9 valves. Lotus sent a tech guy out to remove the motor and make it right but it was a real waste of time and grief. I now use a qualified private shop that knows the cars and gets it right the first time!!!

Good luck and have a great New Year..
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 11:14 AM

That tire wear could be from too much camber, wrong tire presures, and driving style. Some of the bits that should come along with the car:
2 sets of keys, fobs, cylindrical bypass (for alarm)
2 keys for the wheel covers
Tool kit
Bag and glass top (with all of the hardware. You will need another, higher weatherstrip to use it)
Battery cover
2 floor mats
Owner's manual
Jack, lug wrench, spare tire
All too often the seller will hold back some (or all) of these items. Maybe because he forgot, maybe as a momento, maybe to sell on E-Bay? When the car was sold new it had all of this stuff.
You should also ask if a cover is included, any extra parts, tools, bills, service history, manuals, touch-up paint, etc. Before you show ANY money ask to see the Title. Make sure it is paid off, all of the numbers agree (vin#) and it is not a salvage. If the car is due for a "C" service it can be expensive so the selling price should reflect that. Could cost as much as $5K depending on how it was cared for previously. If you do not know Lotus Esprit V-8's you *should* get someone who does BEFORE you buy it. You will certainly get them AFTER you buy it but then it is too late to negotiate the price!!!!!!!!
David Teitelbaum
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 12:27 PM

Take a look at my 2003 Esprit for sale, exact same colour and interior, a lot less miles, no missing parts and just had a full service, especially the belts serviced correctly at Viking Motorsports in Costa Mesa, CA (the premier Lotus Esprit maintenance place on the West coast). My car is on display at South Bay BMW, Hermosa Beach, CA. You can see the pics and details under Cars for Sale

My grandfather always taught me not to say anything unless I had something good to say. I will use his advice when it comes to Norm Baker in Las Vegas and shut up.

I have ADD: Automotive Diversity Disorder:
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 04:11 PM

I note that the red car currently has a sold notation next to the ad.

I agree with the prior comments - especially the protector for the nose. You REALLY NEED THAT INTACT AND IN PLACE to prevent chiping the fiberglass on drainage swales, curb cuts, or even high speed bumps!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 07:52 PM

Hi, sorry to jump in. I hope any of you did not buy the Esprit from Norm. That's all I would say.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 08:43 PM

One of our local group here in Orlando has a near perfect 02 red/tan with 28K miles for sale. PM me for contact info if interested.

Jim
1995 S4s
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 04:28 AM

Hey Jim, your site says your S4s is going up for sale?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoaos View Post
Hi, sorry to jump in. I hope any of you did not buy the Esprit from Norm. That's all I would say.
That needs some more explaining hehe
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 11:25 PM

I flew out there to look at the Esprit and the car was leaking from axle seal. They did not tell me until I spot it on the show room floor. Then they said they knew about it and if I bought it they would fix it..plus others lies..Before I flew out there the sale manager said the car was inspected and had nothing wrong. I almost bought the car in that condition. Looking at the amount of oil on the floor, I would say the trans was half empty. So whoever bought that car I would think he will need a rebuild soon.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 08:52 AM

The leaky output seal isn' so much the problem as the Seller lying about the condition of the car. If he knew you were flying out to see it (and spending considerable time and money) he should have been more honest up front. Now you have to worry about what else he lied about or just isn't saying! The leak could be an indicator of a major problem inside the transmission but more than likley it can be fixed inexpensively by just replacing the seal. The Seller's credability on the other hand can't be fixed. Worst case the leak could cost $10K by the time you're done. Rebuilding the transmission and replacing the clutch. Looking throught the service history on the car and dumping the ECU can tell you if the previous owner was beating on the car. If he was then just replacing the seal isn't going to last. Anyone who buys this car should have it looked over by a knowledgable Lotus mechanic with particular attention paid to the transmission and clutch. How many miles on the car? Over 20K and you can figure if you pull the tranny you will be replacing the clutch too. That can be as much as $3.5K just in parts.
David Teitelbaum
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 11:28 PM

Hi David,
Exactly how I feel about that dealer. I can't agree more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in