1988 40th Anniversary Edition Esprit thread - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 04:43 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Wow Tom, nice research.

I haven't reviewed your entire listing yet, but @Turbo R , @Frank928, and Matt Serwicki of Lotus of Western NY https://www.lotuswny.com/ own USA Commemorative Edition Esprits.

I think there is another in PA that is being parted out.

(ROW Commemoratives had their own numbered run)
Turbo R likes this.

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Nice, thanks for the information, I'll see if I can track them down!
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 01:46 PM

This is a most excellent Commemorative thread, Tom!
Thanks for including my car in your thread. Your post #18 of this thread is mine, #87 of 88 made.

My car was featured in a really fantastic and in-depth French book on Lotus Esprits a decade or so ago, a book called "Lotus Esprit - Le Grande Tourisme a f'anglaise" by Remy Solnon. Easily the best and most comprehensive book on the Lotus Esprit I have ever seen...my only wish is if only there was an english version. Regardless, I look at my French book often...it is that good!

As you can see in the first pic that you posted, with the Golden Gate Bridge in the background, the car is not in France, but here in the states. The other pics are from pictures of my car that were featured in that book.

I bought this car in 2000 (after missing my previous yellow 1988 Esprit Turbo with S4s/V8 wing that I added) and then sold it on consignment in 2001. The person who bought it joined our local clubs and became a good friend. When he found a newer Esprit, I bought my old Esprit back from him a year later in 2002 and have owned it ever since. Sadly, we lost contact after he moved to the east coast, but am still trying to get a hold of him. Anyway, I still have it to this day, in addition to my yellow Esprit V8.

BTW, your post #5 is also my car. That car is not #9, but rather #87 of 88. I was prez of GGLC at the time and for the first time in ages, if ever, Lotus won the group participation award for having the most cars at the event...I still have that silver platter here at home and cherish it to this day.

Been so busy lately that I haven't been on in LT as much, but my good friend Eddie (SLEEK GT) let me know about this thread...looking forward to seeing more great posts and updates on this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom999p View Post

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/171770173267104989/ This is from France: In 1988, Lotus Cars USA released a limited edition of 88 Esprit Turbo "Commemorative edition" , also known as "USA market limited edition" , similar to the " 40th anniversary commemorative edition " reserved for the English market.
Attached Images

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 01:53 PM

The above is an older pic, but I hope to take some new pics of the car real soon!
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 08:53 PM
Love Affair with Vivian

All 88 were pearl white? Post 16 says 44 were PW.. 88 was for the world or US?

Does this version have a special basket between the two seat backs? Looks like a large divider on car #66... makes me wonder if all cars after 88 had same storage bin between seatbacks and if it was larger than pre 88 cars.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoIt'sNotAFerrari View Post
All 88 were pearl white? Post 16 says 44 were PW.. 88 was for the world or US?

Does this version have a special basket between the two seat backs? Looks like a large divider on car #66... makes me wonder if all cars after 88 had same storage bin between seatbacks and if it was larger than pre 88 cars.
Yes, It has a somewhat large compartment between the seats where I was told that all 88 Esprits had Sony disk changers installed. On top of that is a plastic tray that sits on top of the compartment. Mine does have the Sony disk changer in it as well as the original Sony radio.

Regarding your comment about post #16, you're right, I'd noticed that too. But my intent for this thread was to regurgitate what the original stories of these cars were, and not to refute any information that might be incorrect. I'd copied and pasted all of these stories, so you might find some inconsistencies as I have too...
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo R View Post
The above is an older pic, but I hope to take some new pics of the car real soon!
Thanks for posting Turbo R! It's great to hear more info on these awesome cars
Turbo R likes this.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:27 AM

Garage
Tom,

Just joined Lotus Talk as I just purchased #54 of 88. I'll post more details and photos later. I'm surprised at the variations/configurations on this model/year. I see a lot of disparity in descriptions, especially in the HP rating.

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in