1988 Lotus Esprit battery type needed - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

1988 Lotus Esprit battery type needed

My 1988 Esprit needs a new battery. The old one was not the correct battery for the car.

Does anyone know a battery type number for the Esprit that my local auto parts store will recognize?
They do not have 1988 Esprit in their system. My owner's handbook states a type 088 (UK number), not of help here.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 10:07 AM

I have an '88 too. Dug out my last battery receipt Group 47, 600 CCA
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 03:49 PM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
I'm using a 58R in my '88. My notes say that a Group 42 fits, as well.

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 06:24 PM

I just put a new Optima Red Top into my Esprit V8...a "34/78" which is also what I run in my '88 Commemorative.

Speaking of which, I need to pick a new one up for that car soon as well. You can easily get them at your local O'Reilly's (they usually keep them in stock) and sometimes at your local Costco.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 07:25 PM

I have a 124R in my G body, but I have never tried to put the battery cover on, so I don't know if it would fit.
I don't know if they changed the battery box when they moved to the stevens.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 10:53 PM

The'R' is important on the stevens bodies, it denotes that the terminals are reversed from battery standards application data. The standard will fit but it means stretching the positive cable to the outside of the trunk/hatch area as opposed to the OEM inside fitment (learnt that the hard way )
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 03:23 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
The important thing (besides terminal orientation) is the size of the 'well' that the battery fits into. There is plenty of height available.

Measure the L x W of the well, then measure the size of the base of the battery you are considering.

It's useful to note that SOME batteries have flanges at the bottom as a way of securing them (in some cars). Sometimes the width of the flange is not part of the specified dimensions. (I had to take a grinder to this flange on my previous battery)

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for all of your responses. Off to the auto parts store tonight.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 06:00 AM

Ideally you want to put in the largest battery you can with the most capacity that will fit. Next important is the terminals, type and location. If you increase the height you must modify the hold-down hardware. Don't skip that part, a battery that bounces around will have a shorter life. The cover is useful to prevent anything from shorting the terminals but it is difficult to install and remove and you can't jump the car with it in place. As for the gel cell type batteries like an Optima, there have been a lot of complaints about them failing prematurely without warning. IMHO not worth the extra money. A standard lead/acid sealed battery works just fine with a few caveats. They don't last long if they get overcharged or are chronically undercharged. They are no good after about 5 years. To extend their life always keep them fully charged. If you don't use the car regularly use a battery tender every 2 weeks for 1 day. Never allow the battery to discharge and freeze. Check the alternator when installing a new battery . Most places will do that for free and even install the battery for you!
David Teitelbaum
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 06:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrealty View Post
[snip]If you increase the height you must modify the hold-down hardware. Don't skip that part, a battery that bounces around will have a shorter life. [snip]As for the gel cell type batteries like an Optima, there have been a lot of complaints about them failing prematurely without warning. IMHO not worth the extra money.[snip]They don't last long if they get overcharged or are chronically undercharged. They are no good after about 5 years. To extend their life always keep them fully charged. [snip]
David Teitelbaum
My 87 Turbo Esprit has a ~4 year old battery and there is no hold down hardware. Gonna have to dig out the manual to see what parts to get.

RE: Optima - my late 88 had a PO installed Red Optima with a $79 price tag on it in 2011 - that indicated it lasted well over 8 years. But it was driven sparingly and always in a California garage (most of it climate-controlled). I replaced it with a $199 Red Optima and it was fine during the 49 months of daily driving - no premature failure. Admitted California mild weather may have played big part.

Since the 87 isn't a daily driver, will have to treat it a bit differently. Going to get the biggest battery for the floor-mounted well and measure it and the battery. Size matters

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 08:51 AM

NAPA Battery

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP8434R

I've been through a lot of batteries over the years including Optimas. In my opinion this Napa 34r is the best deal out there. Fits perfectly, accommodates the battery cover, lots of power. 84 month warranty including 2 year replacement honored at any Napa shop anywhere.

Tom Mieczkowski
1989 Esprit Turbo
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 09:32 PM

FWIW this is what the battery hold down looks like on my '86 G car. Not sure if it's stock but it has a threaded rod at each end of the battery that holds down the battery cover and the battery. Pretty basic.
Attached Images

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 08:06 AM

The actual hardware that is the hold down can be reproduced. As shown it is just 2 pieces of threaded rod, a couple of nuts and washers. The two parts that are "special" are the plastic cover and the bar that fits over the top of the battery. You can do without the plastic cover and the bar can be just a flat piece of steel or a piece of angle.
David Teitelbaum
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 09:05 PM

Garage
Thanks for the pictures of the 86 Esprit battery hold down. My factory manual doesn't show this diagram with the cover. My car is missing the threaded rod and cover, but should be straighforward to fabricate a hold down.

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:47 AM
Dreaded Prior Owner

For what it's worth here's a '85 battery cover. Expertly crafted from wafer-thin ABS.
Attached Images

1985 BRG Turbo Esprit
Chargecooled w/Megasquirt EFI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in