Muffler

Now that there is a tank muffler if they ever used them

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/att...1&d=1484925188
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 08:00 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
The Renault-tranny'd cars use a different silencer mounting system than the '88 and older Citroen cars.

Jenna's picture is of a Citroen system, wherein the muffler and pipes don't flex as much, as they are mounted directly to the transmission rather than hanging from the body.

(I DO like the polished stainless tho'...I made an attempt to polish my SS OEM muffler once... and it would have taken me YEARS. :-( )

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 08:09 AM
You can't make this up

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
The Renault-tranny'd cars use a different silencer mounting system than the '88 and older Citroen cars.

Jenna's picture is of a Citroen system, wherein the muffler and pipes don't flex as much, as they are mounted directly to the transmission rather than hanging from the body.

(I DO like the polished stainless tho'...I made an attempt to polish my SS OEM muffler once... and it would have taken me YEARS. :-( )

Your retired,, all you have is time Get at it
greenisGood likes this.

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Out with the old, in with the new....

Original vs GT3071
Attached Images

carbuff and Erik L like this.
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

A little more progress...

It maybe useful to note that I found I had to rotate the exhaust housing slightly to allow the oil drain to clear, and the inlet side in the opposite direction to match the angle of the original. It's important to do the exhaust side first. Also I found that the original drain hose (which is to be reused through an adapter on the turbo end) is a little tighter than I'd like; I'll followup with Aaron to see if he has a replacement/alternative - if not I'll investigate how to get a longer drain hose or add an insert into the original.
Attached Images

carbuff, Erik L and MRDANGERUS like this.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 06:32 AM
Integrator

Garage
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

yes - i will send more details
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Minimal setup complete -- so far it starts & runs.

Next step is to change ECU to Aaron's chip/map & start monitoring with Freescan.
Attached Images

Erik L likes this.
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

@Jenn a's s4: The complete Allunox exhaust fitted on the S4 -- it may be because they added the large flex joint in there to allow it to fit. It does touch the existing stainless steel heat plate between the pipe and the wheel -- but that should be ok with a small adjustment of the plate.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Here are the specs that came with the turbo:
Attached Images

post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:55 AM
Integrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmcdougall View Post
Here are the specs that came with the turbo:
What trim?
Did they provide you a map w/this turbo?

IMO
.72 A/R is very strong above 5,000rpm, but it may be less effective in the low/mid range. Large A/R makes the turbo to come on very abruptly, it feels like an on-off switch.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-fo...63-ar-1061158/

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 01-19-2019 at 12:23 PM.
post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:18 AM

Loving your work an detailed write up - its very helpful as I am doing almost exactly the same with an S4S:

- Alunox header/ 3 inch dual exit exhaust
- RC injectors ( primary and secondary)
- Uprated fuel pump
- PUK Chip - have a #4 at the moment
- ITG filter - had K&N but that was so difficult to fit and I have always felt they are a bit of a dubious choice.... very good airflow but does it come at the cost of filtration???

I am about to order the same turbo as you have from ATS but might see what your final experiences are with that turbo......Also am tempted to go to the #6 chip

Are you running the standard wheels? I wanted a bit more grip so I upsized the rear tyres. I have changed the old crazed and peeling Oz lips to radinox from felgenfuchs which look very nice. Went to the 3.25s on the rear to fit 315s but standard lips on the front (2.0) - Michelin pilot sport 4s on front (245/40/17) and pilot sport ps2 on rear (315/30/18).

Are you planning on fitting the larger alunox charge cooler? Can anyone else recommend this - did you see improvement? I think the S4S has slightly bigger CC than the S4 but could be wrong....?

I hope the UN1-26 can handle all of this?
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

I'm about to re-engage on this project -- I had a 2-month unplanned break from the project.

A few people recommended not doing the PUK chip -- I have one spare now as a result :-) I'm using the chip Aaron made (a V1.0) and he suggested he'd offer a v1.1 soon.

My current status is I've finished the install and driven the car just a few miles -- and will be doing a dyno run in the next week.

I have the V8 Saturn wheels with their standard tire sizes - 285/18 on the rear.

I would recommend reaching out to aaron -- since he has a car with this setup and can guide you and hopefully help with general tuning followon. PM me with your email and I can loop you in.
post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Another important item -- my system is a bit quieter that I would have liked. I queried Alunox and they said they can do two variants of the 3" dual system based on what you need.
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so back on project Esprit.

It's up and running.

Low end and driveabiltiy so far is great -- seems better than it was before with the smaller turbo.

However, I've run into an issue where there is a lot of misfire/breakdown over 5k RPM.

From a quick run on a dyno with a wideband AFR we can see it's too rich -- looks like it's when secondaries come on.

I've gone through a variety of issues checking if any of the build or sensors are inaccurate or different enough that Aaron's tune wouldn't directly work in my setup, and drawing blanks so far:

- checked all sensors
- replaced o2
- new gapped plugs
- etc,...

AFR goes to < 10 when under boost > 5000rpm.

It seems like there is less VE at higher RPM than Aaron's setup.

One option is to tune to my setup, but I'm also trying to debug why it's so different to Aarons.

One item that is different is the exhaust. I'm using the quiet version of the 3" Allunox.

Next up is to try no a run with no exhaust.

If anyone has any other ideas about what might cause less VE or too rich please jump in. (cam timing?).

Richard
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

AFR:RPM Plot
Attached Images

post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

A bit of an update here -- worked with Aaron to get a different map with less fuel and the car is running great.

I've not got setup with real-time editing of the maps and monitoring of actual A:F ratios with a wide band 02 sensor.

I'm using the PLX sensor and box to read A:F by replacing the original esprit O2 sensor with a wide band, and an adapter box which provides a bluetooth A:F with an analog output that emulates the narrow band back to the ECU.

That setup gives the best of both worlds -- actual A:F, a working ECU and full map editing.

It looks like Aaron's ECU chip is great so far -- lots of enhancements over the s4s code base.

So far the drivability is GREAT. Much better than I ever had with the smaller turbo. Spool up time is quick and the boost comes on strong. Loosing grip in 2nd gear with 285 tires was somewhat of a surprise [must be gentle with transaxle!]. Will give a more detailed report once I have a little more time with the car setup.
MRDANGERUS, snowrx and uklad99 like this.
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

PLX A:F

PLX A:F
Attached Images

post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:59 AM
Integrator

Garage
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

A quick update; with some minor adjustments to the map and some rework of the wastegate adjustments it's now running really well and with good A:F. I'm ready to try a the dyno.

I'm now going to see if I can find a way to plumb the PLX A:F box (5v output) into a spare ADC port in the ECU so that it can also be logged by ALDL/Freescan. That would give TPS, RPM, Boost and real A:F from the wideband all in one correlated data log.
Erik L, MRDANGERUS and Seraph like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in