1997 Esprit V8 - Boost gauge - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By raulg
  • 1 Post By 2Many Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

1997 Esprit V8 - Boost gauge

I have a V8 turbo and posted recently here about the fuel pump.
While working on the fuel pump, I noticed a short black wire not connected to anything (attached photo).

The boost gauge (in the dashboard) does not work, so I thought this wire may be related to the gauge.
i glanced through the owner's diagrams and found the approximate location of the pressure transducer (sensor), and thought the unconnected wire would be the culprit.
I looked for the pressure transducer and found that it has two wires connected to it. It sits near the ECU.
The one unconnected wire is located near the firewall and hangs loose above the fuel pump.

Questions:
1. What could the unconnected wire be for?
2. What should i check to fix the boost gauge?

Thank you for your time and advice
Rg
Attached Images

actwon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 08:30 AM

See if there is a wire attached to the strut nearby. I don't think it has anything to do with the boost gauge.
David Teitelbaum
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 08:50 AM

Just guessing but it looks like it might be related to the rear window defogger.
actwon likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 07:19 PM

Does your third brake light work? If not, that's the wire that should be connected to the tailgate strut to make it function.

Sanj's Esprit Turbo SE pages are missing -- PM me if you need ALDL cables, Tech-1's or memcal services.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 08:40 AM
Happy Lotus Owner

Garage
That attaches to the passenger side rear strut. Itís for the defroster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

actwon
--------
'12 Range Rover Sport
'06 Lambo Murcielago
'01 Esprit v8
'95 Ducati 916 Sold

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Sanj,
I checked the brake lights, they all work.

Actwon,
The struts for the engine lid are not original. The current one does not have a "blade" to connect the wire end to it. The length of the wire would be adequate to connect to the end of the strut however I don't see a hole for the wire to pass through from the area above the fuel pump to connect to the strut.
I guess I could find a blade connector and attach it to the base of the pin where the strut attaches and drill a hole for the wire. right now the wire is in the space beneath the horizontal carpet panel.

In regards to the boost sender, do you think the current one could be bad? I traced the red tubing that connects to the sender and it appears in good condition, no loose ends or broken sections.
In the attached photos one can see the defrost wire connected to the glass behind the driver's. Another photo shows the red tubing at the fire wall (the screwdriver is pointing to it) pass side.

Thank you for any advice you can provide.
Raul
Attached Images

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

I contacted JAE parts, they carry the engine lid struts with the blades that would allow the wire near the fuel pump to connect to the bottom of the strut.
Looking again at that area near the fuel pump, there appears to be space next to the firewall for the wire to extend and connect to the blade on the strut.

Questions:
1. Is there supposed to be another wire near the fire wall on the driver's side?
2. The struts available at JAE have the blade connectors on both ends. Are wired supposed to be connected at both ends of each strut?
3. Could anyone share a picture of what the strut/wires should look like? Both driver's and passenger side?

My car has an issue with the boost gauge not working. I haven't figured that out. Is there a way to test the pressure sending unit (near the ECU)?

Thank you for any advice you can provide.
RG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in