1st Time Esprit Owner - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

1st Time Esprit Owner

After many years of being on my wish I hope to be the owner of an '89 Esprit. I purchased last week but still have to go see the car in person to confirm condition etc. I've owned a couple older model Porsches but this will be my first Lotus. I'm in the process to trying to find someone to possibly go and inspect it for me. It's got less less than 12,000 miles and if it has been represented fairly it's it looks to be in very good condition. As a new owner going in is there any advice you could give or anything specific I should be cautious of?
Thanks,
Travis

Update 1: I am in Ga but the car is located in Orlando Florida. The owner says that they have all the service records including timing belt etc. and also AC serviced.

Last edited by tstrick972; 03-17-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 10:32 AM

There are a a lot of things to watch out for in buying a Lotus. It varies greatly by model. You really have to get someone who is knowledgable in the particular model/year. Better now than after you buy it. Where are you so we can recommend a nearby shop? One thing that is pretty universal to have for a Lotus is a through service history. If you don't have that you really have to start from the beginning assuming nothing was ever done right or when it should have been done. That means your early services will be expensive because you have to do EVERYTHING!
David Teitelbaum
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 10:58 AM

before I bought mine, I looked at the obvious visual condition (paint, leather, tires, body...)

But more important quick indicators for how the car has been treated are to look in the coolant tank. Look for signs of corrosion inside the tank.

Also look at the body inside each opening. Look for cracks, patches... Look under the rubber door seals, in the front bonnet, in the rear trunk area, also look where the hinges are for the hatch.

I also looked at the suspension bushings for unusual wear.

The engine should be compression tested, and the ECU checked with Freescan, but you'd have to know how to interpret the values.

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

My Lotus Project Photo Collection

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrealty View Post
There are a a lot of things to watch out for in buying a Lotus. It varies greatly by model. You really have to get someone who is knowledgable in the particular model/year. Better now than after you buy it. Where are you so we can recommend a nearby shop? One thing that is pretty universal to have for a Lotus is a through service history. If you don't have that you really have to start from the beginning assuming nothing was ever done right or when it should have been done. That means your early services will be expensive because you have to do EVERYTHING!
David Teitelbaum
I agree...

Congratulations!

2012 Lotus Evora S GP Edition #14/14
1995 Lotus Esprit S4
1991 Toyota MR2
1987 Renault GTA

www.91MR2.multiply.com
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 12:31 PM

Congratulations. Consider having the local dealer take a look at the car after you get your hands on it. A full inspection and fluid change might be in order.

There are a bunch of Lotus folks in Georgia. Atlanta is a hotbed of activity. Contact the Lotus Ltd South East folks.

Have some fun.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:16 PM

congrats! post up some pics.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 06:59 PM

Travis,

Congrats on the purchase, it sounds like it could be a good one.

I'm in Orlando and would be glad to take a look at the car for you. Check your PM for my contact info.

Is this car at a dealer? I thought I knew of all the Esprits in the area but this one is not familiar.

Jim

Jim
1995 S4s

Last edited by lotus4s; 03-17-2010 at 07:06 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 03:10 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus4s View Post

I thought I knew of all the Esprits in the area but this one is not familiar.

Jim
Hey Jim, I stopped making claims like that. They always seem to come out of the woodwork at times don't they?

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Not the admin anymore

Garage
Hi Travis, welcome......congratulations on the pending purchase. Hopefully everything checks out OK.

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Audi R8
I am no longer the admin. If you need help, please contact a moderator or send a PM to 'Administrator'.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 07:14 PM

lol, you're right Atwell, they do turn up unexpectedly at times.

Jim
1995 S4s
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 11:04 AM

How handy are you with a wrench? Owning an Esprit is a lot cheaper if you can handle the minor difficulties yourself. If you have to take it to a shop for every little quibble, it can eat you out of house and home. Overall, mine has been quite reliable, but there's always some little thing to attend to. My heater motor is out right now, have to go at it with a voltmeter and figure out where it lost power.

Believe it or not, I find my 90's engine easier to service than my 2001 Mercury sable wagon, where most of the accessories are on the bottom of the engine.

If you need tires, I highly recommend Toyo T1R's. They can be had in the 15 and 16 inch sizes you need, and they stick like crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in