910 Megasquirt - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:05 PM

Some years back I worked on Artie Baldwin's old '89 non-SE that he had converted to an SE. One of the things he did was move the oil cooler to the rear of the car, low attached to the frame, just to the right of the muffler. It was not the stock oil cooler but a smaller one and he added two Spal fans which ran continuously if the engine was running. We ended up selling the car pretty quickly after we got it up and running (Artie had continuously blown head gaskets due to some pretty bad work by a shop that he had used to do an engine rebuild). I often wondered about relocating the oil cooler aft and using fans in order to either free up space forward of the radiator assembly or to take some heat load off both the AC condenser and the radiator. Plus in my case if I wanted to add an intercooler to my car (it's an '89 non-SE) I would need to find a space for the intercooler water circuitry much as Artie attempted. Anybody out there ever moved to oil cooler to a rear position and relied on fan-driven air flow? Any data on how well that worked out?

Tom Mieczkowski
1989 Esprit Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:16 PM

I have no idea of how much heat dissipates through the oil cooler up front.
But could an oil to cooling water heat exchanger be an option.
Considering that my self, or the AC condenser that have to go!
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:15 AM

When I was changing mine to SE spec I was trying to figure out what to do with the oil cooler. I didn't want it dumping heat right in front of the Chargecooler radiator and engine radiator. Then I noticed the little oil cooler on my Audi A8. So I got an engine oil cooler, sandwich type, for an audi V6 2.8 and a remote oil filter assembly. It doesn't try to cool all the oil, looks like 50% or less if I recall. Works wonderfully! I don't track the car but the engine temps never get much past 82 degrees C if at all even when it's hot out and, added benefit, the oil is sooooo much easier and less messy to change. I can dig out the receipts and take pics if you are interested.

post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:26 PM

Did you ever get that knocking sensor connected and functioning?
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 06:05 AM
Integrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mieczkow View Post
Some years back I worked on Artie Baldwin's old '89 non-SE that he had converted to an SE. One of the things he did was move the oil cooler to the rear of the car, low attached to the frame, just to the right of the muffler. It was not the stock oil cooler but a smaller one and he added two Spal fans which ran continuously if the engine was running. We ended up selling the car pretty quickly after we got it up and running (Artie had continuously blown head gaskets due to some pretty bad work by a shop that he had used to do an engine rebuild). I often wondered about relocating the oil cooler aft and using fans in order to either free up space forward of the radiator assembly or to take some heat load off both the AC condenser and the radiator. Plus in my case if I wanted to add an intercooler to my car (it's an '89 non-SE) I would need to find a space for the intercooler water circuitry much as Artie attempted. Anybody out there ever moved to oil cooler to a rear position and relied on fan-driven air flow? Any data on how well that worked out?

89 cars and all previous MY have one centrally located oil cooler.
On my 88 Car, I mocked up two smaller coolers in space available in front of the frt wheels. This location gives a better cold air flow than @rear.
Coolers are CX racing 8 row + 5.5" SPALS
Attached Images

post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Dreaded Prior Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naasaa View Post
Did you ever get that knocking sensor connected and functioning?
Connected and functioning, yes. Tuned properly, who knows?

Given that the Megasquirt is a universal standalone ECU, it gives you lots of options to set up (or mess up) knock control, and it's up to you, the manual and the forum gurus to make sense of it. Basically you can select a resonant frequency determined by the cylinder bore, then chart a baseline of allowable normal noise, then tell the thing how fast to pull timing and how fast to add it back in. Beyond that you can monitor noise by cylinder or tell it to listen at particular times in the combustion cycle etc,etc.

On my setups it's pretty obvious in the datalogs when you get noise spikes, and the ECU pulls timing promptly, but I have no doubt there's room for improvement in my settings.
Attached Images

1985 BRG Turbo Esprit
Chargecooled w/Megasquirt EFI
post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 12:19 PM

I did the same thing with the knock sensor, works fine. The one thing I didn't think of with it until it didn't work was it's a single wire sensor. It depends on being screwed into the boss on the block for a ground. Epoxy is an insulator, so no ground...duhh. I had to run a separate ground wire.
post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 09:37 AM

Years ago I worked with large diesel and gas engines at power plants.
During commissioning we calibrated each knocking sensor. One at each cylinder head.
These were Bosch sensors. If one is replaced, it had to be calibrated again.
Thats why I asked how you did it with MS. Guess that the right way is to listen for knocking on a dyno, and set the values accordingly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in