'98 V8 Nagging electrical issue(s) - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By carbuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

'98 V8 Nagging electrical issue(s)

My local Lotus dealer is currently backed up and doesn't seem to have the time to work on my car. I'm thinking I may pull it back if I can get some credible things to try. There are three rather major things going on. Two of them I feel could be related.

1. According to the car's gauge, the coolant temp is pegged once it reaches temperature. This happened the last two times I had the car out. The dealership says they couldn't replicate the issue. Could this be the thermostat? Are they difficult to change?

2. The car's alternator/battery light stays on after the car is started. I recently removed the alternator and had it tested (which it checked fine) and went on to have it rebuilt even though the technician said nothing was wrong with it. Reinstalled it only for it to not change the light situation.

3. The car stalls intermittently while driving. All of a sudden, the car will just die. The voltage never drops according to my gauge but the check engine light comes on while the car is stalled. Once you let off the gas and with the clutch out and the car rolling, it will start again. I have no idea what might cause this. It seems as though it could be shorting out somehow, and may be related to my battery light issue.

FYI: I pulled a code P1106 when I first started poking around. Not sure if that's related or how long that code was resident. Fuel pressure remains constant throughout.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:18 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
I'd start with #2. That could very well be causing the others.

Do you have an OBDII reader that will log voltage over time? The purpose is to see if your glitches occur when voltage is low.

At minimum, post back with a reading of voltage when the battery light is on. You can buy voltage readers that fit into lighter plug sockets cheaply (and they will charge your cellphone too)
Seraph likes this.

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:34 AM

Get the battery tested and if over 5 years old just replace it. Make sure all of the "big" connections are clean and tight. P1106 is a rationality check between the MAP and BARO sensors which seems like an unrelated problem. Possibly a bad connection or a faulty sensor. The temp gauge also sounds like a bad connection type problem. The engine stalling could be a bad connection problem too or a chronic low voltage problem. These problems all sound like they are on a car that is not driven often. That tends to produce bad connection type problems. Use seems to prevent them.
David Teitelbaum

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:40 AM

Got my white Esprit back from them this past Saturday......I'm not complaining but have to mention they'd had it about 6 months.....pulled engine about 4 times in the process....so maybe they can give yours more attention now......with Craig leaving, it threw the shop quite a curve ball I'd bet ....John seems to be a pretty good guy.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions. Yeah eyerace, I saw your white V8 there for quite a while with it's internals all laid out on the table. Happy that it's finally back on the road. Yeah real shame that Craig is no longer there. I'm literally considering selling both my Vanquish and Esprit over his departure. He's been able to track down issues that others simply couldn't.

Speaking of the Vanquish, I was on the Aston Forum as I'm having some strange electrical issues with that car as well. One possibility that several members brought up was rodent damage. After dismissing it initially, I'm beginning to think that's a real possibility. Mainly because, I KNOW FOR SURE A RAT TOOK UP RESIDENCE IN MY GARAGE FOR A FEW DAYS!! He left "proof" everywhere. I'm afraid to think what this means if true. I don't even know where to begin on either car.

I guess I'll try changing the battery just to rule that possibility out. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks again.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:53 AM

Virtually all cars these days seem to have wires with soybean based insulation rather than simple petrol based plastic... trouble is vermin like to eat the soy...so is the Esprit old enough that plastic was used?... no idea about the Aston Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in