ABS light and speedometer - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jtrealty
  • 1 Post By Wilsoch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

ABS light and speedometer

I've had an odd problem pop up intermittently with my '98 Esprit. When I start the car, the yellow ABS light will stay illuminated (solid, not blinking), and the speedometer will not work. (The tach still works.) After driving for about 5 to 10 minutes, the light goes off and the speedo starts working. I had it in with a good mechanic earlier this week, and he didn't find anything, and no codes were triggered in the computer. Any ideas what might cause this? It's happened 3 or 4 times recently. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 03:23 PM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Weak battery?

Is it more than 5 years old?

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 05:06 PM
Dreaded Prior Owner

Iffy VSS / ABS sensor signal?

1985 BRG Turbo Esprit
Chargecooled w/Megasquirt EFI

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 05:54 PM

The ABS gets it's signals from the ECU and the wheel sensors. So does the speedometer. The way to fix it would be to scan for codes when the ABS light is on. Otherwise you are just guessing as to the cause. You *could* plug and unplug the wheel sensors just in case it is a bad connection. The speedo only gets the signal from one of the wheels, I don't remember which one. One of the front ones I think.That's where I would start. As for codes, you have to look in the ABS system, not the engine ECU. A weak battery isn't the problem, most likely a bad connection at a wheel sensor, a bad sensor or the sensor needs to be adjusted.
David Teitelbaum
DaveS4s likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 03:47 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
I only mentioned a weak battery because after driving (and charging), the issue goes away.

Was recently working with a local S4s owner who had lost his speedometer readings. He DID have a VSS issue (and so have others from our research). But his ultimate fix was to repair a loose (backed-out) terminal at the ECU.

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 06:14 AM
My car sneezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsoch View Post
I've had an odd problem pop up intermittently with my '98 Esprit. When I start the car, the yellow ABS light will stay illuminated (solid, not blinking), and the speedometer will not work. (The tach still works.) After driving for about 5 to 10 minutes, the light goes off and the speedo starts working. I had it in with a good mechanic earlier this week, and he didn't find anything, and no codes were triggered in the computer. Any ideas what might cause this? It's happened 3 or 4 times recently. Thanks!
Does he have the proper tool to scan the ABS module like a Tech 1 with appropriate cartridge? Hooking up a generic OBD2 scanner will not read ABS codes.

'03.5 Final Edition Esprit ~ 5.7lbs/hp; mildly modded - 430rwhp, 353rwtq
'65 Karmann Ghia, '80 930, '89 928 S4, '92 Corrado, '02 Maserati Coupe, '06 Murcielago
www.fquick.com/gmendoza
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPI...bwPaEI4JFbyCrA
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the tips. I'll keep an eye on this. Turns out the battery was a little weak. (I didn't realize that the breaker on the garage outlet had been tripped, so the charger wasn't doing anything.) If the problem doesn't clear up once the battery is up to snuff, I'll drop it by the mechanic with these suggestions.
carbuff likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in