• 3 Post By Jenna'sEspritTurbo
  • 2 Post By DaveS4s
  • 1 Post By rjmcdougall

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
Alunox header installation

Has anyone installed Alunox header with engine in situ?

Any tips/observations would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:55 AM
You can't make this up

On a G car yes. It took about 24 hours off and on and lots of four letter words. Are you doing a Stevens body??? If not I will walk you through the bleeding and what it took. If you are doing a complete exhaust system with a catalyst there is an whole other issue if using Alunox supplied 3 inch exhaust. Vivian had his daughter weld in a custom made exhaust system. The lower tub on North American cars is different then the ROW cars without catalyst. One thing to keep in mind is the oem header is notched out and some of the nuts are hidden. 1/8 and 1/4 turn backing off with custom "adjusted" wrenches to fit in. Also lots of heat three times with a banging device and penetration oil. Some nuts will not come off until the manifold is moved away from the head. New nuts will have a 12mm size and easier to work with on the reinstall instead of the 13mm. RDENT and JAE both have them in stock. We also used them on my sons Jensen Healey, although they had a factory header and easier to work with. Wrapping the exhaust is no small pleasure either and extra set of small hands come in helpful. Lifting the engine on one side doesn't help either. The blow off valve is a bit of a hassle on the G car , again its space and the caution needed to not damage the turbo oil return to the sump. Small hands are certainly an advantage and a ample supply of bandaides. Penelope and I are blood sisters at this point. Pulling the lump is probably faster, easier and you can toss a new belt on at that time
OMT,, have ample supplies of the alcohol of your choice nearby.
carbuff, MRDANGERUS and Laser Bob like this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:42 AM

I did it on my S4s with the engine in. I couldn't install it as one piece so I installed it one tube at a time. You are going to love torquing the nuts(NOT).

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:30 PM

I just did this on the '95 s4 with engine in place.

After lots of expletives I tried another idea: here was the trick: undo the engine mount on the same side as headers, lift the engine slightly. Also pre-bolt the old manifold to the allunox to align them first, and then carefully move to the engine. It went on really easy after those two steps...
carbuff likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in