Axle Seal leak - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Axle Seal leak

I'm in what I thought were the closing stages of my major service, and while adding gearbox fluid, I have it leaking past my right-hand axle seal. Both seals are new and were installed using JAE loaner tool. Ugh!

Anybody have any experience with this? Might the seal need to soak/marinate in the gear lube to effect the seal? Or, as I still have the trunk floor out of the car, just replace the seal/roll pins. Wondering if the seal is sitting on the same surface as the prior seal and that tiny wear point is allowing the leak.

Here's a shot of what I thought was a finished exercise...but better discovering it now rather than later.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 07:24 AM
'95 S4s & '79 JPS #040

Bob,

Just recently I found my S4s with big puddle and determined it was dripping from the roll-pins not axle. But since car has 45K miles I am going to change seals. Driverside(USA) roll-pin is sitting vertically.

If you already did a recent seal change and it is the pins leaking and not dripping from where the axles exit the trans, I think you could get away with resealing the pins.

What did you use to seal the roll-pins? Mine has some blue sealant which I assume is silicone.

-Rich
'95 S4s numero uno
'79 JPS #040
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Rich:
Thanks! Did not seal the pins, but it absolutely makes sense given the they are split. I’ll give it a shot.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWeber View Post
I'm in what I thought were the closing stages of my major service, and while adding gearbox fluid, I have it leaking past my right-hand axle seal. Both seals are new and were installed using JAE loaner tool. Ugh!

Anybody have any experience with this? Might the seal need to soak/marinate in the gear lube to effect the seal? Or, as I still have the trunk floor out of the car, just replace the seal/roll pins. Wondering if the seal is sitting on the same surface as the prior seal and that tiny wear point is allowing the leak.

Here's a shot of what I thought was a finished exercise...but better discovering it now rather than later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowersrj View Post
Bob,

Just recently I found my S4s with big puddle and determined it was dripping from the roll-pins not axle. But since car has 45K miles I am going to change seals. Driverside(USA) roll-pin is sitting vertically.

If you already did a recent seal change and it is the pins leaking and not dripping from where the axles exit the trans, I think you could get away with resealing the pins.

What did you use to seal the roll-pins? Mine has some blue sealant which I assume is silicone.

-Rich
'95 S4s numero uno
'79 JPS #040

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 11:02 AM

You must seal the pins. Unsealed they will leak without fail. I use an RTF silicone which works just fine.

Tom Mieczkowski
1989 Esprit Turbo
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 11:43 AM

PLEASE don't use regular RTV. It WILL NOT stand up to contact with petroleum products. And RTV designed for contact with oil is fine.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

I’m a big HondBond and Hondabond HT fan. Best sealant around.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Yep, leaking from the right hand roll pins....I've deposited a lot of expensive RedLine MT-90 on my garage floor. However, good news is that the seal is fine. I'll let the dripping cease, clean it all up with some brake cleaner, and inject some Hondabond HT into both sides of the pins. Oddly (and I guess it was the orientation of the pins) there no leakage from the LH side.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 03:54 PM
'95 S4s & '79 JPS #040

For getting the axle off the transaxle shaft to replace the seal, which can I do?

- remove the lower shock mount and upper link and pull it out
- remove the lower shock mount and lower link and pull it out

Thanks,
flowersrj
'95 S4s ...SHF6300
'79 JPS #040

PS. Was offered some free HondaBond HT from a mechanic that over heard me mention it while in an Advanced Auto store last nite.

Last edited by flowersrj; 07-26-2018 at 07:55 AM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 07:19 AM

The upper link.

Sanj's Esprit Turbo SE pages are missing -- PM me if you need ALDL cables or Tech-1's.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Put a jackstand under the rear upright and remove both the upper link bolt and lower link/shock bolt, allowing you to easily slide the axle shaft out and inward.

Bob
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 07:58 AM
1995 Esprit S4S

I dunno man, I’m glad you found roll pins as the issue. This for me is a real finicky job and I own the special tool from lotus. I’ve replaced my axle seals 3x, the last time was two years ago and today low and behold I’ve got a leak on the right side. Fml.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wohlmeyer View Post
I dunno man, Iím glad you found roll pins as the issue. This for me is a real finicky job and I own the special tool from lotus. Iíve replaced my axle seals 3x, the last time was two years ago and today low and behold Iíve got a leak on the right side. Fml.
The seals have a ribbed area on the outside surface. The seal need be driven-in only to the point that the ribbed area is captured. Drive it further and you'll have a leak.

I have come to trust HondaBond line of sealants as the best automotive product. I keep both HondaBond and HondaBond HT around in my 'leak prevention arsenal'. It's available on Amazon, of course...

and

. Or, there's always the local Honda dealer parts department.

I use HondaBond 4 on the outside of the seal in the ribbed area before inserting, and use HondaBond HT on the case-to-seal junction once installed for insurance. You smear it on with your finger. I also use HT to seal the roll pins once installed. Ensure that you have the pins aligned correctly when you drive them in.

I've learned all this the hard way, sadly....
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 07:40 AM
'95 S4s & '79 JPS #040

I am at the point where I've removed the rollpins and waiting on parts and seal tool from JAE to arrive.

I am curious on how to remove the old seals.

Do I need to unscrew the circular side plates on the transaxle housing that surround the axles?

Or, is there some tool to aid in doing that? If so, what does it look like?

Thanks,
Rich
'95 S4s ...SHF63000
'79 JPS #040
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 07:59 AM

No, do not unscrew the differential pre load nut on the side of the trans. The seals are popped outward using a seal puller tool. Be very careful not to gouge the metal where the seal goes.

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

My Lotus Project Photo Collection
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 09:38 AM
'95 S4s & '79 JPS #040

Travis,

Does the seal removal tool look more like a steering wheel puller or a long handle steel t-shaped item with a curved sharp point on the end to slip under the seal?

Rich
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 12:01 PM

This kind works. Just be very careful not to let it gouge the metal.

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

My Lotus Project Photo Collection
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 05:21 PM
'95 S4s & '79 JPS #040

Thank Travis
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 02:18 PM
S4s

Garage
I happened to see this video which shows the tool that Travis mentioned above. www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWAmPEhE9oA

Jim S.
1995 Esprit S4s
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 04:48 PM
'95 S4s & '79 JPS #040

Watched video after the following had occurred--thanks.

It ended up that I had to remove lower link at transaxle and upper link at hub carrier.

I got one axle disconnected from trans and found blue sealant on the splines. Is that OK?

I am going to use HondaBond on the roll pins on reassembly and wondered if I should also put it on the splines or perhaps something else?

The left side CV joint is still connected and is expanding within its rubber boot as I pull. I am assuming there is suction and will need a second person to pry (lightly) on inner side of CV joint to free it from the transaxle spline tomorrow.

Also, will JAE's tool, which arrived yesterday, guarantee the correct depth for seals?

-Rich
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 06:44 AM

Putting sealant on the splines probably can't hurt anything although I don't think that's necessary. The seal setting tool has a right and left spacer. Make sure you use the correct one on the proper side. The service manual can guide you in knowing which space goes with the correct side.

Tom Mieczkowski
1989 Esprit Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in