Battery for 2004 Lotus Esprit TT - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:13 PM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beinmymirror View Post
I friend of mine whose a auto electric expert said auto batteries tend to lose about 10% of their charge per month unless driven. So I put a battery tender on all my cars.
I prefer to drive my 'toy' cars for 45 minutes, at least once a week!

Though I DO have several battery tenders for those long winter repair experiences. (Or multiple blizzards)

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:50 PM

While it is true a battery will lose it's charge slowly over time, the problem is the engine computer (ECU). Even with the key off that thing is running ALL the time. Takes a lot of electric to do that and over a period of 4 weeks (less on an old battery) you won't have enough oomph to get the motor started. To add insult to injury, now the alternator must try to recharge that battery so it has to run "full blast" to do it generating a lot of heat. If you only do short trips it means the alternator is always working hard and the battery is always chronically undercharged. A perfect recipe for a burnt out alternator and a premature battery failure. The "cure" is to use the car more often, take longer trips, or keep the battery fully charged with a battery tender. I have found that by putting a battery tender on the car for 1 day every 2 weeks and the night before I use it, The alternator never has to work hard and the battery lasts and lasts. If you see the headlight pods bounce when you start the car, the battery got too low. I dislike having it always connected, if it goes bad it can mess up the car.
David Teitelbaum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in