Best S4 Tires and Brakes Question - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Erik L

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Best S4 Tires and Brakes Question

Hello Fellow Esprit Enthusiasts,

I’m asking the following for a friend who plans to do a vintage race with his ‘95 Esprit S4.

He’s wondering what the best tires would be for the stock size wheels for both excellent traction as well as good wear characteristics. He plans to us his S4 for a vintage race at Road America later this year.

And, as he was kind enough to fulfill a lifetime dream of mine to drive an Esprit, when I drove his it seemed that the factory Brembos were very, very weak. Dangerously so, even. Perhaps that’s normal, but I expected far more stopping power than it provided.

The car had sat for some time prior to his taking ownership a couple years ago, but I fear the the weak brakes could be a major concern if used in competition, especially at Road America where he plans to run it.

Any ideas for the tires and brakes?

Anything else he should know?

Thank you much in advance!

ST8LINE LEW of MICHIGAN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:47 PM

Garage
So is he converting the car to a full race car? Stripping it out and installing a roll cage etc?

For a full race car I cant imagine how you could make it work with the ABS system on the car. I also think the brake discs are too small for serious track work even the Brembos.

Have you guys looked at the go fast parts available from the various vendors?
[email protected] likes this.

94 Esprit S4 - Silver
Previous - lots of hot rod Air Cooled 911s
[email protected]
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:51 PM

I can recommend Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, but like I ran into with my car, you have a very limited selection of tires that will fit the stock wheels. The rear is available, but the front section is 45 instead of 40. Rated best by Tire Rack and CHEAP!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:54 AM

Best S4 Tires and Brakes Question

If This is going to be a one time event…Then the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 are a good Tire for The occasional track day with excellent Street performance. But for Road America....the Michelin Pillot Sport Cup 2 are clearly the better choice.

In terms of brake pads… I have run the Carbotech Bobcat Plus brake pads with good results in my Brembo’s. But for an all out serious track day… The Brembo’s as they sit stock… Especially with the ABS limitations will not cut it. Maybe look into retrofitting it with the Willwood setup.

Also I would upgrade the brake lines with stainless steel braided lines as well as using the Motul RBF 600 racing brake fluid.

If you stay with the stock Brembo’s....I would look at least the Carbotech XP12 up to the XP24 brake pads.

https://ctbrakes.com/product-search/

Also… Check the bolts on the Motor mounts. I found that the torque side of the motor which is on the left side became a bit loose after several LOG track days.

Hope this helps
Dominick
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dominick Munofo
Lotus Ltd. Senior Advisor/Past President
1995 Norfolk Mustard Yellow Lotus Esprit S4s:

SS Cat Bypass Pipe, Micklewright Exhaust, Ram Air mod, 104 deg MOP Cam Wheel, HKS SSQV BOV, K&N Air Filter, Carbotech Race Brakes, SS Brake and Clutch Lines.

Last edited by yellow hornet; 06-20-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in