Finally getting around to finishing this up. I got the new windshield from the usual suspects, including the attaching parts. Local installer came to the house to remove the old windshield so I could complete the binnacle work.
With the windshield and binnacle cover removed, I could see a lot of problems to fix. Of course I had to repair the clock housing, thats why this venture started. There were multiple fasteners that had fallen off, and were rattling around in there. I secured everything with wire ties. I know trying to eliminate rattles and squeaks on an Esprit is a losing battle but I got rid of a bunch.
All the duct hoses run up through there, but they are not fastened to anything. You know that itching squeak sound they all make? Its those hoses rubbing against each other. I wrapped them with a towel where they go down into the dash, so I don't have the plastic hose rubbing against the dash leather. The duct hoses are now fastened securely, not just hanging loose.
Both of the vent hoses had fallen off from the inside which is why I didn't get any a/c out of the binnacle vents. I reattached those and put wire ties on to keep them tight.
I got rid of the air bag light bulb. Even though I have the 2 ohm resistor in place, the air bag light was always on.
Reinstalling the binnacle cover, I found there was a squeak between the cover and the front wood grain plastic piece. Basically any time that leather touches another surface it will eventually make a sound. I made spacers out of thin velcro (the fuzzy carpet side, not the hook side), to keep the leather from touching.
The hardest part was getting that damn bolt reinstalled. At least I know where to find it again!
If you ever have to remove the binnnacle cover, once you get the bolts off, the trick is to rotate it around toward the center of the car. You can't just spread it apart and lift over the top, thats how I broke the windshield.
Some pictures here may be useful for the next person to see what it looks like with the cover and windshield out of the way, and changes I made to secure everything. There is nothing loose now, all the pieces are wire tied to something metal.
Esprit S4s #155 of 158