Check Engine Light On- HELP - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 5Likes
  • 5 Post By DaveS4s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Check Engine Light On- HELP

Last night,I was driving home and I got a Low Coolant indicator and the Yellow check engine light. I was about 5 miles from home so I just kept going and kept my eye on the Temp gauge . The engine temps stayed in the normal range . The next morning I checked the Header tank and it was a little low , so I topped it off and started the Esprit, thinking that should do it, But NO. Both lights are still on. Espritmon gives me QD-B and Freescan gives me 26-B. I tried clearing the faults , but they come back , I all so tried disconnecting the battery, no help. I hope the Forum Guys can point me in the right direction .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 05:23 PM

The float sensor on the S4s and V8 with the plastic tank is known to stick. Clean the float. Check three wiring too.

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

My Lotus Project Photo Collection
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 06:44 PM

Take the header tank off and wash it out with hot water. Make sure the float for the sensor moves freely. When the tank is not full, the scum that floats on top gums up the sensor. Keep the header tank filled to the proper level. If it is low you have leaks and you should find and fix them.
David Teitelbaum

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

How do you clean the float? I removed it , but it's enclosed tube with the float inside. It rattles when I shake it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 06:47 AM

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Vulcan Gray , I sent a PM to Add Lightness asking how you repair the coolant switch , hope he gets back to me. Just an up date: I put the float assembly in my Ultra Sonic cleaner with soapy water for 4 minutes , dried and blow it out with shop air and reinstalled No Help. I disconnected the wires to the float switch and started the Esprit, no check engine light and no coolant telltale light. Freescan shows No Error Codes---- so I think my float valve switch is Tango Uniform.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

I just would like to thank Vulcan Gray for posting the link to the repair post by Add Lightness, and a Big Thank You to Add Lightness ( Jake 98 V8 ) for contacting me and walking me through the repair . The S4s is back on the road .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in