CitroŽn g/box Crown Wheel and Pinion - Page 12 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #221 of 227 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:20 PM

Taking a Citroen transaxle above 300hp isn't just a matter of the CWP rotation. You will also need to strengthen the housing to keep it from flexing and causing all kinds of problems with the gear stack and output housings. Not to mention additional forces due to increased braking requirements. With inboard brakes, those forces go into the gearbox far more than the suspension. When Lotus started building cars approaching 250hp, they changed gearboxes rather than trying to bandaid the Citroen.

I looked at this problem when I started FrankEnSPRIT. The idea was to put a GM injected Emme engine into an '83 Esprit, as I was expecting my '83 engine to expire due to crowned cast pistons. The deal I got on the Emme engine was far less expensive than even the parts to rebuild the '83 engine back to spec. I quickly came to the conclusion that the tires/wheels, brakes, gearbox, front suspension, cooling system, and because of brakes and gearbox, the rear suspension weren't going to be up to coping with the increase in horsepower. The solution was to build up a '91 frame with a high-torque Renault 'box and a bunch of Lotus go-faster bits from Sport 300, Sport 350 and V8 models. It's getting closer to firing up, so one of these days I will find out if I made the right choices. On a side note, that '83 engine just keeps motoring on.
Jenna'sEspritTurbo likes this.

Mike

'83 Esprit Turbo (The Fabulous Trashwagon)
'87 Esprit Turbo (FrankEnSPRIT)
'90 St Tropez Turbo
'04 Boxster S
'05 CO Elise, LSS, Touring, Hardtop, among others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 227 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
post #223 of 227 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 01:37 PM

Competition in the market place is a GOOD thing. Keeps prices down and there is always the opportunity to improve a product that we all can benefit from. Case in point, the correct orientation CR&P that Harry had made probably would not be exist if not for Mr. D's competition.

post #224 of 227 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvitesse1 View Post
Hi Tim, just got confirmation. Gear manufacturers always put mounting distance on each for wheel and pinion. For us only pinion dept is needed, so the next batch will only have that and back lash on it. First numbers are from factory and are system, batch and mating numbers. Not relevant for us.
Harry,
It just occurred to me...
All the numbers engraved on the side of the secondary shaft will be out of sight after the transaxle is assembled. In the future, any mechanic who might be working on the CWP (for instance, replacing the diff support bearings) won't be able to see the MDP (Pinion Height).

Would it make sense to also engrave the MDP for the mating pinion on the side of the crown wheel? Along with the backlash? That would put it out where it's easily visible.

I do like the clean nose on the new pinions. The OEM Citroen pinion's stamped numbers 'upset' the surrounding metal. That made it necessary to carefull pick a flat, undisturbed spot on the nose when measuring the Pinion Height. That's no longer an issue with the new pinion's clean, smooth nose.

Regards,
Tim Engel
post #225 of 227 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 11:31 PM
Premium Member

Hi Tim, is all ready done See post nr: 183

cheers,

Harry
post #226 of 227 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:57 AM

Thanks, Harry

Tim
post #227 of 227 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
So, is "50% more unbreakable" the same as being "50% more pregnant"?

Atwell,

"Unbreakable" is not an engineering term.
Actual my parts exhibit 25-30% higher tensile strength.

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 04-16-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in