2Likes
  • 1 Post By Erik L
  • 1 Post By Erik L

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
Cost of maintaining a SuperCar

I don't know how accurate and up-to-date these numbers are, but some are ridiculous.
Big difference makes the labor cost if you let a garage to wrench on your car
In comparison, Lotus does not look too bad!

https://www.car-revs-daily.com/2016/...tt-huntington/
https://carfromjapan.com/article/ind...own-a-ferrari/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRDANGERUS View Post
I don't know how accurate and up-to-date these numbers are, but some are ridiculous.
Big difference makes the labor cost if you let a garage to wrench on your car
In comparison, Lotus does not look too bad!

https://www.car-revs-daily.com/2016/...tt-huntington/
https://carfromjapan.com/article/ind...own-a-ferrari/
You can change your own oil on these cars, although purists might balk at that concept.
Same with plug changes.

The big ticket items are scary and can happen if you're unlucky, but even if a super car group that I'm part of. In 3 years I've been in that group the only car to munch an engine or gearbox was a dodge viper of all cars, and it was covered under factory recall.

One guy had his major engine out service done on his 355 which was 10K+ but in a group of over 100 people these cars seem pretty reliable. I'm sure partially due to the fact that they're not seeing a lot of miles.

Just buy a McLaren with an extended factory warranty. They're still warrantying the Mp4-12Cs even.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:52 AM

Garage
How can changing spark plugs possibly be that expensive? Some models must be engine out?

Also, that is BS on the insurance, If you buy a brand new Ferrari and finance it and insure as a daily driver the insurance will be that high. But if you buy a used 360 for instance, pay cash or non automotive loan (most do this is my understanding), then get collector insurance with reasonable agreed value coverage - with mileage limit it will be < $2000 per year. Maybe even less than $1000 per year.

If you tear up an F1 transmission though.....ouch probably $20K for a bench build.
LotusBloke likes this.

94 Esprit S4 - Silver
Previous - lots of hot rod Air Cooled 911s
[email protected]

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:35 AM

It really depends upon the specific car. I had occasion to be at a local dealer that sells Bugattis a couple of years ago and chatted with the Service Manager about the Veyron that was there to be serviced. He said the cost of a major service was $30K. The mechanic commented that an oil change took 5 hours because a portion of the body had to be removed to access the dry sump tanks and filters. They also noted that there was only one tire then available, specially made for the Veyron, at $2,500 a corner. From what I understand McLaren F1s are a similar story although the more pedestrian models are cheaper to service. Makes servicing the likes of Ferraris, Astons and Lamborghinis look almost cheap.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:42 PM

On many of the "exotic" cars ANY work involves removing the drivetrain. Like airplanes a lot of parts (very expensive parts) get changed out based on time or mileage. They want that car well maintained so when you trade it in they get a very nice, well maintained car at your expense. For example, if they see wear on one tire they will replace them all and do an alignment. Get a nail or hit a curb and it gets replaced too. They know you can't take it anywhere but a dealer because only the dealers have the special tools and computers to work on the car. The Porsche I had, when you do ANY service they hook it up to the computer, even oil changes so Porsche knows who is working on the car and what is done. You can't even reset the oil interval without hooking up to Porsche central. Their way of locking out any independent shops and keeping all of the work to the dealers.
David Teitelbaum
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:53 PM

BTW if those numbers are off-putting then I have a video for you:
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:37 PM

Garage
This guy didn't know what he had and that's his loss. "Built as a race car, first..."

False.

Furthermore, the McLaren F1 is simply the greatest automotive achievement of all time. It's a masterpiece of engineering and design. But $50,000 for new tires and only $7000 of that is for the actual rubber? Bro, you're getting scammed. Here's a much better approach to maintaining an F1, by a true aficionado who understands what he has:

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:08 AM
S4s

Garage
I'm posting a link to this article found in Automobile since it at least makes a brief mention of "Lucas" and "Esprit" which was released today.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/h...s-maintenance/

Jim S.
1995 Esprit S4s
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:24 AM

Garage
Mr Mendoza (quoted in the article) is a regular contributor here.

Thanks for posting - fun read, love to have some of those problems.

@gmendoza

Yeah i get asked all the time "Should I buy this 1997 Porsche Boxter (or other old sports car with 150K miles and no history) that is a great deal?". Most of the time I try to talk them out of it unless they have the potential to be a gear head.

Embrace the Tinker!!
DaveS4s likes this.

94 Esprit S4 - Silver
Previous - lots of hot rod Air Cooled 911s
[email protected]
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:38 PM

Typically that "great deal" looks like a great deal until you find out it needs some very expensive and hard to find parts. Or it has something bad in it's history like an accident or a Salvage Title. You can save some money if you can wrench on it yourself BUT, you always run the risk of making an expensive mistake if you aren't confident you know what you are doing. Don't forget to include some "special" tools that are usually required. A little research before you buy that "great deal" can at least warn you about what you are getting yourself into.
David Teitelbaum
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:01 PM
glb

This fellow is amusing and does a lot of this type of work:

----
Others:

DeMuro:

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:33 AM

Yep, Nice mention of Gonzo in the 'Automobile' article mentioned above (https://www.automobilemag.com/news/h...s-maintenance/).
Very cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in