The Definitive Fuel Tank Guide - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 132 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSReric View Post
Well I feel like a pillick cause I can't find it.

Anyone able to show me where with the tank installed in te car?

Thanks
You should be able to look straight up from under the car and see the sump on the passenger side of the car. In the middle of the sump, there should be a boltthat you can unscrew to dump the fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 132 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 03:35 PM

You do have to remove the undertray first...
post #43 of 132 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 04:17 PM

how does the undertray bolt on?

This is a picture just foreward of the passenger rear wheel...

And here is a closer look in the hole... it is the sump of the tank from what I can tell.

1998 Esprit V8.

post #44 of 132 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 04:22 PM

Whoops, my apologies -- there is no undertray on your car. That hole is where the drain plug at the bottom of the sump is on a 4-cylinder car...
post #45 of 132 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCam View Post
just taking an educated guess here, but I don't think it will be that significant of a difference.

Steel is approximately 3 times the weight of Aluminum, but the Boyds tanks are .125" Aluminum. The stock steel tanks are .050" Steel. Thus the Aluminum tank is 2.5 times thicker than the stocker.

The stock passenger side tank weighs 22.8# without the fuel pump assembly, sender, etc. As such, I'd expect the Boyd's tank to weigh around 19#. That's only a 3.8# difference per side....for a total of 7.6#.

I think .125" wall aluminum is pretty standard in the marine industy, but I think the NHRA only specs .090" for aluminum fuel cells. If you drop down to .090" wall AL, you'd likely drop each tank down to only 13.7#......saving a total of about 18# for both tanks over mild steel tanks.
You are correct, the difference per tank is a few pounds, I dont remember the exact number, but it was about 4-5 lbs.
post #46 of 132 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 07:55 PM

Tom, are you sure the V8's had a drain plug, I'm thinking they didn't for some reason?

Jim
1995 S4s
post #47 of 132 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus4s View Post
Tom, are you sure the V8's had a drain plug, I'm thinking they didn't for some reason?
Man... that sure would make me feel better... cause I cant find one for the life of me!

1998 Esprit V8.
post #48 of 132 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Guys, if you look at the second set of pictures on page one of this thread you will see a V8 tank with a square sump and no drain plug. I don't know the year of this tank, but I suspect it is an earlier V8.

Randy
post #49 of 132 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus4s View Post
I was thinking only of the 4 cylinder cars - don't know if the V8 tanks had plugs.

Tom Mieczkowski
1989 Esprit Turbo
post #50 of 132 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 04:50 PM

Well I'm getting mine out in the next couple of days no matter how big of a mess it will be.... So I'll let y'all know if my 98 has a drain

1998 Esprit V8.
post #51 of 132 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 06:08 PM

Garage
this may be a dumb questions but I will ask anyway, after looking at the "LOTUS ESPRIT GT1 number2 from THAILAND and How to install" thread, it made me think, could the fuel tanks be removed by cutting out a piece of the inner rear fender?

To someone with fiberglass experience it would seem easier to cut a hole replace the tanks and patch it back up..

hmmmmm.

1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit
1991 Lotus Elan M100
post #52 of 132 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonmiller View Post
this may be a dumb questions but I will ask anyway, after looking at the "LOTUS ESPRIT GT1 number2 from THAILAND and How to install" thread, it made me think, could the fuel tanks be removed by cutting out a piece of the inner rear fender?

To someone with fiberglass experience it would seem easier to cut a hole replace the tanks and patch it back up..

hmmmmm.
The passenger tank has the sump, so don't think it would fit going that way.
It might be possible with the drivers side tank, but you will need quite the hole, and likely would have to cut off the transfer elbow.

The passenger tank will come out with removing the intake plenum, the drivers side requires lowering the engine or raising the body for clearance. So it is not necessary to pull the engine to remove the tanks, it is just a lot easier with the engine out.
So compared to pulling the tanks with the engine in and pulling them by cutting a hole, I don't see any time/labor advantage to the cutting glass route. And, you end up with cut and patched wheel wells.

Our advice is to try and do a tank replacement and engine C service and clutch at the same time, thus making it worthwhile to pull the motor. Obviously a total engine overhaul should always include a tank refurbishment if not done.

Randy
post #53 of 132 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Ben Holloway

Great information in this thread guys! However, I called Boyd's and they have no idea which year models the tanks fit. Before I order them, I would like to be sure they will fit my 89 Esprit Turbo (EFI). For me and for future readers of this thread, can someone post a definitive answer on what cars they can be used in?
post #54 of 132 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 12:51 PM

The 89-95 tanks are the same for the Non-SE, SE, X180-R,S4, S4s. The part number for the 88 USA and carb turbo tanks are different, and there are also different part numbers for the NA cars.

The V8 thanks changed again.

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

My Lotus Project Photo Collection
post #55 of 132 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 12:54 PM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Grey View Post

The V8 thanks changed again.
ALL the V8 tanks, or just the later ones (99-up maybe) with only a single side filler neck and evaporative components?

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #56 of 132 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 01:27 PM

the V8 tanks were just different... They had the sender in the right hand tank, rather than the left in the SE-S4s.

Then the V8 changed tanks again to have the square well, and no filler on the right. There are actually 7 different part numbers just for the V8 fuel tanks...!

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

My Lotus Project Photo Collection
post #57 of 132 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Ben Holloway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Grey View Post
The 89-95 tanks are the same for the Non-SE, SE, X180-R,S4, S4s.
So just to be clear, the Boyd's tanks are the 89-95 ones?
post #58 of 132 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Boyd's will fit any GM injected cars including the non-SE 89.

I believe that all Stevens tanks and all V8 tanks have the same basic shape. However there are some differences in appendages and holes in the V8 and I believe the Bosch injected cars, but I haven't seen an 88 tank

Randy
post #59 of 132 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 04:11 PM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
'88 and earlier tanks (both Bosch and Carb'd) were 21 gallons total capacity VS 19+ for later 4 cylinders. They did not have fuel pumps in the tanks as the GM MPFI did.

The gauge sender is in the RH tank on Bosch cars, LH on GM cars, am I correct about that?

All 4 cyl cars had the charcoal canister and vapor plumbing over the RH tank.

(CRIMINEY! It's a LOT to remember...)

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #60 of 132 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 06:39 PM
Cal H

Thanks for the info guys. Cr*p that means I should take my tanks out while I am doing a top end rebuild. Great more work LOL. Needs to be done though. As a matter of conversation there appears to be another way to remove the tanks not covered here. It is rather an unconventional method but it appears easier from the description I have been told and I think only one person has ever done it this particular way. I have not seen this method performed in person but the tale did come from a credible source. I was thinking about possible tank removal because I got a slight wiff of gas from the bottom of the driver side tank. During breakfast with Tim Engel one Sat morning in Dec. I told him about maybe taking the tanks out because of the gas smell . We went over the various established methods including undoing the motor mount and lowering engine a tad. Then he mentioned a fellow with not much Lotus experience thinking outside of the box who told him an usual way he removed his tanks. Apparently there are only 12 fasteners that hold the body on to the frame. He removed or loosened some or all of the fasteners. I am not sure how many but enough of them to lift the rear of the body up that he was able to pull tanks out. Has anyone heard of such a thing? Is it possible the newbie Lotus mechanic has come up with an alternative way to remove the tanks?

Cal H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in