ELECTRIC ASSIST POWER STEERING for Esprit - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Seraph
  • 2 Post By MRDANGERUS
  • 1 Post By MRDANGERUS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
ELECTRIC ASSIST POWER STEERING for Esprit

I talked to Glyn Harper and he mentioned that he converted his 88 Esprit to electric assist steering. How exciting!
Add in a speed sensitive variable assistance regulator, and it makes for an amazing drive!
He used VAUXHALL CORSA EPS ELECTRIC POWER STEERING COLUMN + ECU GM 24463937, which in UK goes for £120-200, first picture.
http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/blog...steering-epas/

http://www.mantasport.co.uk/pages/corsa-eps.htm

I have assessed feasibility of using 01-03 Honda S2000 steering rack on our cars. The difference is in packaging of the electric actuator, less bulky, but more involving, see last picture.

Has anyone else performed this mod? Any pictures, details?
Attached Images

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 10-21-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 02:34 PM

I really looked at this for a while and emailed to this Lotus Esprit about it. In Denmark I think. Well sorted, been done on Esprits before. Assist drops off imperceptively above about 30 mph I believe, so it doesn't interfere with the handling of the car. I REALLY looked at this for a while and the s2000 rack too. To make the S2000 rack work would take an elecrical and mechanical engineer I decided. Know anybody Mr D.? Never pulled the trigger on the EZ because on my car the speedometer bounces below 25-30 so the electric ps wouldn't work. Have worked on the bounce half a dozen times and it's better but still there. My forearms and shoulders can use the exercise I guess. You should do it!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 02:55 PM

The only concern I'd have on earlier Esprits is the electric requirement and load parameters to the already burdened system. My 89 had an upgraded Bosch alternator and adding an amplifier and 8 inch subwoofer created load issues. I went through 4 alternators in that car. I would think the electric assisted steering would require constant power and more wiring, also straining the already minimalist system. I never had issues without power steering, except when I had surgery to repair my torn right triceps tendon, then it proved difficult t turn the wheel in parking lots with only my left hand.

2006 Onyx Black Aston Martin Vantage
1999 Azure Blue Lotus Esprit V8TT

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 06:45 AM

We have the same problem with Deloreans. There is a vendor offering a kit to convert to electric power steering and it may also be suitable for the Lotus. It isn't cheap. The other possibility is to try to put hydraulic power steering on from a newer Lotus. Probably a lot cheaper but you will have to fab up some custom bracketry for the pump. I decided it isn't worth it for my Delorean since I only use it for club events and car shows. If I drove it daily I would probably do it.
David Teitelbaum
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 02:37 PM
S4s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtB View Post
I never had issues without power steering, except when I had surgery to repair my torn right triceps tendon, then it proved difficult t turn the wheel in parking lots with only my left hand.
You don't have any problems turning your steering wheel because your arms are twice as huge as the average guy's arms.
DaveS4s and AceVentura like this.

Jim S.
1995 Esprit S4s
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtB View Post
The only concern I'd have on earlier Esprits is the electric requirement and load parameters to the already burdened system. My 89 had an upgraded Bosch alternator and adding an amplifier and 8 inch subwoofer created load issues. I went through 4 alternators in that car. I would think the electric assisted steering would require constant power and more wiring, also straining the already minimalist system. I never had issues without power steering, except when I had surgery to repair my torn right triceps tendon, then it proved difficult t turn the wheel in parking lots with only my left hand.
In anticipation of the future power demands, I have installed a modern 250 Amp alternator. Honda rack should not draw more than 30 amps (?).
Attached Images

AceVentura and greenisGood like this.

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 12-17-2017 at 07:20 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 01:52 PM

Any lighter! Loren will want to know.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 02:12 PM

Weight, expense, complexity and mucho engineering make this one a no for me.
Not difficult the way it is, itís not a Cadillac.....lol
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 02:17 PM

Garage
You can add a kit like this to any column, regardless of what rack it has. Turns tires of a stopped vehicle with one finger. Speed sensitivity also

https://www.superatv.com/polaris-ran...iABEgKAyvD_BwE

2011 Lotus Evora N/A Quartz Silver
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 04:43 PM

Anyone thinking of adding this must also consider all failure modes. It could turn out if the assist fails it is harder to turn the wheel than if you had no assist at all. Of course you may not notice any additional effort when you get that rush of Adrenaline! When installing such a device on a primary control the wiring becomes extra important. You should run a dedicated circuit to it directly from the battery and a dedicated ground. The wiring should be protected from any mechanical damage and all of the plugs pinned so they can't easily come undone. The wiring and fusing should be oversized too.
David Teitelbaum
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 09:25 PM

I would think you would have to have HUGE caster so that it wasn't too light in turns. S2000 ran like 6.45 I think.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 07:26 AM

This sure looks like a difficult fit to me.

Tom Mieczkowski
1989 Esprit Turbo
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
Since I have two Esprits, one with P/S and one without, I feel the difference. I think it is worth to upgrade! Winter project.
greenisGood likes this.

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 06-09-2018 at 06:45 PM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 05:21 AM

This was in my mail this morning, interesting! Home

An improved speed signal Šnd safety feature: GPS tracking
As you may know, our power steering systems are speed sensitive. This means the power steering gives maximum assistance at low speeds, and slowly reduces as the car goes faster. Since a classic car usually doesnít have an electronic speed signal, we place a speed sensor between the speedometer and speedometer cable to obtain it. In some cases, like the Ferrari Daytona, there is no space for the speed sensor behind the speedometer (we then fit the sensor between the gearbox/transaxle and the speedometer cable). That got us thinking, what if we could use GPS-generated speed signal?

A GPS-generated speed signal has several advantages for us as technicians. First of all, there is always enough space to fit it. Secondly, there is no extra resistance for the speedometer cable, and finally: one type fits all. Of course, it had to be as good Ė and better Ė as our current system. Thatís why we built in some safeguards: when the GPS signal is lost, for example in a tunnel, it will retain the last measured speed signal. This assures that the steering will not become lighter when this is not desired.
Another perk of using a GPS signal is that it enables car-owners to track their vehicle. After more than a year of development and testing on the road, we are proud to say that we can now offer this supplementary service: EZ Tracking. Customers who choose this extra, will get a warning on their mobile phone if their car is moved within a 20-meter radius of where it was last parked without starting the car (geo-fence) or when the battery is disconnected. The car can be followed using Google maps on a mobile device. It is also possible to get a warning if the door of the car is opened or if the car is moving faster than a pre-selected speed. To stop the car from moving, the system allows to switch off the fuel pump, ignition or power steering remotely. You even have the possibility to see your detailed route history from the last 90 days and share these nice roads with your friends!

We will provide EZ Tracking as an option on all of our power-steering kits starting this summer. For existing customers who already have an EZ Electric Power Steering kit in their car, we will offer an upgrade which allows the GPS system to be installed afterwards at any time. This upgrade and subscription will be available from September on. Each owner will get a unique login code to access the EZ Tracking platform. Some insurance companies give a discount when you use a tracking system, so itís worth checking. When you donít want to renew your tracking subscription, the GPS for the speed signal will remain active to keep the power steering working perfectly.
More information
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 07:06 PM

Garage
I read recently that the last generation MR2 (1999-2007) has electric power steering. I wonder if the parts could be purchased used cheaply and adapted
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 11:17 AM

I have seen two recently that have used the Chevy Cobalt system as it is shaft spline in/spline out, compact and easy to wire, though they were not without their recall issues

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2011-C...Model%3ACobalt

https://www.aa1car.com/library/steer...r_electric.htm
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 03:04 PM

Garage
https://lnengineering.com/products/f...-a-c-1594.html

Here is another option but you have to fit a power assist rack first and then this electric pump system.

I am sure there is a less expensive way to do what is shown here (Porsche Tax Alert!) but the installation looks shockingly simple. Amd the detailed photos kind of map it out.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 02:03 PM

Hi Erik L. I tried to find your link but have a hard time. Is there a more direct link to the power steering topic that you mentioned or maybe you could guide me to find it easier? Thanks Roger
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 02:33 AM

Garage
https://lnengineering.com/brs-electr...ly-no-a-c.html

try this

94 Esprit S4 - Silver
Previous - lots of hot rod Air Cooled 911s
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in