Emergency Touch Key Programming for Cobra 6422 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Emergency Touch Key Programming for Cobra 6422

If anyone needs additional Touch Keys for the Cobra 6422, I have the programmer to facilitate adding them.
Michael

Last edited by SirLotus; 05-21-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 04:28 AM

I bought my Esprit w/ only one working fob and no immobilizer key. Thank you Michael for fixing all that. I received 2 fobs and key; it was truly "plug and play" and my down time was really short. I reccomend Micheal for you alarm problems - he fixed me up at about 1/3 the cost of the dealer. Thanks again!
Bill T.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 12:44 PM

Hi Michael..I have a 98 V8 TT Esprit and it only has one fob, one key, and the one cobra immobilizer. Can you tell me what I need to do to secure another fob and key? Also, is the alarm that I have the Cobra 6422? I saw some instructions in another thread but I am not sure if I need to purchase some fobs and follow these instructions or is it really that simple? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Nick

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Hi Nick, I believe you do have a Cobra 6422, it is located behind the glove box for you to check. I have new remote fobs and touch keys available. As long as you have a touch key, you can program additional remote fobs into the system quite easily. Touch keys can only be programmed by using a Cobra programmer that I have, and you would have to send the 6422 to me.
Michael

Last edited by SirLotus; 06-22-2010 at 01:29 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 11:15 PM

How do I get another regular key made? Dealership?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

What do you mean by "regular key"?
Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchop View Post
How do I get another regular key made? Dealership?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViper View Post
What do you mean by "regular key"?
Michael
the key that you stick into the ignition...my car is '00
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

I have no idea, but would suggest going to a good locksmith.
Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchop View Post
the key that you stick into the ignition...my car is '00
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:17 AM

Hi Michael,

Happy holiday!

I have a 2001 Esprit. I looked under the car and it is a 6422. The car came with one fob and one touch key. I tried the touch key and it does not seem to work. Maybe I was doing it wrong.
First, the touch key does not stay in the socket, does it? I have to hold it in place in the center console to make contact.
I follow the car manual to try it. I armed the car with the fob, used the key to mechanically open the door to trigger the alarm. Then I used the touch key to make contact to the socket in the center console. Nothing happened. it did not stop the alarm and the tell tale light did not change and kept blinking. I measured the connector pin and there was 4.8V there. So I have to assume the socket was connected to the 6422 unit. Can you help?

Thank you!
Stanley
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:37 AM

Viper--is this the one you can program?
The one in the link don't have the guts only the case, where do you buy the full touch key un-programmed?
New Cobra Replacement Car Alarm Touch Key Fob Case Only - eBay (item 250745345341 end time Jan-19-11 09:55:08 PST)
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoaos View Post
Hi Michael, Happy holiday!
I have a 2001 Esprit. I looked under the car and it is a 6422. The car came with one fob and one touch key. I tried the touch key and it does not seem to work. Maybe I was doing it wrong.
First, the touch key does not stay in the socket, does it? I have to hold it in place in the center console to make contact.
I follow the car manual to try it. I armed the car with the fob, used the key to mechanically open the door to trigger the alarm. Then I used the touch key to make contact to the socket in the center console. Nothing happened. it did not stop the alarm and the tell tale light did not change and kept blinking. I measured the connector pin and there was 4.8V there. So I have to assume the socket was connected to the 6422 unit. Can you help?
Thank you! Stanley
Stanley,
The key is only meant to be touched to the receptacle and should disarm the alarm. Try it again and if it does not work you can try to reprogram it. If that fails I can reprogram the whole system.
Cheers,
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kseven View Post
Viper--is this the one you can program?
The one in the link don't have the guts only the case, where do you buy the full touch key un-programmed?
New Cobra Replacement Car Alarm Touch Key Fob Case Only - eBay (item 250745345341 end time Jan-19-11 09:55:08 PST)
I have the Touch Keys available.
Cheers,
Michael

Last edited by SirLotus; 12-28-2010 at 02:10 PM.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 02:16 PM

Hi Michael,
Thank you for the quick response. Can you tell me how I can reprogram it without a working touch key? I open the touch key and inside there is only one Dallas DS2401 in it. Right?If it fails and I have to send you the whole unit, what is the usual turn around time and cost?

Thanks!
Stanley
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 06:39 PM

It is VERY important for V-8 owners to have TWO complete sets of keys. Each set includes one of the following:

Ignition key
Touch (bypass) key
Remote fob
Tool to remove the center cap on the wheels.

If the alarm messes up the only way you are going to start the car and bypass the immobilizer is with a working touch key (and an ignition key of course!) It's a good idea to try the bypass key just to make sure it works and you know how to use it. It is also used to program the remote fobs. There is also a dead-locking feature on the door lock. Read the owner's manual to see how it all works. Lotus will tell you they cannot program touch (bypass) keys and will want to sell you a new alarm module and 2 touch keys. Theviper and Larry Marsala can sell you just the touch keys and program them to your alarm module. It requires sending them your alarm module, touch key (if you have one) and the key fobs. The car will not be drivable without the alarm module unless you bypass the immobilizer.
David Teitelbaum
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 06:46 AM

Hi Michael,
How much do you charge to program a touch key and create a new FOB if I provide you with my current FOB. Would I be able to bring my fob to you and wait to have it done?

Mike
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 07:06 AM
BANNED

Once you have the touch key, programming fobs is butt simple, so don't pay anyone to do that part.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 03:47 PM

2001 Lotus Esprit - Cobra Alarm

I just purchased a 2001 Esprit. I have one key, key fob and touch key.

I have another key fob that I want to program. Do I need the 4-digit PIN or can I do this another way?

Thanks for your help.

Mike Anderson
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 04:25 PM

Refer to post #13 and your owner's manual. The quick answer is you CAN program a key fob if you have a cylindrical bypass (touch) key. There is no PIN #.
David Teitelbaum
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 04:39 PM

David,

Thanks for the quick replay.
I have no owners manual or PIN that I received from the previous owner. It is my understanding that I need to contact a Lotus dealer to get the PIN
I have the cylindrical bypass/touch key. How do I program from touch key with no PIN?
Thanks,
Mike
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 04:42 PM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
SirLotus (Michael) has a Sticky at the top of the Esprit section. See if the links in the first post will help you with programming.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164...-alarm-104034/

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 05:40 AM

You really should try to obtain an owner's manual too. Looks like you are missing a bunch of bits. How many tops did you get and did you get the bag and deflector? You should also have a tool kit. There is no PIN.
David Teitelbaum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in