Engine(s) question. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Engine(s) question.

Does anyone know the derivation of the engines used in the Turbo SE's, circa 1991?

I know that the Elans which came out at about the same time had Isuzu engines.

I THINK Lotus still used the Ford blocks/ Cosworth prepared engines for the Esprit SE's, and with some modifications, for the S 4's and S 4 s's...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 09:59 PM

it is the Lotus 910 Chargecooled 2.2L 4cyl. It is a Lotus Engine, which may share some characteristics as a Vauxhaul engine, but it is not the same engine.

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

My Lotus Project Photo Collection
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 02:37 AM

Garage
Vulcan is spot on. Just to add a bit, the only variations in that time period would be charge cooled or non charge cooled.

Al

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I subsequenly came across a Wikipedia article which also said that the Hethel folks began making their own engines (doubt if they cast their own blocks) around 1988.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
the Hethel folks began making their own engines (doubt if they cast their own blocks) around 1988.
The 4-cyl Lotus engine was used in all Esprits from 1977 (S1 & S2 - 2.0L, type 907), S3 and Turbo (2.2L, type 910) through 1996 (S4 and S4s) and GT3 (2.0L turbo for rest of world markets). The first commercial use of the 907 engine was in the Jensen Healy roadster (and then the GT) from '72 to '76. Lotus supplied the engines to J-H for these cars. The first Lotus production car to get the 907 was the 2nd generation Lotus Elite (type 75) in 1974. It was also used in the Elite derivitives Lotus Eclat and Excel.

The 1st racing application of the engine , in '69, was in the Type 62, a purpose built race car that had a Europa "silohette" body. It was a Group 6 appendix J prototype class racer. It was designed by Martin Waide. The engine used in the type 62 was designated LV240. I am not for sure, but this early development version may have still used the Vauxhall block. (I should ask Martin about this next time I see him.)

To reduce development costs, Lotus initially used a Vauxhall block to validate the design of the cylinder head. Only after the head design was completed did they move forward with the casting of their own application specific light alloy block with slip in steel liners. The steel liners were later replaced by aluminum liners with Nikasil coating in the 80s.

As an aside, the 907 engine was the world's first mass produced DOHC 4-valve engine with a timing belt for cam drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in