The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Esprit Door Mirror Disassembly?

5K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  carbuff 
#1 ·
I would like to take the door mirrors apart to paint them and replace the glass but don't know how they come apart. I've tried gingerly pulling on the glass thinking it's just snapped into a fixture but it didn't budge. Can someone tell me how to take them apart, without breaking anything? Thanks, Lou

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Eddie. I'll take a closer look at my mirrors to see if there are a couple of small tabs that I might be able to unlatch.
I'm thinking these mirrors were on my car at one time as the paint matches the body color perfectly as do the mounting holes. If they didn't match the mirrors you have as closely as they do I'd have a little concern but the difference might be very minor. Actually I can't see any difference other then the color! Plus, my car is like the old Jonnie Cash song with parts from this car and that car so I'm staying with it's theme!
Weren't you coming down to Socal for the Formula D races in October?

#4 ·
The pedestal (at least) is different between Eddie's and yours.

The OEM mirrors were from some kind of European Ford (should be a Ford oval on yours, if original).

Many older Esprits have had their mirrors replaced...don't know if they used a different kind earlier that was *GASP* less reliable? SEARCH for pictures of S1 or S2 Esprits to verify.

#5 · (Edited)
#7 ·
> Formula D

You have good memory - could not make it this year due to other last minute commitment. But I'll likely borrow my *cough* friend's 87 for winter holidays down to San Diego. It's in the shop getting timing belt done and other daily driver work done.

#8 ·
> Formula D

You have good memory - could not make it this year due to other last minute commitment. But I'll likely borrow my *cough* friend's 87 for winter holidays down to San Diego. It's in the shop getting timing belt done and other daily driver work done.

#12 ·
On many mirrors there is a small tab just behind the glass that you rotate to unlock the glass from the motorized unit that holds it. If the mirror is heated you must be very careful with the wires and plug that connect the glass to the car after you remove the glass. Many owners add a small convex mirror to try to eliminate blind spots. Unless the glass is broken or the motorized unit needs repair, you can paint it without taking it apart.
David Teitelbaum

#13 ·
Unless the glass is broken or the motorized unit needs repair, you can paint it without taking it apart.
True, but the first picture shows that the reflective surface is deteriorating around the edges...so new glass is needed.

Heck, I'd take it to a glass place, it shouldn't cost that much to replace the mirror. I'm sure glass and windshield shops replace mirror glass all the time. :eek:

#14 ·
OK, I was able to disassemble one of the mirrors. I used a heat gun which soften the adhesive pads holding the glass onto the internal mechanism just as snowrx suggested. But now I'd like to remove the black trim that surrounds the front perimeter of the mirror head but can't figure out how. Anyone been here before and was able to remove it?
As far as having new glass made, that's an easy task as I had new glass (mirror) cut to size by a local glass & mirror shop for a 308 Ferrari I have. If I recall they charged about $8.00 for each side, but that was in 2005. The price may have jumped up to $10.00 or $15.00, still no biggy. Now, if I could just get the black trim off the mirror head...

#15 ·
Regards the black trim,

On the Ford mirrors it is unpainted plastic. UV sunlight turns the plastic grey after a number of years.

It is easy to paint the trim satin black (even without removing the glass), just mask the rest of the mirror. I did that on both mirrors of my Esprit years ago and it's holding up well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.