Esprit ENGINE TRANSPLANTS? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 181 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 08:06 PM

I find it hard to believe no one has taken a MR2 motor and drivetrain and put in a Lotus Esprit body yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 181 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 04:43 AM

A note from a rotorhead like myself. Although the 13B-REW is relatively heavy for its size, the 910 is FAR heavier! Having installed well over 30 13BREW engines in the last 13 years, they are very compact and VERY powerful! The 910 will stay in my Esprit as I am a purist, but to set the record straight, the 13BREW is a masterpiece of design and technology! With a simple EPROM upgrade, exhaust and air filter the power on the REW goes from a paltry 255 to well over 370 at the flywheel! A very potent combination! The 910 has taken me countless years of effort and expense to do the same with! I love my Esprit so don't start flinging! Just understand the merits of the Wankel!
post #23 of 181 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda11270 View Post
I find it hard to believe no one has taken a MR2 motor and drivetrain and put in a Lotus Esprit body yet.
Different layout, MR2's (all 3 generations) transverse.

And I agree ArtB, huge fan of the rotary myself, had a '91 S5 RX7 a few years back, loved it!

2012 Lotus Evora S GP Edition #14/14
1995 Lotus Esprit S4
1991 Toyota MR2
1987 Renault GTA

www.91MR2.multiply.com

post #24 of 181 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 05:41 AM

I'm late to this party but I have about a $1.05 to add. Having owned my S4 for a year now I've contemplated several times what I would do if my old red head 910 melted. I looked at the Hartley which is awesome and perfect for any Esprit (same engine as the Atom V8 BTW.) As an owner of a 5cyl Audi S4 the AAN 20v turbo would work. Audi swaps work cuz u can use the Audi transaxle. Same goes for Subaru STi 2.5 flat four turbo. These things make 500 all day when built and ton of parts support in the aftermarket. Also low C of G boxer motor=win-win.
Then there is VQ Nissan engines, (350z) compact and light and make 550 with small turbos and 700 with Gt2871rs's. This would create a trans issue but seems worth it esp if you fit a g50 box.
post #25 of 181 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtB View Post
A note from a rotorhead like myself. Although the 13B-REW is relatively heavy for its size, the 910 is FAR heavier! Having installed well over 30 13BREW engines in the last 13 years, they are very compact and VERY powerful! The 910 will stay in my Esprit as I am a purist, but to set the record straight, the 13BREW is a masterpiece of design and technology! With a simple EPROM upgrade, exhaust and air filter the power on the REW goes from a paltry 255 to well over 370 at the flywheel! A very potent combination! The 910 has taken me countless years of effort and expense to do the same with! I love my Esprit so don't start flinging! Just understand the merits of the Wankel!
Art---I like rotary too but drive me crazy & discouraged how to put my
FD3S together (after attempting a single turbo install).
I put this project aside, forgot how to get rid of the rat nest and how to bypass a mile of vacuums hoses without compromising the system.
Nasty and petrified vacuum hoses indeed.
post #26 of 181 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kseven View Post
Art---I like rotary too but drive me crazy & discouraged how to put my
FD3S together (after attempting a single turbo install).
I put this project aside, forgot how to get rid of the rat nest and how to bypass a mile of vacuums hoses without compromising the system.
Nasty and petrified vacuum hoses indeed.
YES, the FD is not for the faint of tool or technical skills. I doubt no one's ability to do general maintenance and parts installs. One misrouted vacuum hose by a novice or one unfamiliar with the ramifications of misrouting a line and the entire engine and turbo package is rendered useless. Single turbo installs on the FD are relatively simple, but compiling the parts and having them work seamlessly, especially if they are from different manufacturers. then you have fitment and sealing issues. Finally, a faulty or poor tune with a single turbo spells disaster for the engine! Unfortunately so, the FD is a phenomenal platform, but left in the wrong hands or untrained hands, they provide lackluster results and usually blown engines.... It can be done by a novice but careful planning and execution are key, some cars you can "fudge, or engineer" to work. The FD,not so well!
Artie
post #27 of 181 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 04:20 AM

Rotary engines? Engines out of Ford tauruses? Thats like tits on a bull.... a fart in a space suit... UGH!

Guys - this is blasphemus. If the 910 motor is too much for ya to take care of or deal with, I suggest a Toyota Camry or Chevy Aveo for you.

I demand this thread gets closed. There is NO other engine for the Esprit other than the one it came with. If its shot when you get it then you "man up" and rebuild it. There is no other choice. I cant and wont have it.

Please stop.

Page 65, Section LD - what ya wanna know?
post #28 of 181 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
Rotary engines? Engines out of Ford tauruses? Thats like tits on a bull.... a fart in a space suit... UGH!

Guys - this is blasphemus. If the 910 motor is too much for ya to take care of or deal with, I suggest a Toyota Camry or Chevy Aveo for you.

I demand this thread gets closed. There is NO other engine for the Esprit other than the one it came with. If its shot when you get it then you "man up" and rebuild it. There is no other choice. I cant and wont have it.

Please stop.
I am a purist Mikey! I was simply defending the common misperceptions of the Rotary engine. I leave the engines in my cars that belong in them. I don't believe in transplanting a different engine in them. I have had every engine in every car I own, rebuilt to upgraded specs to handle the rigors that I will subject them to. IN addition, the expense and engineering usually required to transplant something that doesn't belong is far more time consuming and expensive than just rebuilding the lump that came with the car!
post #29 of 181 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 07:04 AM

You are such an elitist, Mikey. The 907/910 engine is ancient technology (from the 1960's). If it's so great, why does it slant to the drivers side in our US cars?

Because it was designed for RHD use.
The 910 has more shear planes and gasket surfaces then any engine I've ever seen. Today, there are better more efficient engines out in the market place that can offer better power density (and better weight distribution, and better polar moment.)

BTW, the 20B rotary would sound awesome in any Esprit.
post #30 of 181 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 07:09 AM

Even your failing heart has an option today...so, why not believe in transplanting?
I love transplanting. I have 5 types of apple in one tree.

I learned SO MUCH stuff today because of transplanting. Of course not just some silly engine like ford or big block chevy.
Here is my Seven....I transplanted 2 types of engine before I settled for the final one. Guess what engine. One turbocharged and the final is a Rotrex supercharged
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
Here is my current project...my original Z with.....

Transplanting is EXOTIC!!!

Last edited by s2kseven; 11-10-2011 at 07:15 AM.
post #31 of 181 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 09:31 AM

I obviously recognize the F20C (which was another potential swap candidate until I was told that they aren't so strong with boost)

What is that other engine in the Seven?

I love the RB26, you should run 4wd in the Z car! That engine is heavy as hell, so not really a good choice for a Lotus.
post #32 of 181 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I am a purist Mikey! I was simply defending the common misperceptions of the Rotary engine. I leave the engines in my cars that belong in them. I don't believe in transplanting a different engine in them. I have had every engine in every car I own, rebuilt to upgraded specs to handle the rigors that I will subject them to. IN addition, the expense and engineering usually required to transplant something that doesn't belong is far more time consuming and expensive than just rebuilding the lump that came with the car!
Nah, thats cool. I always liekd the RX-7...but thats the only car Id want a rotary in

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4fun View Post
You are such an elitist, Mikey. The 907/910 engine is ancient technology (from the 1960's). If it's so great, why does it slant to the drivers side in our US cars?

Because it was designed for RHD use.
The 910 has more shear planes and gasket surfaces then any engine I've ever seen. Today, there are better more efficient engines out in the market place that can offer better power density (and better weight distribution, and better polar moment.)

BTW, the 20B rotary would sound awesome in any Esprit.
Not an elitist - a purist. Cars that were made at a certain point in time were designed with the tehcnology that was available at that time. Any internal combustion engine is acutally extremely old technology - from like the 1910's! Even so - there is something special about opening the rear hatch and seeing that stubby, left-leaning engine sitting there and it says LOTUS on it. Not Mazda. Not Ford. Nothing makes me barf faster than someone at a cruise night or whatever having a car modded with unrelated parts/engines/whatever. I hate it. It renders the car worthless and instead of an original classic they now have a back-yard project...it may as well be a kit car at that point.

Why stop there? Why do owners of 1968 Chevelles leave those clunky, pushrod V8's in the car? Why not do a swap out with a Honda Accord? Why keep a Ferrari 3.0 litre V8 engine in your 308 when you could just drop a Buick V6 in there? Its all old technology and sucks. You dont do it because it just aint right. Thats why.

Im just dumb. I find the 910 tubo engine to be extremely reliable & pleasant to own and operate(mine has 54k and is perfect). Its gets 25mpg when driven normally, makes a nice roar under full throttle, and moves the Esprit along at a brisk pace when needed. Its also quirky, rickety, and sometimes odd. I call it character and the 910 engine has loads of it!

Ill rack up 100K or more on this engine and when it eventually gets tired it'll get rebuilt with all factory parts and Ill rack up another 100K. Thats my plan and Im sticking to it!

Page 65, Section LD - what ya wanna know?

Last edited by s2mikey; 11-10-2011 at 10:35 AM.
post #33 of 181 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4fun View Post
I obviously recognize the F20C (which was another potential swap candidate until I was told that they aren't so strong with boost)

What is that other engine in the Seven?

I love the RB26, you should run 4wd in the Z car! That engine is heavy as hell, so not really a good choice for a Lotus.
When turbocharging the F20C, you will get between 325rwhp to over 500rwhp.... depend how much compression you can lower it. In my case, my seven weight just a bit over a thousand pounds, I'm getting 360rwhp on a rotrex supercharger.
The RB26 is no heavier than the stock 280z engine. The reason the RB26 is heavy is because of the 4WD transmission. I'm using the RB25 transmission not the 4WD.
post #34 of 181 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kseven View Post
When turbocharging the F20C, you will get between 325rwhp to over 500rwhp.... depend how much compression you can lower it. In my case, my seven weight just a bit over a thousand pounds, I'm getting 360rwhp on a rotrex supercharger.
The RB26 is no heavier than the stock 280z engine. The reason the RB26 is heavy is because of the 4WD transmission. I'm using the RB25 transmission not the 4WD.
What may I ask are you putting the RB into? I have a 300ZX TT with lots of mods. I've always loved the skyline. Do tell!
Artie
post #35 of 181 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 02:18 AM

Quote:
What may I ask are you putting the RB into? I have a 300ZX TT with lots of mods. I've always loved the skyline. Do tell!
Artie
In my original 1977 280z car: ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
post #36 of 181 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 04:09 AM

Sweet! I have a buddy that just sold an old 240Z that he put an RB25 in. It was a bit of a rough car, but the engine was phenomenal. I love all inline 6 turbo engines! So much potential! You have a thread on it somewhere or a cardomain? I'd love to see more!
Artie
post #37 of 181 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Sweet! I have a buddy that just sold an old 240Z that he put an RB25 in. It was a bit of a rough car, but the engine was phenomenal. I love all inline 6 turbo engines! So much potential! You have a thread on it somewhere or a cardomain? I'd love to see more!
Artie
Sorry ART no thread....Yep, I heard those straight in-line if well build can hit
1,200hp.
post #38 of 181 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
Nothing makes me barf faster than someone at a cruise night or whatever having a car modded with unrelated parts/engines/whatever. I hate it. It renders the car worthless and instead of an original classic they now have a back-yard project...it may as well be a kit car at that point.
Sooo..... How do you feel about my EFI DeLorean then?

2016 Chevy Cruze, manual
1987 Lotus Esprit Turbo HCi
2005 Elise
1981 DeLorean, manual, EFI conversion
post #39 of 181 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 02:52 PM

There is that Delorean with the Esprit TTV8 in it that belongs to Hal in Vegas.
post #40 of 181 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnis View Post
There is that Delorean with the Esprit TTV8 in it that belongs to Hal in Vegas.
Hal? I guess Robert must have sold his car then.

2016 Chevy Cruze, manual
1987 Lotus Esprit Turbo HCi
2005 Elise
1981 DeLorean, manual, EFI conversion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in