Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Seattle, Washington
Hi Fellas, quick update here.
So I finished installing the EFI and the ignition - pics from a couple weeks ago during the process.
Last Saturday it came time to try to start her up. I cranked her with the plugs out and ignition disconnected in order to build a little oil pressure then installed the plugs and hooked up the ignition. I ran the set up routine on the EFI control unit.
Now, I had taken an extreme amount of care installing the EFI and ignition systems - probably have 40-50 hours in those systems alone. Basically, had to completely disassemble the EFI mechanicals and QC the whole system - new fasteners, seals, etc. etc.
So, with all this preparation I was hoping the start up wouldn't be too problematic. To my surprise, the engine fired on the second turn of the key and settled down to a lumpy idle. I balanced the throttle body flow at idle with my air meter and then ran her through a few rpm cycles (less than 2,500 rpm). All the readings were good - AFR, water temp, inlet air temp, fuel pressure, oil pressure, etc.
After 20 minutes or so the engine smoothed out and seemed to idle and rev really, really well. I was both surprised, and impressed. With a small-ish (600 CFM) holley 4-barrel carb the engine dyno'd at 445hp and 455 ft/lb. I'm thinking EFI might have bumped those numbers up to around 475/475. Should be pretty quick. The transaxle is a strengthened audi box with LSD, so if I don't act like a total monkey with it then it should be OK to handle it. This transaxle is much stronger than a stock UN1.
I can't take the car for a drive just yet - need to bleed the clutch and a few other things (like finish hooking up the gear linkage.....). Just wanted to pass along that this Frankenlotus might actually get on the road and drive one day.