Esprit ENGINE TRANSPLANTS? - Page 8 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
C-35 Diesel transaxle

Here is an interesting tranny configuration.
Side transfer cases move output shafts forward. IMHO, it could be used with some "longer" engines, like 20a Maserati or N*.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 181 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
2.4 L Hurricane and Tigershark engines

.Worth looking at.

These engines had their genesis in the early 21st century partnership between Hyundai Motor Co., Mitsubishi Motors, and Chrysler (which was Daimler Chrysler at the time) called the World Gas Engine Project. The goal of the project was for these companies to develop better, more fuel efficient 4 cylinder engines.

The engine is part of the GME (Global Medium Engine) family;
Alfa Romeo’s version is already out. This one produces 276 horsepower, using MultiAir and two turbochargers. It has a flat torque curve of 295 lb.-ft. of torque between 2,250 – 4,500 rpm, and the turbocharger gathers exhaust from pairs of cylinders in an alternating sequence. It is very different from the Chrysler version — made in a different foundry, with a closed deck while Chrysler will, by all accounts, use an open deck.

2018 Hurricane Fours: Turbocharged (Again)

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 07-23-2017 at 07:58 PM.
post #143 of 181 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 03:52 AM
You can't make this up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanG View Post
Arnie Johnson said that his retirement project will be rebuilding Esprit engines. I recall him saying that he could do the 4 cylinder in his sleep. Apparently the V8 requires a bit more concentration. Since the car is transmission limited I don't see the point of massive power.
Transmission limited and also chassis limited, Arnie said at the LOG36 that the HP of the glass transmission V8 Esprits exceeded the chassis design. I would have Arnie build an engine for me any day. Just not the week before LOG unless of course he would be ready to help install it over night to make it on time to registration. In my honest opinion an owner can do whatever he feels like on HIS car, It is however destroying the small amount of these cars for preservation even with all the time period built in flaws. The idea of a hot powertrain is a fun thought,, and it it should just stay that way. I am not a absolute purest but do it with something that is not in collector car status. Say something like a Ford Pinto or a Chevy Cavalier.
Laser Bob likes this.

post #144 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 07:33 PM

Quick update here fellas - progress with my engine swap is slow, but steady. The 347 small block ford is properly mounted in the chassis with very strong custom engine and transaxle mounts using the stock locations. The CV's are now in also (porsche 911 axles with 930 CV's).

The engine fits in there really well and everything lines up nicely. The output shafts are in a good position relative to the hubs. The engine sits a little lower than the lotus engine did, and the overall weight of this engine and transaxle is actually slightly less than the lotus engine and citroen transaxle. So, net, the CG should be a little lower and weight is actually improved.

Now I'm working on the various systems - cooling, fuel, electrics, etc. I'll switch from carbs to 8-stack direct injection once I have all the major kinks and bugs worked out. For the time being there's lots of power - this engine as-is dyno'd at 440ft/lbs of torque and 430hp. With injection those numbers will both go above 450. The audi transaxle has been worked over pretty good with a porsche limited slip and a strengthening plate - the two main methods to strengthen these transaxles.

By the fall I should have her at least ready for some test driving. The interior is also being redone as the leather was pretty tired. 2018 will get her a new paint job at some point.

I'll keep plugging along.
Attached Images

post #145 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 03:24 AM

By the way, the Citroen C35 transaxle is a piece of crap. It was designed in the 60's for a 80hp Citroen van. It has no business in a 200+hp Lotus. The UN1 is not much better. Ditching the C35 is a favor to the Lotus brand.

While these Esprits are very nice cars, they're not ferraris or lamborghinis. They just aren't in that category. They were basically kit cars to start with. Modify away and have fun with them. Let the "preservationists" and the arm chair/turtle wax mechanics ramble on about originality and go do something unique and fun with your car.
MRDANGERUS likes this.
post #146 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
While these Esprits are very nice cars, they're not ferraris or lamborghinis. They just aren't in that category. They were basically kit cars to start with. Modify away and have fun with them. Let the "preservationists" and the arm chair/turtle wax mechanics ramble on about originality and go do something unique and fun with your car.
Pretty much all low volume auto manufacturers, and not just the British, took parts from the global parts bins to make their cars. TVR, Morgan, Iso, and even Jaguar and Aston Martin had a mish mash of parts. Not all chose the absolute best available option either - for a variety of reasons not always related to cost (think Chrysler killing the Tiger because only the Ford engine would fit). I tend to be a preservationist but applaud those who choose to "update" their cars - both because I find well thought out mods interesting and also because it makes my original car more unique. Compare what's happening with the Esprit to what's happened with the Pantera. These days most Pantaras are modified, some slightly, some heavily, and the few remaining original, unmolested cars are in high demand. So too are the modified cars for the right buyers, although the highly modified cars seem to trade in a thinner market. Are the mods generally improvements? You bet. Did the stock Pantera have design issues that begged to be corrected? Absolutely. Just like our Esprits. So nothing wrong with modifications in my book, even major ones. However, based on what we've seen happen with the Pantera don't expect to get paid back for your modifications, except in terms of fun and enjoyment along the way, and that's OK by me. Mod away, have fun doing it and please do share, but I'll be enjoying my car just as it came from the factory, warts and all.
Gallagher likes this.
post #147 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 03:43 PM

The Esprit isn't in the same category of collectability as ferrari or lamborghini...... or a pantera. That why you can still buy an esprit for $10-20K whereas a pantera starts at 3-4 times that. Sorry, it's not comparable in the least.

And besides, the pantera came with decent mechanicals that worked reliably, right off the showroom floor, including a proper ZF transaxle. The lotus didn't - the Citroen transaxle being the most glaring shortcoming.

That's great you enjoy your original car and find pleasure in it's originality. Happy to help "prop up" the value of your original car with my moded car. I personally have absolutely no concern about market or resale value.
post #148 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 06:59 PM

I never suggested that the Esprit is/was as collectible as the Italian exotics, it obviously isn't. The Pantera example was to illustrate how modding a significant portion of a surviving population of a car model can make originals relatively more collectible, not to equate the value of the two. By the way, the original Pantera was not without some serious design and build issues: like overheating, electrical problems and rust, amongst others. I know because my Uncle was a LM dealer and frequently griped about what a headache they were, even when new. As to values, I don't think any realistic Esprit owner is expecting a profit, the cost of maintenance alone will make sure that never happens. It's all about the fun, whatever way you find it. Mod on!
carbuff and greenisGood like this.
post #149 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 07:55 PM

It's really hard for me to understand why someone who OWNS an Esprit is so intent on running them down? I've done my share of mods and quite frankly did my homework before buying my car. Considered Pantera, considered Porsche, never considered Ferrari. Ferrari's are typically not driven, just bragged about. I wanted a car that I could drive and afford parts and have fun doing it. A car that wouldn't or hadn't rotted out, (so Pantera was out).Something plastic with a galvanized chassis would be good like an Esprit. Something I could a fix myself.
One of my daughters saw me in traffic in the rain driving my car, called me on her cell and said "you're driving the Lotus in the rain?" I said "it's just a car!"
mieczkow likes this.
post #150 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 12:48 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenisGood View Post
One of my daughters saw me in traffic in the rain driving my car, called me on her cell and said "you're driving the Lotus in the rain?" I said "it's just a car!"
We looked at a couple Panteras before shopping our Esprit. Rust WAS an issue!!!

I don't mind driving my Esprit in the rain. Now, when I owned a Morgan, you had to think twice...with those cars, 'weather protection' was a relative term, for sure!

And, I have a sign that I put on my dash at car shows: "Go ahead, touch it, IT'S ONLY A CAR!"

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #151 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 04:48 AM

While I'm more of a purist with my car, I don't have a problem with those that mod their car. Basically, what they do to their car is NOMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
I have a sign that I put on my dash at car shows: "Go ahead, touch it, IT'S ONLY A CAR!"
I'll respectfully argue with you on that point. I own one of only 712 Esprits that were imported into the US 30+ years ago, so it's more than only a car.

I take mine to a fair number of car shows. I enjoy seeing people's faces light up when they see the car and the most common comments I get are "this was my favorite car when I was growing up" and "this is the first time I've ever actually seen one", and "this is the car I drive in my online game". The Esprit isn't only a car- it's a special car

I have a few do not touch signs that I don't use, however I don't encourage dirty hand prints & smudges either. I try to stay close to the car to field questions and if someone displays an interest or knowledge in the car, I might let them sit in it.

Most car show people are respectful, but as with every other group there are exceptions. I've personally seen people open the door and climb in; lean on the car to pose for a picture, and a member of my local club has a picture of a little kid doing a pull-up on the drivers window glass of his car.
Attached Images

carbuff likes this.

DD- '97 Ford E350 diesel van
Toy- '83 Esprit
post #152 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 08:04 AM
Onlooker

How did this thread become about the rain? My lotus is getting snows and a winter time lift. So....

The Cosmo motor is like gold here. It is also illegal to do swaps and road them or I would have bought a frame, shell and a 1uzFE or any FE engine as it has an assortment pf parts available including a flat plane at a much beefier displacment than the lotus and There are 1000 h.p. documented Daily drivers out there. I got the luxury to drive a few FE's in their near stock or stock form. Wow. Not a lick of torque but the H.p. was there.

Now if were talking money is no object. A smashed r8 V10 with DSG. I have a DSG car and its delievery is smooth great for racing low CG and. You can still shift it. I would also transplant the rear suspension and toss the steel frame for aluminum.

In retrospect I JUST realised I could have bought an R8 and the esprit clam and made the frame then registered it as an R8 for the same I spent on mine.... DOH! Also here in japan 2.2L is cheap were taxed by displacement.
post #153 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
post #154 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 10:28 AM

My bad. I apologize

MrD. >> << me

DD- '97 Ford E350 diesel van
Toy- '83 Esprit
post #155 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 12:06 PM

Yeah, how about we get back to the OP's intent of the thread: what YOU are DOING to MODIFY your Esprit.

The next phase of my engine transplant will include moving the previously inboard brakes to the outboard position. Has anyone any experience with this before? I could:

1. engineer some caliper mounts on the rearward side (not enough room on the forward side) with bolting/welding appropriate mounts to the existing hub. Fully aware this is a critical safety area, so any engineering and modification will reflect that.

2. switch to newer Esprit rear uprights with mounting ears for the calipers. Or,

3. some third option I haven't thought of yet.

I've seen the modificaitons Hilly did to accomplish the same end goal and that looks reasonably workable. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
post #156 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
post #157 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
How about this guys and gals? But, with all the accoutrements it is a huge lump.

Northstar Cadillac Engine Buildup Question - Hot Rod Network

Northstar Performance - Engine Reconditioning

~*~*~
The third stage in the Northstar’s evolution introduced variable valve timing (VVT) on the rear- and all-wheel-drive XLR starting in 2004. VVT has not been used on transverse, FWD Northstars due to packaging constraints. The longitudinally mounted, normally aspirated LH2 is rated at 320 hp and 315 lb-ft. There was also a 9.0:1 LC3 4.4L supercharged Northstar with VVT introduced in 2006 (STS-V, 469 hp/439 lb-ft; SLR-V, 443 hp/414 lb-ft).

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 08-17-2017 at 12:29 PM.
post #158 of 181 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 11:53 AM

Quick update here on progress......basically, slllooooowwww.

Building the stainless exhaust system now. 2.5" heavy gauge 304 stainless, magnaflow x-pipe muffler. Welded up a very nice 304 stainless support structure mounted to the transaxle.

Trying to get some length into the system hence the 180 bends and such. Tacking it together with MIG welded 309L. Will either finish TIG it myself or take it to my local welding shop if I'm stretched for time.

I think it'll probably be pretty loud, but what the heck, it's a sports car right?
Attached Images

post #159 of 181 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 08:45 PM

Hi Fellas, quick update here.

So I finished installing the EFI and the ignition - pics from a couple weeks ago during the process.

Last Saturday it came time to try to start her up. I cranked her with the plugs out and ignition disconnected in order to build a little oil pressure then installed the plugs and hooked up the ignition. I ran the set up routine on the EFI control unit.

Now, I had taken an extreme amount of care installing the EFI and ignition systems - probably have 40-50 hours in those systems alone. Basically, had to completely disassemble the EFI mechanicals and QC the whole system - new fasteners, seals, etc. etc.

So, with all this preparation I was hoping the start up wouldn't be too problematic. To my surprise, the engine fired on the second turn of the key and settled down to a lumpy idle. I balanced the throttle body flow at idle with my air meter and then ran her through a few rpm cycles (less than 2,500 rpm). All the readings were good - AFR, water temp, inlet air temp, fuel pressure, oil pressure, etc.

After 20 minutes or so the engine smoothed out and seemed to idle and rev really, really well. I was both surprised, and impressed. With a small-ish (600 CFM) holley 4-barrel carb the engine dyno'd at 445hp and 455 ft/lb. I'm thinking EFI might have bumped those numbers up to around 475/475. Should be pretty quick. The transaxle is a strengthened audi box with LSD, so if I don't act like a total monkey with it then it should be OK to handle it. This transaxle is much stronger than a stock UN1.

I can't take the car for a drive just yet - need to bleed the clutch and a few other things (like finish hooking up the gear linkage.....). Just wanted to pass along that this Frankenlotus might actually get on the road and drive one day.
Attached Images

MRDANGERUS and greenisGood like this.
post #160 of 181 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 05:16 AM

That's really an impressive car. Congratulations on bringing the project to this stage. Are you concerned about the engine breathing once you reinstall the rear hatch?

Tom Mieczkowski
1989 Esprit Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in