Esprit head unit replacement - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Esprit head unit replacement

I'm set to pick up my first Esprit (a 2001) in a few weeks, and one of the few mods I'm toying with is replacing the head unit with a screen that can accomodate a backup camera. I've seen a few for sale recently with this mod --- see the pic below as one example. I'm sure this is harder than it looks, as it requires moving the air controls and switches down a bit to accommodate the size of the unit. Has anyone on the forums done this sort of mod? Any helpful info would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:16 PM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
@JennasEspritTurbo put a backup camera on an '83.

Have you talked to an auto stereo shop? An alternative might be to install a head unit with a retractable screen. You could specify what features you want.

We have a good auto sound guy here in north NJ that owns a V8 Esprit. (Par-Troy Audio in Newton, NJ)

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:34 PM
Integrator

Garage

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:25 PM
Scott M

Related question... Any suggestions on how to shop for a simple, direct swap replacement for the OE Alpine unit in my 2003 Esprit? Mine has consistently had issues which seem related to the connection of the detachable face plate.

The usual searching on LT and outside produced only unrelated results when I tried (again) moments ago. Thx!

'03 Lotus Esprit
'17 Ford Focus RS
'13 Subaru BRZ
'11 BMW X5M
'06 BMW M Roadster
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:15 PM

Call Crutchfield.com They sell all kinds of audio stuff and they specialize in auto.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:22 PM
Dreaded Prior Owner

Seems like someone just posted a detailed double DIN console frame mod in the last month or so, but I can't find it. Maybe it was on TheLotusForums. Minor welding to relocate heater controls if I recall correctly.

Esprit ICE Installation

1985 BRG Turbo Esprit
Chargecooled w/Megasquirt EFI
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:52 AM

Esprit head unit replacement

I would look into those license plate frames with the backup camera built in. Buddy of mine installed one and it took him no time at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dominick Munofo
Lotus Ltd. Senior Advisor/Past President
1995 Norfolk Mustard Yellow Lotus Esprit S4s:

SS Cat Bypass Pipe, Micklewright Exhaust, Ram Air mod, 104 deg MOP Cam Wheel, HKS SSQV BOV, K&N Air Filter, Carbotech Race Brakes, SS Brake and Clutch Lines.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:41 PM
Scott M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrealty View Post
Call Crutchfield.com They sell all kinds of audio stuff and they specialize in auto.
No dice.
The knowledge of Esprit by their customer service team mirrors that of their manufacturer drop-down list: nothing there.
She suggested I take it to a custom car audio place although that is not going to happen.

'03 Lotus Esprit
'17 Ford Focus RS
'13 Subaru BRZ
'11 BMW X5M
'06 BMW M Roadster
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:27 PM
Dreaded Prior Owner

Later model double DIN fabrication-
https://www.thelotusforums.com/forum...comment-765362

1985 BRG Turbo Esprit
Chargecooled w/Megasquirt EFI
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:30 PM

Even if they can't give you specific installation advice, they can help you decide what equipment to buy to do what you want. Installation is going to be up to you (or a custom shop).
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:01 AM

Yes, unfortunately this is not a simple mod on the Esprit (just like many other things), they made this much harder than it needed to be. I've replaced a dozen car stereos in my life but am actual scared to start this project on my own 1997 V8. The heating controls are welded to a frame, so first you need break those spot welds, move the heating controls to the desired location, and then spot weld it back into place. Also, the space taken up by a double-DIN head unit and heating controls does not take up the entire frame, so then you also need to fabricate some type of cover for the remaining opening. My plan is to take it to a professional installer (as recommended above) and have them do the labor. Also, for the cover that needs to be fabricated, I want them to integrate the three input ports for my headunit (2 USB and 1 HDMI) into this cover, so I don't have wires coming out of the dash or footwells.

Regarding what headunit to select, I've used the Pioneer AVH-NEX series in 2 vehicles so far (specifically the 4200NEX) and love them. Has Apple CarPlay and/or Android control, Pandora, HDMI input, backup camera input, satellite radio, Bluetooth, etc. Nice screen that's easy to see except in very direct sunlight (i.e. if sun is setting directly behind you). Have one car using it with an amp (GM Bose system with subwoofer) and one without an amp but headunit power is adequate to give decent sound. There is a newer version with wireless Apple CarPlay but I don't have experience with that model, and I don't mind the wired version because I want to charge the phone anyway as GPS and Pandora drains the battery quickly. Always purchased thru Crutchfield as their prices are usually better than the local big box stores.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:22 AM

I have installed a Boss head unit with a backup camera using a license plate surround camera. Boss is one of the few single DIN units with a decent screen. It certainly is adequate for the backup function - good viewing for functional purposes. Probably be a bit of a stretch to watch video on it though.

Tom Mieczkowski
1989 Esprit Turbo
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:06 AM

Pioneer just came out with a unit that has a remote touch screen so now you don't need a din or double din to install a head unit. The control unit can be hidden and the screen can be anywhere convenient.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:39 AM

If you are good with radio installs itís pretty easy to do.

Esprit S4
BMW 850I
BMW 850CSI
BMW M5 Sold
MB CLS
Corvette ZR1
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:51 AM

Did you just cover up the open gap with a new surround? Is that fabric or a hard material like plastic?
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:04 AM

It is metal wrapped with a carbon wrap

Esprit S4
BMW 850I
BMW 850CSI
BMW M5 Sold
MB CLS
Corvette ZR1
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:37 AM

Carbon surround

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8nightman View Post
It is metal wrapped with a carbon wrap
That looks fantastic, did you have that custom made, or is there a store link that you can share? Would love to get one. Even if custom made, I would pay whoever made it to make one for me.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:39 AM

It was custom made I donít think I will be removing it anytime soon to make another one.

Esprit S4
BMW 850I
BMW 850CSI
BMW M5 Sold
MB CLS
Corvette ZR1
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:40 PM

I just finished replacing all the dash leather in my 2001. So decided to upgrade the stereo to provide a backup camera. I used a Pioneer AVH-3500NEX from Crutchfield. I first tried an Alpine Halo, it would not allow access to controls. Crutchfield took it back, for a full refund.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in