Essex Esprit at a USA cars and coffee.... - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Essex Esprit at a USA cars and coffee....

Saw this on the Tube and wanted to share. You aint gonna see one of these anywhere in the near future. Unbelievable.

Page 65, Section LD - what ya wanna know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 02:56 PM

Awesome! Love that interior. The whole wedge design is really incredible.

1969 Lotus Elan
1968 BMW 1600

Livin' life in the '60's ;-)
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 03:48 PM

Garage
There some photos of that car in one of the threads. I think it was a cars and coffee thread in VA. Very unusual car in the US, there must be only 1 or 2 here. In 1980 that car was $52K fob the UK and was illegal here. As you know the Turbo appeared in the US for the first time in 1983...
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 04:14 PM

That particular car was owned for a number of years by a guy in the area well known to PALS and DC Lotus Ltd members. He'd bring the car every year to Kevin McGovern's Lotus picnic.

Sold it a couple of years ago to another local guy, who also owns a Stevens body 4 cylinder Esprit.

I've heard the current owner say his research has turned up 3 of the cars in the US, and to his knowledge his (this one) is the only one actually running and on the road.

One of its more unique features is that it has a dry sump.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 04:39 PM

I don't know about the "actual " number of Essex cars out there but I do know the one featured in Hemmings {which is disputed to be a real one} now lives down in Florida sold from the owner whom owned it for many years in Maryland. That would explain the Washington D.C. sightings.
I have an Essex also, 1:18 Auto Art die-cast model
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type82 View Post
I don't know about the "actual " number of Essex cars out there but I do know the one featured in Hemmings {which is disputed to be a real one} now lives down in Florida sold from the owner whom owned it for many years in Maryland. That would explain the Washington D.C. sightings.
I have an Essex also, 1:18 Auto Art die-cast model
The one in the video currently resides in the VA/DC region, it also belonged to a man who owned it for many years...he either lived in MD or in Philly area, as I recall. This one is the real deal. The first time I saw it was at LOG 12 in Leesburg VA, and have the panoramic shot of the field from that event, and the Essex is in the shot.

Again, one way to tell the Essex, along with checking the VIN plate for year of manufacture and I believe an Essex plate, is if the engine has a dry sump. It would be a thorough replicar builder indeed that would go so far as to install a dry sump for the sake of authenticity.

No dry sump? Not an actual Essex.

The video is recent, taken at a Saturday Katie's Cars and Coffee in Great Falls, Va. The owner shows up at most of the MD/VA/PA British Car Shows and Lotus events, with someone driving his other Esprit to the show as well.

Actually, I believe the owner is a member here and has posted, albeit not very often.

Check this Katie's Cars and Coffee Thread that Bob Collum maintains here. Post # 47 has a picture of this car, likely at the event in the YouTube. Taken by Bob after the owner had backed into his spot.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f113...04/index3.html

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe

Last edited by 4380r; 04-06-2011 at 06:12 PM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 06:34 PM

Cool car, even if most people do not know what it is.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 07:20 PM

glad i got to see this in real life, clean car
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusforsale View Post

One of its more unique features is that it has a dry sump.
Is that why the guy said in the video that he has to check the oil within two mintues of shutting it down? When I heard that, I had to re-think what my owners manual said regarding checking the oil and for a second there I was like "Oh man..."!

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 01:14 PM

Not to hijack this thread but Esprits with red interior are very rare. I own an '87 black/red which according to an old ebay ad from 2004 one poped up for sale #60975 which was owned by a former Lotus dealer and the auction said there were only two black/red '87 Esprits made. Frank from Sports Car World published a list of all Lotus Esprits made with build information according to vin #'s and the information is correct, there are only two black/red '87's in the US. #60975 lives in Alanta, GA {originally from California} and #60919 {mine} resides in Becket, MA.

My car has a unique feature, the bonnet has two slots for the fresh air vent instead of the "regular" six holes. To my knowledge there are five others out there like this that I know of... King Hussian of Jordan had an '87 for sale at Stratton Motor Cars near Hethel, UK {I wanted that so BAD!} ... one I saw on eBay for sale from Symbolic Motors, LEW owner, and s2Mikey's. I think these cars were made on a Friday after lunch... Clive slipped with the saw making the six holes. To this day of 10 years I have not found an answer why these bonnets are created like this. There was a post on the Lotus Forums about it.
The Auto Art die-cast models 1:18 are made with two slot bonnets and the Type 82 1:43 models have the two slot, the Type 79 have the six hole.

Last edited by Type82; 04-07-2011 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Information
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 06:47 PM

Hey guys! I'm the guy who filmed that video! Hahaha I'm glad you guys like it, I have photos of it as well. I'll post them on Flickr or on the 6Speed forums which is where most of Great Falls, Cars & Coffee stuff is posted. I'm uploading April 30 on YouTube soon which had a Ferrari F40, Ferrari Daytona, and a heck of a lot more. (No Essex though) but it's a great event. I feel VERY fortunate to have captured that piece of history (and in HD too). Glad to be apart of the Essex's image in history! Be sure to check out my channel. Who knows, he might come back.....

Last edited by DownShiftRecords; 05-05-2011 at 07:00 PM.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type82 View Post
N
My car has a unique feature, the bonnet has two slots for the fresh air vent instead of the "regular" six holes. To my knowledge there are five others out there like this that I know of... King Hussian of Jordan had an '87 for sale at Stratton Motor Cars near Hethel, UK {I wanted that so BAD!} ... one I saw on eBay for sale from Symbolic Motors, LEW owner, and s2Mikey's. I think these cars were made on a Friday after lunch... Clive slipped with the saw making the six holes. To this day of 10 years I have not found an answer why these bonnets are created like this.
Yep - I dont think there is an answer, Robert. Im thinkiing of making up some "old wives tale" about how the two-slots versions of the HC cars had an extra 10 horsepower due to increased airflow to the turbo or some other BS. They only made a few because Chapman was afarid they'd be too heavy compared to the smaller six-slot versions.

hehehehehehe

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 07:10 PM

Thanks for posting this to YouTube, DownShiftRecords!
I had no idea ANY of the Essex cars were available in LHD.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownShiftRecords View Post
Hey guys! I'm the guy who filmed that video! Hahaha I'm glad you guys like it, I have photos of it as well. I'll post them on Flickr or on the 6Speed forums which is where most of Great Falls, Cars & Coffee stuff is posted. I'm uploading April 30 on YouTube soon which had a Ferrari F40, Ferrari Daytona, and a heck of a lot more. (No Essex though) but it's a great event. I feel VERY fortunate to have captured that piece of history (and in HD too). Glad to be apart of the Essex's image in history! Be sure to check out my channel. Who knows, he might come back.....
Great job - Keep up the good work and videos. I like how your videos show the cars & let us hear them. Too many of these videos have obnoxious music or they spend too much time "screwing around".

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
Yep - I dont think there is an answer, Robert. Im thinkiing of making up some "old wives tale" about how the two-slots versions of the HC cars had an extra 10 horsepower due to increased airflow to the turbo or some other BS. They only made a few because Chapman was afarid they'd be too heavy compared to the smaller six-slot versions.

hehehehehehe
"Old wives tale?" Mine is Clive, Simon, or who ever came back from lunch after a couple of pints and slipped with the saw cutting the six holes I'll just make some more like this and no one will ever notice
That was only a joke, the bonnets are made through a mold process but why they came out like that is a mystery. Time to call the Scooby squad Too heavy Mike? There is less fiberglass, added lightness, our cars are a 1/8 faster than the six hole bonnets

I'm going to ask RP if he knows, it's worth a shot.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 04:57 PM

Thumbs up Essex Esprit in 2004 AutoWeek

I was going through my old AutoWeek mags (doesn't everyone else do this on their days off?) and found this. Had to share!
Attached Images

Last edited by 04ESPRIT; 05-24-2011 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Reduced image size!
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 11:52 AM

I know this thread is old but I found this tid-bit:

"45 Essex Esprits were built, followed by a number of non Essex-liveried but otherwise identical specification dry-sump turbo cars. Two Essex-spec Turbo Esprits - one in white and the other in copper - were featured in the James Bond film For Your Eyes Only (1981), although these were scripted as the same vehicle; the white one was blown up by an anti-burglar explosion system in Spain, while the red one was a "rebuild" of the original."

Anyone know how many were made for the US? I would assume most of them have the steering column on the wrong side
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 01:15 PM
BANNED

None of them were made for the US. Some showed up here though.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 04:52 AM

This Esprit is owned by an old friend...he also has a '91 SE...

2012 Lotus Evora S GP Edition #14/14
1995 Lotus Esprit S4
1991 Toyota MR2
1987 Renault GTA

www.91MR2.multiply.com
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 05:46 AM
Have you GYLO'd?

Essex Esprit

Yep - Tom's Essex is awesome. Here are some pics I took of it at a car show this past summer. He also brought it to our Fall GYLO event.

--Bob Collum
Attached Images

Northern Virginia Lotus Club. Contact me to get on the mailing list!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in