Fitting newer parts on a 1988 Esprit - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Fitting newer parts on a 1988 Esprit

Sorry if this has been asked a million times here before, I did a search and it provided everything but what I was looking for.

I'm looking at 1988 Esprit Turbo and since it needs a full repaint anyways, I thought about getting the SE front spoiler and driving lights, it looks separate from the bumper cover itself in pics, and also the matching rocker panels. I'd also be putting some newer larger wheels and tires on it, I'm wondering about the offset of the 88's with the inboard brakes. I'm guessing someone already makes spacers to mount 89+ wheels on there, but if not, it's something I could have made.

That's it for now, just in the planning stages but want to have some info ready when this is a go. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 12:51 PM

The SE has 2 oil coolers in the front, one on each side, that are fed by those openings.
The 88 has one center mounted oil cooler.

If you put an SE front end on the 88, then you'll be able to see the ground through those openings....

I suppose you could blank them off or turn them into brake cooling ducts.

Yes, you will need spacers for the rear wheels at least, or custom offset wheels.

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

My Lotus Project Photo Collection
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 01:06 PM

Garage
I converted my 1989 non-SE (same as your front) to a complete S4 layout, and what fun job THAT was!.
The lower front valence is separate from the bumper. Compared to the 89 SE, the whole underside front of the car is different from yours because of the SEs oil coolers and ductwork.
If you want the complete SE transformation, it will be a pricey deal, unless you can find a rear ended SE for parts.
You could just pop (a gross simplification) on the SE lower valence 'tho, just just have to figure out a way to support the lower extremities properly. Some people seem to have problems finding the fog lamps.....
Your rear wheel offset is -20mm and the SEs is +30mm, which is 2 inches.
Both PUKEsprit and Ramspott & Brandt have 35mm spacers, so it doesn't quite get there.
If you go to the full 50mm, I can't see it bothering the wheel bearings any.
Here's my -89. It needs a paint job too!
I have a set of OZ Novas for it but didn't like the way it steered, so I put on a set of SE wheels.
Attached Images

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, great info. I'm thinking I would just do the valance, I can either make bracketry to support any pieces and make ducting, or maybe switch to a dual setrab cooler setup like the SE's. And a 2" spacer, that wouldn't be too hard to fab up. I have a few friends with bridgeports, I could put together a quick cad of it and have them made. My favorite wheels are the ones on Vulcan Grey's car, in fact your car is pretty much what I have in my mind's eye already, I better pick another color though, don't want to copy another car too closely.

BTW, Vulcan, thanks for the the web album you have. I just spent the last hour looking through the engine rebuild, clutch job and other projects you did on it. I've done every single thing on my 600 whp Eclipse GSX except build the tranny and surprisingly, the Lotus engines don't look as daunting to work on as I might have thought when thinking of Renault engineering. And the tranny looks like it would be extremely easy to do new synchros on, that split case opens up easily unless the '88 is vastly different. Looking through those pics answered most of my questions and gets me pretty excited about tinkering with it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 08:56 AM

Thanks, glad you like my photos. I still need to add descriptions to all of the pictures...again... (I just rebuilt my site on Google, as my old site on a friend's server kept going down).

And yes, your 88 does have a different Citroen-Maserati transmission.

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

My Lotus Project Photo Collection
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 09:01 AM

I purchased a complete V8 conversion kit from SJ Sportscars. I started to mount the V8 front bumper. After, I looking at the modifications needed and I determined it was not worth the effort. I sold the conversion kit to Guy Theriens for his 97 project.

I ended up purchase a 97 V8 a couple year later.

Cheers,
Alan
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Can I ask what a ballpark figure is for a the V8 body conversion? They aren't exactly popping up all over the place.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 06:02 PM

The paid about $2500 with shipping and customs fees for fiberglass (front bumper, front spoiler, rear spoiler, rear bumper, wheel arcs, and sills) and a number small bits including driving lights.

If you have a car that is in need of paint it might well be worth considering.

Cheers,
Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in