G-car Spare Wheel over Hi-Spec 4pots? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
You guys are pessimists. Your header tanks are ALWAYS half-empty, I bet. (Mine is always half-full!)

I always have a plan B for nearly everything I do in life.

Not pessimistic - ‘overly cautious ‘

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 03:42 PM

i bought this to fit on my SE with big brake kit and put on 125/70 tire. I haven't driven on it but have (and still am) rolling the car around with it.
it fits in the spare tire location though I had to make my own storage retaining stud thingy
it's not hub-centric but will probably do the job it is supposed to

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-OEM-e...frcectupt=true
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Dreaded Prior Owner

Isn't the Volvo a 5 x 108mm bolt circle?

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 06:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrx View Post
Isn't the Volvo a 5 x 108mm bolt circle?

Yes. He may not realize a Stevens Esprit SE 5x108 PCD is different than Giugiaro Esprit 5x120 PCD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 07:34 PM

indeed that is why I indicated my SE. the idea is that you may consider something similar like an E36. cheers

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E36-99-...wAAOSwFAtcSoGv
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingfool35 View Post
indeed that is why I indicated my SE. the idea is that you may consider something similar like an E36. cheers

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E36-99-...wAAOSwFAtcSoGv
For Giugiaro Esprit, this wheel would not work (it's 17x7.5 - too wide to fit in front trunk).

I tried to use a BMW E30 'bottlecap' wheel - it was 14x6 5x120 PCD and I got a 175/70-14 tire for a 'real' tire/wheel assembly. This would have been perfect spare for long range use if needed.

On paper, this should have fit, but it did not; the 6" wheel width ballooned the sidewall out just enough prevent fitment in the trunk. A 175mm tire is 6.8" wide - on a 6" wheel it apparently got stretched. Same tire on the steel OEM wheel (estimated 5" width) fits fine.

I removed the tire and put it back on the steel OEM spare wheel. My original plan was to keep the original spare tire/wheel assembly (31 years old) intact. But it didn't work.

The original tire I kept for originality in case I ever sold the car.

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'

Last edited by sleekgt; 04-05-2019 at 10:34 PM.
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 05:26 PM
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mieczkow View Post
Bob, I am in the same situation as you regarding spare fitment. I have the same HySpec brake calipers on the front and have never dealt with the spare issue. I will carry a can of tire seal and I do carry a tire plug kit but I would rather not have to go that route if possible. If you come up with a solution please keep me in mind. If you go the route of machining a spacer I would gladly throw my hat in the ring if you get an additional one made for me - of course I would pay and reimburse you for your time and effort.

Tom Mieczkowski
Tom:
I'll get around to testing the spare this evening. I already have H&R 20mm spacers all around on my car (primarily for aesthetics as the tire/wheel combo fill the wheel openings) and I'm curious if the spare will work with the spacers fitted. If it does, you may well only need to secure a presently available spacer to accommodate the spare. Stay tuned, I'll report back.

Bob

PS: I might as well bury this one here rather than initiate a new thread, but my car began to leak coolant and I went through the process of checking every possible clamp/hose/fitting. Turns out that the short hose from the water pump to intake was the culprit....actually I was the culprit as I never tightened the clamp on the intake. Total DUHHH moment.
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:13 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWeber View Post
Turns out that the short hose from the water pump to intake was the culprit....actually I was the culprit as I never tightened the clamp on the intake. Total DUHHH moment.
You were surely exhausted from positioning it.

I HATE that one. The clamp needs to be in a particular orientation, too. Don't ask me why I have nightmares....
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
The clamp needs to be in a particular orientation, too. Don't ask me why I have nightmares....
Wait!!! Did you really have to post that?? Particular orientation? The worm gear was 'under' the hose and facing outwards. I was able to get a socket on it with a wobbly extension while lying atop the engine and secure it. Please explain 'particular orientation'!

Bob
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mieczkow View Post
Bob, I am in the same situation as you regarding spare fitment. I have the same HySpec brake calipers on the front and have never dealt with the spare issue. I will carry a can of tire seal and I do carry a tire plug kit but I would rather not have to go that route if possible. If you come up with a solution please keep me in mind. If you go the route of machining a spacer I would gladly throw my hat in the ring if you get an additional one made for me - of course I would pay and reimburse you for your time and effort.

Tom Mieczkowski
Tom:
The spare tire fits without brake caliper interference with my 20mm spacers fitted. HOWEVER....the tapered wheel bolts are too long and do not capture the steel wheel as it is thinner than the alloy wheel. Also, the steel wheel is not hub centric (!!) and likely accounts for the warning on the wheel to not exceed 50mph with the wheel fitted. Photos below...inexplicably wrongly oriented.

I'll need a set of shorter, tapered bolts to secure the spare wheel, which (I suspect) do not exist. Any suggestions?

Bob
Attached Images

Last edited by BobWeber; 04-07-2019 at 04:14 PM.
post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:06 PM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
I was able to get a socket on it with a wobbly extension while lying atop the engine and secure it. Please explain 'particular orientation'!
You nailed it Bob... AKA "Mr Lucky"

If the head of the hose clamp moves away from you as it tightens, sometimes you need to loosen ans swivel it around.

PS: I try not to lay on the engine...

++++++++++

Your car looks great with the white wheel. Time to buy three more!
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:15 PM

Atwell:
2 credits for positioning the clamp correctly. Minus 4 credits for failing to tighten it. The worm gear attempted to move away from me, but a hand wiggled under the intake (after removing the plenum) allowed me to keep it in place. Odd part of the leak was that it descended-down in a few places leading me down many paths.

I wanted to label that photo with the white wheel as 'For Mature Audiences Only'. Getting that 175X70X14 tire out of the well is a PITA! A 165X65X14 is 1.2" smaller in diameter and Tire Rack has one for $74. Once I get the wheel bolt solved (likely buying some 14mmX1.5mm bolts and having a machine shop shorten the shank to 20mm), I'll likely get one of those tires to ease the extraction/insertion issue.
post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:13 PM

Bob,

Well I see only three options - shorten the threaded end of the bolt or (a) either mount a spacer/washer on the back side of the spare to push the spare out another 3/32's or so to get the tapers to seat on the spare rim surface. I'll have to look at the back of the spare I have in the shop tomorrow to see if that's feasible as an attachment to the spare itself (washer/spacer option) or (b) adding small spacers to the main 20 mm spacer again by epoxy or by a small weld of some sort? That would be easiest I think. The additional small spacers would only need to be held for positioning as tightening the bolts would provide the mechanical strength to retain the spare in place. A bit more work and expense would be option (c) modifying the wheel bolts. I would think one would have to get an additional set of wheel bolts, do a very clean slice off the ends - best done on a lathe I would think. In any event regardless of what option one chooses I would think for sure one would want to abide by the "do not exceed 50 mph" rule.

Can you tell me your source for the wheel 20 mm wheel spacer? One way or another I'll have to get one.

Tom
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
A[snip] Getting that 175X70X14 tire out of the well is a PITA! A 165X65X14 is 1.2" smaller in diameter and Tire Rack has one for $74. [snip]
That 165/65 14 shorter diameter - by the numbers:

Factory OEM (85-88 4 cyl Turbo)
663 mm/26.1" REAR WHEEL (factory OEM 235/60-15)
615 mm/24.2" FRONT WHEEL (factory OEM 195/60-15)
602 mm/23.7" SPARE WHEEL (factory OEM 175/70-14)

570 mm/22.4" proposed would be almost 2" lower in the front and almost 4" lower in the rear!

I believe using the 175/70-14 is safer by keeping your chassis up higher from other damage while limping home.

FYI - I'm bummed out about the 50 MPH limit - yes - that non-hub-centric steel wheel sucks more than I realized.

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Dreaded Prior Owner

I'm going to bore the (oversized) centers out of these eBay 15mm 5x120 spacers and press/weld in a new center that I can machine down to 71mm hub-centric for the Lotus hub. This will allow me to bolt it on with 12x1.5 x 45mm lug bolts, which should give me 20mm thread engagement in the disc flange.

I did not spend much time looking for an existing spacer that had 71mm dimensions, they may be out there. Hubcentric adapter rings might make a combo that works on the flange side

The spare pictured above would be hub-centric, if the spacer spigot was the right dimension, not sure why the spare is different than the road wheels.

If I have material and time available to make two, Tom has dibs on the extra including the 45mm lugs. I have to finish a TurboTax battle and fit my larger lathe chuck before I can start these.
Attached Images

Last edited by snowrx; 05-04-2019 at 01:29 PM.
post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:56 AM

Many thanks! In the meantime I will be carrying my plug kit and minicompressor in case I get a puncture :-)

Tom
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:39 PM

you can buy 14x1.5 lug bolts on Ebay in various lengths to suite your need
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:37 PM

To secure the steel wheel with the 20mm H&R spacers, you will need a shank length of 20mm or less. I've searched and found the shortest bolt is 24mm...
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrx View Post
If I have material and time available to make two, Tom has dibs on the extra including the 45mm lugs. I have to finish a TurboTax battle and fit my larger lathe chuck before I can start these.
After this very gracious offer I went to the shop and checked my hub diameter - it's 60 mm for an '89 Esprit Turbo (with the stock 15" wheels on the front). Ah, well... it's back to the tire plug kit and the 12V mini-compressor. At least I won't have to drive at "not to exceed 50 mph" :-)

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in