The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

glass roof fitment questions

6K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  beinmymirror 
#1 ·
I just purchased a used glass roof for my esprit, and I have a couple questions on fitment:

1) how well does the glass roof fit vs. the fiberglass roof? just from a quick check, the glass roof I bought doesn't seem to follow the contour of the roof perfectly. :eek: At the rear edge that borders the boot/hatch, the outside corners of the glass roof can be adjusted to the same level as the rest of the roof, but the center is lower than the roof line. If I raise the rear of the glass roof so that the center of the rear of the it meets the center of the body roof line, then the rear outside edges (by the hinges) are sticking up above the roof line. It's as if the glass roof panel isn't as convex as the roof.

2) When installed, is the glass roof supposed to be relatively flush with the body roof line of the Esprit or should the glass roof be a bit sunken below the roof line?

I am trying to figure out how much adjusting I need to make to the various tabs and such to make the glass roof sit right in my Esprit. Also, it appears that the seller sent me the wrong gasket, too. :facepalm

If anyone of you could post close up and pics of how your glass roof fits along the body lines, I'd greatly appreciate it ! I'm not sure how much adjusting I need to do.

thanks,

Andrew

See less See more
#2 ·
Just to confirm there are two different sets of rubber seals, one for the composite roof and one for the glass roof as the former is somewhat thicker than the glass roof. I have the glass roof fitted on my V8 and at the back the glass is slightly below the roof line, gradually increasing to flush in the middle and then slightly higher than the roof line at the front. The horizontal gap between the roof and the glass is larger at the front than at the back. Hope this helps.

#13 ·
HI Guys, just got a and I also have the OEM Lotus weather stripping for the glass roof.

If I install the glass roof weather stripping will the composite roof still fit? Basically, are they interchangeable once you have the glass weather seal installed or does that mean the car is now a glass roof car, put the composite roof in storage?

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
That's the same one I currently have. The front metal tongues that insert into the front roof section is a tighter fit than either the plexi or GRP roof. Once it is in position the roof works like it should. The plexi fits better as I suspect it was was easier to plane and shape the plexi as opposed to a sheet of glass.

I prefer my old plexi roof that was the OEM on my former 90 as it did not have penetrations and visible hardware on the outside of the roof and gutter seal was superior. It was also felt lighter in weight and during roof removal, handling a sheet of glass as opposed to plexi worried me a little.

Years ago I did contact the supplier of the OEM roof sniffing around for leftover parts and perhaps even a roof laying around in storage but they were long gone or discarded even back then.

#7 ·
Hi Andrew,

If your glass top does not sit flush after the taller seal is in place, you could have a glass roof panel for a G-car. I currently have the reverse issue, as the convex is to great and the glass sits slightly above the roof line in the center. Your post communicated the opposite - sitting slightly below in the center.

While I was originally told there was only one glass top for all Esprits (with different part numbers) - this does not appear to be the correct. Sometimes we learn the hard way, as I am currently invested in the more curved Stevens / V8 glass roof and need the flatter G-car glass top.

I am certainly open to a trade (with anyone) should we be able to help each other out. Mine is perfect with all hardware and storage bag. Looks like it was never used. Ken

#9 · (Edited)
[snip]
If your glass top does not sit flush after the taller seal is in place, you could have a glass roof panel for a G-car.[snip]
While I was originally told there was only one glass top for all Esprits (with different part numbers) - this does not appear to be the correct. Sometimes we learn the hard way, as I am currently invested in the more curved Stevens / V8 glass roof and need the flatter G-car glass top.
[snip]
I've never seen a G car glass top, but this photo composite shows the 87 Esprit has PIN SOCKETS on the OUTSIDE of the sunroof opening.

The 88 Stevens Esprit has a PLASTIC TAB/CLAMP assembly on the INSIDE of the sunroof opening. These are not compatible; there is an outside chance the glass may/may not be the same (I don't know as I've never seen a G car glass top in person). Note my 88 driver handbook also documents different CLAMPs for 88 MY.

#8 ·
This is turning it to be interesting. I had no idea that there were multiple versions if the glass roof. Light tinted, dark tinted... I didn't know that there were G cars with glass roofs either. Everything looks good now with my roof. Once the thicker gasket was installed, it helped lift the center if the glass to better fit the shape of the roof line, I guess. I'll have to take as picture and post it.

#10 · (Edited)
[snip] I didn't know that there were G cars with glass roofs either. [snip]
The glass top for G cars showed up first on the 1983 'Investor' Esprits. But according to the ReMarque article (reciting from my fragile memory), the glass top was not made available to G car owners until 1986/87. That's why they are so rare. I know an 84 Esprit I saw up close had a fixed roof (not a removeable composite).

Can't easily see here, but definitely a fixed roof in person:

#11 ·
Yes, my 1986 has the same plastic tab / clamp arrangement as the 1988 and later S cars. Feels and looks very familar to what I had on my V8's. I will re-eyeball the open top area, but do not believe I have holes for the orientation pins.

The glass on my top has a curve / convex that does not allow it to fit flush once tabbed and clapped into place. Fits nice at the rear and the sides, but sits above the front edge by a few MM, with the correct taller seal in place. I think this is because the glass on a G car top is flatter / straighter. Ken

#12 · (Edited)
A late follow up. I got permission to show this picture from a current eBay ad - a 1987 Esprit HCI with the interior roof picture. This picture clearly shows the PIN mechanism (vs. the Steven's Esprit with the plastic clamp/tabs in the earlier part of the thread).

So it sounds like some 87 Esprits have completely different room treatments; some are Giugiaro-only and others appear to have Stevens-type sun roof attachment mechanisms:

Compare my Stevens Esprit clamps to this picture and you can see no interchangeability:

Attachments

#14 ·
If it doesn't leak....it's right. After that it's all beauty in the eye of the beholder. Life is so much simpler when one doesn't sweat details. Get a hose to find out if you've done the job right...even if you won't drive it in the rain. No matter what your top will make creaking noises......because it's a Lotus

#18 ·
Guys,

I have no idea what the part number was for the taller gasket at Advance Auto. I just went in there....and it was right on the shelf. It was the only one they had.
I just looked on their website but couldn't find it. Try stopping in one of their stores.

#23 ·
Here's the weatherstripping I got from SJS years ago (being bundled with my glass top when I finally get around to selling it).
The McMasters has bottom half as 33/64" (1/2" and that seems same here). Overall height is 53/64 or just under 1".

The SJS one is similar but over height is 1.125" tall.

Seems like the McMasters would do fine height-wise

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.