Head Gasket - Page 5 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Back home

Successful start-up and drive home. Running wonderfully. So happy to have my Lotus back on the street! I have a video but it's too big to post here (50MB) so I will try and post it on Facebook .
Esprit2, lotus4s, Turbo R and 2 others like this.

Tom Mieczkowski
1989 Esprit Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

The video is on Facebook in the Lotus Owners and Enthusiasts group.
Esprit2 likes this.

Tom Mieczkowski
1989 Esprit Turbo
post #83 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 06:05 AM
Integrator

Garage

post #84 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Mr. D. The car feels very strong, very pleased so far with the results. Only remaining issue is I've lost my back-up camera connection but I haven't taken the time to trace down the problem. Because I replaced the shifter and needed to access the chassis spine I did a lot of removal of stuff related to the center console. I either disconnected or severed my camera input. I need to trace that down and fix it. But tomorrow I'm going fishing with my son so that will have to wait a few days.
carbuff, DaveS4s and Seraph like this.

Tom Mieczkowski
1989 Esprit Turbo
post #85 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 10:35 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Inquiring minds want to know: How many tackle boxes can you cram into the trunk of an Esprit?

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #86 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

No need for that Atwell. We went out on what we old mariners call a "head boat" - a large-scale fishing boat that goes out daily into the Gulf of Mexico out of Clearwater Beach. Called a "head boat" because they make money on a per-person charge basis. They supply tackle and bait. Fishing was not great today but my son managed to catch a beautiful keeper gag grouper that topped 25". We (including now the wife and daughter) took it to one of our favorite local Thai restaurants where they are happy to cook up your catch and serve it to you. We had a great dinner with a fish that hadn't been out of the water more than 3 hours before it got deliciously cooked up Thai-style. Actually there was so much fish that we got it served in four distinct sauce dishes and still took half of it home for leftovers tomorrow.

And I found the problem with my back-up camera - disconnected input jack. What a great day!

Tom Mieczkowski
1989 Esprit Turbo
post #87 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 10:00 AM

You are so lucky to live there, Tom! I really love it out there and the fish/seafood out there is downright amazing...unbelievably good! Nothing compares to enjoying fish that was just caught a couple hours earlier. I've noticed that some restaurants will take your fresh catch and prepare it in different ways for a small fee in Florida...we have nothing like that out here. All that and an Esprit in that setting too...life is good!!! Congrats on getting her back on the road!

Forget about the tackle boxes, Atwell...some of these boats have WINGS!!!

Happy Fourth of July holiday, all!!!
Attached Images

esprit888, snowrx and Seraph like this.
post #88 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:12 PM
Dreaded Prior Owner

Another year, another head gasket failure. Getting tired of this...

New liners, straight head, ARP studs, no overheat, boost <= 10psi, just missing coolant, green #3 plug and a failed block test. Hardly driven the car this year. <insert profane annoyance here>

Anyone working on closed deck girdles for the 910? Or a ultra mega o-ringed copper gasket?

1985 BRG Turbo Esprit
Chargecooled w/Megasquirt EFI
post #89 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrx View Post
Another year, another head gasket failure. Getting tired of this...

New liners, straight head, ARP studs, no overheat, boost <= 10psi, just missing coolant, green #3 plug and a failed block test. Hardly driven the car this year. <insert profane annoyance here>

Anyone working on closed deck girdles for the 910? Or a ultra mega o-ringed copper gasket?
did you check to make sure the coolant system is holding pressure?

Also, which head gasket are you using?

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

My Lotus Project Photo Collection

Last edited by Vulcan Grey; 09-03-2019 at 06:16 PM.
post #90 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:36 PM

Garage
Oh man. That sucks

94 Esprit S4 - Silver
Previous - lots of hot rod Air Cooled 911s
[email protected]
post #91 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo R View Post
You are so lucky to live there, Tom! I really love it out there and the fish/seafood out there is downright amazing...unbelievably good! Nothing compares to enjoying fish that was just caught a couple hours earlier. I've noticed that some restaurants will take your fresh catch and prepare it in different ways for a small fee in Florida...we have nothing like that out here. All that and an Esprit in that setting too...life is good!!! Congrats on getting her back on the road!

Forget about the tackle boxes, Atwell...some of these boats have WINGS!!!

Happy Fourth of July holiday, all!!!
Fishing on boats like that will rip the lips right off the fish...

Mike

'83 Esprit Turbo (The Fabulous Trashwagon)
'87 Esprit Turbo (FrankEnSPRIT)
'90 St Tropez Turbo
'04 Boxster S
'05 CO Elise, LSS, Touring, Hardtop, among others
post #92 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Grey View Post
Also, which head gasket are you using?
Also, which head studs are installed in the block? The original A-prefix, low-spec studs (A907E0224ZD), or the later B-prefix, high-spec studs(B907E0224Z) .

Which torque spec are you using on the nuts when installing the head?

The manual for your 1985 Turbo Esprit would have the original low torque spec that was intended for the A-prefix 'weak' studs.

70 lbs-ft ( 9.7 kgf-m) Front & Rear Pairs.
75 lbs-ft (10.4 kgf-m) Three Middle Pairs.
Oiled threads & washers.

That's too low for the current composite head gasket.

When the composite gasket was introduced in Jan 1993, it was a package deal that included new, upgraded head studs plus a new torque spec & procedure. When installing a composite head gasket in an older (pre-'93) engine, you should have also replaced the studs with either the B-prefix studs or the aftermarket ARP studs.

Instead of a torque wrench, the new spec called for the use of a Torque Angle Meter (TAM). The new torque spec was:

Cylinder head (tighten cold, oiled threads & washers):
i) 20 Nm (initial pre-load via a torque wrench)
ii) + 75 Degrees
iii) + 40 Degrees
iv) Wait 5 minutes minimum (longer is better)
v) + 20 Degrees

That's not only a different method, it also produces a significantly higher clamp load.

ARP requires the application of their own proprietary lubricant on the threads and washer prior to torquing the nuts. Their lube spec has changed several times, and the torque spec has changed with each lube formula. So follow the torque instructions that come with the ARP lube you have. The ARP studs are all the same, the torque changes with the lube. Currently, the torque is

ARP Studs & Nuts with Lotus’ 1993-onward Goetze Composite Head Gasket
110 lbs-ft (15.2 kgf-m) All Studs, ARP Ultra Torque Lube applied to threads & washer.

Besides the higher torque, the ARP studs & nuts also use a fine pitch thread (a narrower 'wedge' angle). The result is a significantly higher 'clamp load' on the head. However, I fear that ARP's torque spec is right for their own product (the studs) without having any specific knowledge of the engine you're putting them into. It's the same old aluminum threads in the 9XX cylinder block that's hanging onto those new ARP studs, and resisting all that higher torque & clamp load. I've recently heard from a shop in Colorado that installed ARP studs in a customer's Jensen-Healey's 907. The ARP torque pulled one of the studs right out of the block. I'm not saying don't use ARP studs... just that I wish I knew more about the specifics.

So... have you been using the original studs and torque for your '85? Or later studs and higher torque? With the old studs & torque, you aren't taking advantage of the composite gasket's capability.

Regards,
Tim Engel
post #93 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:50 AM
Dreaded Prior Owner

Travis, The engine would repeatedly hold pressure for hours when cold. A gradual failure that took some time to confirm. Hot it would act like it had a pocket of air in the system, so I chased that for a while as it traded coolant from the header to the recovery tank. Head gasket was the JAE #E-7029-912-HD. Previous gasket I think I got from Kemp.

Tim, I've had the ARP studs for the last two failures, although at least once I was torquing to the low end of the spec because I too had a stud pull from the 910 block at maybe 80 ftlbs, which makes you a little shy about 90-110 ftlbs. Getting a thread insert that deep into the block is not fun, and gets you thinking about engine swaps.

1985 BRG Turbo Esprit
post #94 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 06:30 PM

You also must follow the specs for "nip" aka cylinder liner protrusion. Do you know for sure it is a blown head gasket or could it be a liner seal leak? Confirm with a combustion gas test. Even then it could be a cracked head, not a gasket. If it happened right after the last job and you hardly drove it, it sounds like there was some kind of mistake made during the last job and not a new failure.
David Teitelbaum
post #95 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 09:26 AM
Dreaded Prior Owner

JT,
I did have combustion gas in the coolant. And at the end, drips out the exhaust. Have not pulled this one out yet, but past failures look to be at the lower edge of the fire ring, with delamination of the gasket material at the failure.

-JAE answered the phone "Head Gaskets Unlimited!"

1985 BRG Turbo Esprit
post #96 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 09:46 AM

just something to contemplate, if i remember correctly Jim knowles blew a head gasket due to overboost spikes. with the MS3 conversion are you absolutely certain you are not experiencing such an event?
post #97 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 03:39 PM
Dreaded Prior Owner

Good thought, but I'm pretty much looking at the datalog for every drive at this point and boost is staying very close to 10 psi max target, and my boost fuel cut is about 11psi and I've not been hitting that.

1985 BRG Turbo Esprit
post #98 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 04:07 PM

are you measuring AFR? A lean burn could degrade the head gasket pretty quick?
If so, what A:F ratios are you shooting for?

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

My Lotus Project Photo Collection
post #99 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 05:53 PM

If you did have a gasket failure it most certainly could be the "nip" not to spec. Do you by any chance have the measurements from the last head job? Not only is there a spec on the necessary minimum and maximum, there is a certain amount allowed between each cylinder and it has to be in an ascending order.
David Teitelbaum
post #100 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:48 AM
Dreaded Prior Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Grey View Post
are you measuring AFR? A lean burn could degrade the head gasket pretty quick?
If so, what A:F ratios are you shooting for?
Yes, running a new AEM WBO2 feeding the ECU. Pretty rich under load, leaner at cruise and drop throttle. Plugs looked OK.

Ignore the red at idle, That's rich misfire as I chase a low idle/ low voltage injector dead time issue.
Attached Images

1985 BRG Turbo Esprit

Last edited by snowrx; 09-06-2019 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Add jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in